• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Pen tilt partially unresponsive since latest update

Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although control is set to Pen Tilt in the Brush Settings for Angle Jitter, the angle of the brush tip remains constant.  It only changes when you make a stroke, yet stays at the same angle even if the pen tilts in a different direction during that stroke.

This issue comes up with the latest update of Photoshop (v21.1, Windows 10), on both a Cintiq 22HD & a Cintiq Pro 24" (Wacom driver 6.3.38-2).

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
36 Comments
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

me too... back to 21.0.3
Yves Crausaz, Suisse, retraité actif dans le monde de la photo et des arts graphiques.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terence, do you have WinTab enabled on Windows 10?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think so.  Does it come with Windows 10 on a desktop PC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an override setting for Photoshop with text file placed with preferences. Doesn't sound like you've set that. In your Wacom driver, do you have Windows Ink disabled?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows Ink is enabled.  If I disable it, I lose both pen tilt & pen pressure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here in v21.1 on Windows 10 :
The brush tip remains at the same angle when hoevering with the penand only  responds to tilt on initial touchdown (using Windows Ink). The brush tip remains at that same initial angle throughout the stroke, although the actual stroke laid down on the canvas  is responding to tilt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This reply is not helpful, I just need to say how frustrating it has been since the most recent update of Photoshop 21.1 No live brush tip rotation preview. Adobe blames Wacom and Wacom blames Windows and no one seems willing to solve this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to also throw my hat into this, this just cost me like an hour trying to fix before I realized it was an update, and this is a very important thing I need, I paid for pen that allows rotation I need to be able to utilize it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just been online with Adobe and they have admitted that update 21.1 has "performance issues". Their technical team is working to get the problems fixed ASAP and provide a new update. In the mean time, they suggest we reinstall the previous version of Photoshop.

To solve brush preview and modifier popup issues, here are the settings to put in a txt file and paste into the User/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Photoshop 2020 Settings folder:

# Use WinTab

UseSystemStylus 0

This tells Photoshop to NOT use windows ink. Make sure that Use Windows ink in Wacom pen settings is UNchecked. Launch Photoshop.

This gives a live preview of brush rotation/tilt as well as gets rid of the modifier key pop-ups. It will only work in Photoshop older than 21.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see my response, I have put the patch/workaround information in there. It only works in previous versions of Photoshop, not the latest 21.1, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what should this txt file be named?  

this location: ?      C:\Users\"myusername"\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PSUserConfig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with using Wintab is that it is severely broken in 21.1 and leads to false strokes run to the top left 0,0 point,
The Windows Ink issues are easier to live with 😞
Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a brush controls the angle of the brush with Tilt. Prior to the latest update, i was able to hover my intuos pen and see the angle of the brush cursor update in real time. Now the cursor is stuck on 1 angle, it only updates after I put the pen down to make a mark.

Windows 10 + Intuos Pro

Also have windows ink enabled.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, given that this works with Photoshop 21.0.3 but not 21.1.x, while everything else stays the same, I'd say that it's most likely a bug on Adobe's side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also occurs with Wacom's Art Pen barrel rotation. Seems to me like the entire brush preview is broken in this release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm this. It makes the rotation feature of the Art Pen really difficult to use. It's unfortunate that this hasn't been addressed in the newest version yet, I guess I'll keep staying on 21.0.3 for a while 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 21.1.2 lists pen tilt as a "fixed issue". It is not fixed 😞

There is a slight improvement in that the cursor does respond before touchdown so the initial tilt can be seen before starting a stroke.
However, just as with 21.1.1 the actual brush stroke laid down on the canvas does respond to tilt but the brush cursor remains at the same angle throughout the stroke.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very disheartening. I have spent hours online with Adobe about this over the years. If they can't fix it, it means I will be stuck using an older version forever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This latest PS update did not fix anything, recommend an easy to use screen/video capture program to help explain this -  will have to roll back to 21 0 3. 
Hand tool - click drag and let go, the screen jumps back to where you started, mouse and tablet, using hand tool or holding down spacebar to temporary use.
Change to brush tool - click (mouse or tablet) and all the previous movements you made with the hand tool are drawn as one crazy brush movement.
It seems any tool you use next plays out those erroneous hand tool movements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The tilt issue is somewhat resolved. But something else broke. Just take a hard round brush, turn off all transfer and shape dynamics and start writing sentences. You will see that it will make random connections between different strokes. It's getting worse lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

barrel rotation with the Art Pen should be fixed in 21.1.2.  If it's not, please let me know.  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David.  I'm not seeing the cursor update during painting either in earlier versions 19.x and 20.x.  I'm not sure live cursor update while painting has ever worked.  Is there a previous version where this worked for you?  There was a bug in 21.1.1 where the cursor and tilt for DTip brushes broke - that is what we fixed.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is fixed in 21.1.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,