• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop fills up C: drive space causing scratch disc errors

Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2017 Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My coworker and I ran the new 18.0.1 update on our computers yesterday. Both updates appeared to have been successful and we proceeded to process images over the next hour. We both at the same time started getting scratch disc errors. We proceeded to delete out all our temp files. This did not fix the problem. 

We decided to take a closer look at our C: Drive. It appeared full. This was weird as we both had around 300GB available earlier that day. We ran a defrag just to be sure it wasn't a windows problem (We are running Windows 7.) This cleared up the 300GB. 

However once we started retouching images again the Drive would rapidly lose space again. in one photo save my coworker lost 20GB. My coworker lost 300GB in an hour and I lost 250 GB in the same hour. 

We have reverted our versions of photoshop back to the previous version and this seems to have fixed the problem. However we would really appreciate if someone could look into and fix this issue in the next update.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017
This should be fixed by today's update: Photoshop CC 2017.1.1 (May 2017) Update Now Available

Votes

Translate

Translate
14 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you remember if restarting the application freed up the Scratch disk? When you had the previous build installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When we had the 18.0.1 it did not makes a difference. 

The version before that I do not know. I just know that we did not have any issues with it before the install and that we were always around 300GB of free space. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amanda,

Can you tell us a little more about your workflow.  What type of files are you processing and what operations are you running on them?

Thanks,Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

W are processing 8x10 300 dpi jpegs. RGB files. We do you basic retouching to them using the patch tool and colour corrections using the curves layers. Nothing really that special and it has never caused problems in the last 5 years that we have done this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amanda, that's exactly what I needed and we're now able to reproduce the issue here.  We're currently investigating and will get a fix out asap.  Thanks again for your help with this.  And for now, the workaround is to downgrade to 18.0.1.  Instructions install prior version/update can be found here: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/download-install-app.html#Install_previous_versions_of_a...

See also: Scratch Disk error after running Photoshop CC 2017.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent. Thanks for checking into this. 

We have both downgraded our versions of photoshop for now and that seems to have fixed the problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I
installed the latest Photoshop update I (Version 2017.1.)
I encountered big difficulties. When working the program quickly ate up all the
Virtual memory and was unable to function.

I have 32gb of RAM and 50gb free
space on my SSD. I have not had any problems like this before I installed the
update. I could see the space on my SSD going down from 50GB to 175mb quickly.
When I turn PS of the space returns again. Photoshop has 70% of the ram allocated
to it.

I have now rolled back to
previous version and the problem seems to have gone away. I am not overly keen
on installing this update again. Rather wait for the next one

Is this a known problem and will
it be fixed on the next update? 

My spec.

Windows 7 pro 64

Kingston HyperX 3k SSD 120GB 2,5
(windows)

WD desktop Black 4tb

Corsair vengeance DDR3 32gb 1600MHz

AMD fx 8350 4 ghz

asus nvidia geforce gtx 780
directcu ii 3GB vram

MSI 980 gaming motherboard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those affected by this issue, if you're interested in helping us test and confirm the fix, please email me at:  first name dot last name at adobe dot com

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will email you separately Adam but just to add to this post, the same happened to me. It was not my drive C but instead, an additional drive(SSD) within my desktop which had 85GB free for Photoshop scratch disk. It utilised all and as a matter of fact, it had two individual Photoshop Temp files at around 40GB each. My page file also doubled(to the Max allowed, which is 32GB). It only happened once at that extremity so a tough one to reproduce. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be fixed by today's update: Photoshop CC 2017.1.1 (May 2017) Update Now Available

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the update and all your hard work on getting this fixed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 14, 2017 May 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OS Sierra, full fresh install of OS on formatted new drive. Installed latest version of Creative Cloud, then installed 2017.1.1.  Same problem.  Scratch Disc Full. Looked into HD space, and PS had filled up 80gb on the HD.  Rolled back to each version of PS, but only could make the CC 2014 version function to get around this problem.  Let me know if you need any additional information.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 04, 2017 Jul 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Someone help, i still got this error and i am running the newest version, it's creating files like theese when i make a new picture and try to edit some text or stuff: http://prntscr.com/froxgs
PLEASE HELP ASAP

Votes

Translate

Translate