• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop can't open, freezes on splash image, uses all of ram trying to open then crashes.

Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2024 Aug 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have googled every possible variation of this problem and tried every fix for this problem, none of them worked. I have tried reinstalling photoshop, deleting everything even remotely related to photohop in the appdata, deleting custom fonts, restarting the computer, updating graphics and computer, and holding every possible combination of alt, ctrl and shift while trying to launch in administrator mode. The result is always the same. It opens the splash image, gets to loading preferences or brushes, spikes RAM usage to every last byte of RAM I have, freezes the computer, then crashes.

And no i'm not running it on a potato i'm running it on an Alienware Aurora 4090, it should have more than enough power to handle this and Photoshop ran perfectly fine for months. Then just today it crashed and has never started up again.

Photoshop version 25.11

Help.

Bug Fixed Locked
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Aug 06, 2024 Aug 06, 2024

UPDATE

We identified a problem with a recent Adobe update that caused Photoshop and several other Adobe beta apps to fail to launch. We’ve released an updated installer to fix this problem. Please download and install the latest Creative Cloud beta applications. This update should resolve the launch issue.

Thanks,

Cory - Photoshop Product Manager

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Aug 06, 2024 Aug 06, 2024

Hey, I solved the problem!!! Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner tool to remove all the BETA applications... ALL of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 813 Replies 813
813 Comments
Enthusiast ,
Aug 06, 2024 Aug 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two Mac systems here: neither will open; just hangs on start screen. Tried Beta/Regular - nope. Tried older versions - nope. Tried disconnecting from internet. Nope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not able to get Photoshop to run either, I've even tried the latest beta's.  It won't get past "Reading preferences..."

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been facing the exact same issue. It's been several hours without resolution. I've tried resetting preferences, updating my cumulative OS Windows 10 22H2, and installing the latest NVIDIA drivers for my RTX 3090 graphics card. I've restarted my machine around six times and reinstalled Photoshop, the beta, and older versions multiple times. It always freezes at the "Reading preferences..." stage. It's been frustrating, and I've had to resort to using the web version.

I don't know what else to try...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I trie ddoing the recommended "Clean" application. Followd ll the instruction.s Nope.  I think something this sudden and this  widespread is likely an Adobe/Cloud conflict - not a local computer issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope so too. I can open After Effects without any issues, but Illustrator is having the same problem. I'm not sure if you're experiencing this with other adobe applications as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing just happened today.  Have not used Photoshop in a few days, but just noticed today. This is crazy.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop lastest version was working fine, today I tried to open the app but it is stuck on lunching and not opening at all, last few days I had a problem with which is when I was closing the app send immedetly error and I was send repot all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, Illustrator too. After Effects and Premiere Pro are working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all - try uninstalling any beta applications you may have installed. You can use the Creative Cloud cleaner tool if unsure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Impossible d'ouvrir photoshop ou photshop BETA ce soir, generation systematqiue d'erruer ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Велике спасибі мій друже, ти просто врятував мене!! Видалення всіх бета-версій дійсно допомогло!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

p.s. i don't think the adobe website, and forums in particular, are easy to navigate, so don't spend a lot of time searching that forum list. do your best and we'll move the post (like this one has already been moved) if it helps you get responses.

<"moved from cc desktop bugs">

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2024-08-06 132744.pngScreenshot 2024-08-06 132849.pngScreenshot 2024-08-06 133315.pngScreenshot 2024-08-06 133413.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Видаліть всі бета-версії, які є у вас на ПК, тоді фотошоп буде працювати!! Схоже, це проблема з останнім бета-оновленням.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all that are suffering the same issues.  I was able to get some Adobe support and we deterined that some of the extension files had to be deleted and then it opened.  He said it was something from the last update and Adobe was working to correct it.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delete all the beta versions you have on your PC, then photoshop will work!! This appears to be an issue with the latest beta update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I've been recently facing this issue, and as mentioned I've done everything. My Photoshop version is 2024. All other Adobe software is working just fine but Photoshop or Photoshop Beta is not opening, the loading screen pops up, but several times it was getting sucked on " Loading Fonts List" then the recently it got stuck on " Reading Preferences " and it stopped responding. Also, one time it showed "Catch in IPhotoshopApplication: class std::bad_alloc : bad Allocation" My storage is sufficient, and my RAM/ memory of my system is also functioning, but why am I not able to open any version of Photoshop, I can't find out. Looking for a solution, I've tried updating, reinstalling, deleting all my settings and preferences and opening but I couldn't find a fix.  Please I need desperate help for this problem. 

RakeshKumar5EA8_1-1722979141056.png

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-07 at 02.49.39.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@juan_carlosv41333183 do you have a copy of the PS Beta installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have anything to offer as far as help goes, but I'm having the same issue. Both PS 24 and the beta hang at "Reading Preferences". Very annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed an issue with the latest beta application updates that was preventing Photoshop from launching. After uninstalling ALL beta applications, Photoshop opens. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive tried everything to get photopsho to open and I'm still stuck.  It gets to here or the preferences load message, then freezes and starts using 100% of my 64gb of ram

I've tried -

PS beta, photoshop 24, and other older versions, and they all lock up around here

I've tried deleting preference folders, cache folders, plug in folders, font folders, etc.

I've tried full unistalls

I've tried updating my computer, unistalling and reinstalling GPU drivers

nothing seems to have any effect IMG_3292.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today Aug 6th, I have the same issue. @bellomostudios  have you open it? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Photoshop for over a year and Ive never encountered this bug.

I uninstalled everything and re-installed from the Creative Cloud app...still same issue.

Photoshop gets stuck at ''Reading Preferences'' then crashes after 2minutes.

How can I fix this ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hola. Despues de usar la pc un gran rato editando, quise iniciar adobe photoshop beta (y sin querer, abri ilustrator tambien) cuando de repente ambos se quedaron tildados previo al inicio (pantalla de carga). Simplemente pasó eso y ahora no puedo iniciar ninguno de los 2 programas.
Ya los desinstalé y los volvi a instalar.
Ya entre a Nvidia gf experience (donde me tiró el error 0x0003, que supuse que fue por lo de los programas pero ya lo solucione desinstalando y instalando nuevamente)
Ya actualice drivers.
---
Hoy estuve editando bastante, estuve con el programa Blender y photoshop sin problemas. Ademas, la compu es buena y preparada para diseño, tengo una ROGSTRIX 4060, buena placa madre, 32gb de ram, etc etc.
Por eso me sorprende que haya ocurrido esto.
Alguno tiene una solucion por favor? tengo que entregar muchos proyectos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!! That worked for me as well

Votes

Translate

Translate