Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Pen Tablet & Windows Ink

Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everybody.

With the latest Photoshop update (21.2.2), the fix we had  to get the pressure sensitivity back with the PSUserConfig.txt fix is no longer working.

This fix was necessary to work properly with a Pen Stylus on Windows, without using the Windows Ink features.

We are used to turn of  Windows Ink systematicaly when using a Pen Tablet because it causes a lot of issues. (Wacom and other brands)

Why Windows Ink is not suitable 

Windows Ink ON :

1-There is a 1 second delay with every new clic and drag before the cursor catches up with the stylus. It happens when dragging a window, using a slider to adjust a value (in photoshop or any other app), resizing a layer, and even when drawing. So the begining of each new stroke will freeze for 1 sec before catching up to the movement of the stylus. You can imagine the hell it can be when hatching, or doing fast repetitive movements/adjustements.

2-Certain applications, like Chrome for exemple, don't respond to the stylus for certain things. You can't move the chrome window around at all when windows ink is enabled. You can't drag and drop email in your inbox from one tab to another, some clics and double clics aren't registered at all ...etc.

3-Windows Pen & Stylus fonctionnalites are working against a fluid use of a Stylus. Especially the infamous "Press and hold" setting, that needs to be disabled systematically if you don't want this "mouse freezing blue circle of death" to appear each time you stop moving your hand for more than half of a second. (I suspect this functionnality to be responsible for the lag before each new stroke, even when you have it turned off)

4-Just while typing this post, I've discoverd a new issue. With Windows Ink enabled, it is impossible to select text by dragging over it with the stylus. I had to drop it and use my mouse each time I wanted to edit a sentence.

Windows Ink OFF:

1-Everything works perfectly.

2-Pressure sensitivity in Photoshop is gone, and need to be reactivated with PSUserConfig.

These are all the reasons (I can think of right now) why we have no choice but to disable Windows Ink, and use the WinTab alternative to get the pressure sensitivity back in Photoshop.

I hope you now understand why enabling Windows Ink is not a solution.

We had a solution, please do not take it away from us.

I'm assuming that everyone would love to use regular settings, and not to have to tamper with this kind of work around, but unfortunatly that is not possible.

Again, using WinTab is not a choice, it is essential for any serious workflow.

I'm currently paying for the full Adobe suite, and not being able to work properly is a big issue right now. Not knowing when this will be resolved is very worrisome.

PS: "Windows Ink" or "Pen and Touch" drivers on Windows, are currently pushing for touch and tablet functionnalities. These are cumbersome and unfit for any professional Stylus use.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020
Hi all,

We've made some updates to this issue in the Photoshop 21.2.3 update and are hoping things are better for those affected here.
Can you give it a go and let us know how it goes for you?

To update Photoshop to 21.2.3, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 104 Replies 104
104 Comments
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nice update, how is possible to paint now with Zero reference...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Da constantes problemas, también actualiza el soft de tu pen table, que puede ser incompatible. revisa los ultimos driver

Yo desinstalaría adobe, completamente 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's already a entry about this error.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-2201-brush-size-and-hardness-not-di... 

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Seth_Anton Yep, we're fixing this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate