• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop Pattern Preview Needed Improvements

Explorer ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop Pattern Preview has bugs when rotating objects that need resolving - it makes it a lot of extra work to rotate and super difficult. 

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

@abbsterrr  Make sure you convert it to a smart object when it is not crossing the document bounds or when Pattern Preview is disabled. If that layer was previously transformed, there may be pieces hanging outside the document bounds which is why you had to make a selection and jump it to a new layer.  

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Hi @Deleted User ,

Many thanks for the screen recording. Looks like there could possibly be some GPU issues going on. 

Do you have Deactivate Native Canvas checked in Photoshop's preferences > Technology Previews I wonder? 

If not, does it help to check that option?

Give that a try, and when you can, please provide Photoshop's Help > System Info dialog text in this thread here and we'll take a look from there.

Regards,

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate
23 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @abbsterrr, happy to see if we can figure out what is going on.  Could you describe the steps you are doing to get to what you have shown in your screenshots? Is this something new since you last updated Ps or have you seen this issue for a while?

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this has heppened from the start, and my entire tream is having the same issue - on both PCs and Macs. when we go to rotate an object once it has been placed on the edge of the canvas, we have problems and it doesn't rotate properly. Even if we bring it back into the center of the canvas, we have to create a new layer, cut and paste the motif in the center in order to get it to rotate correctly. I would love to hop on a zoom with you to show you. . 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@abbsterrr Would it be possible for you to share the file with us or a video showing the whole Photoshop interface so that we can see what is going on and reproduce the problem here? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Macbook Pro M1 Pro. Pattern Preview works when I create a new document in Photoshop. When I open any document I've worked with before, it stops working. How can I overcome this problem?

System Info: https://justpaste.it/9berh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to upload the requested video but there is not an option for that, it is only allowing me to upload a link. I tried uploading a link to a wetranfer download. I don't have a youtube account and don't really want to make one - can you advise how to send you the video?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there @Chad Rolfs @CoryShubert I think the issues we're having are related to the Pattern Preview feature, so the topics have been merged. I took a short screen recording of my problem. You can watch at the link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ej6403wijyt74en/PatternPreview.mov?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Deleted User ,

Many thanks for the screen recording. Looks like there could possibly be some GPU issues going on. 

Do you have Deactivate Native Canvas checked in Photoshop's preferences > Technology Previews I wonder? 

If not, does it help to check that option?

Give that a try, and when you can, please provide Photoshop's Help > System Info dialog text in this thread here and we'll take a look from there.

Regards,

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@abbsterrr Thank you for the video!  Looks like the preview is not enabling and then leaves garbage behind for the next doc.  Would it be possible for you to share that file from the video with us?  

Also, can you share a screenshot of what your Preferences look like for: Performance (including Advanced Settings...) and Technology Previews?  

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Pete.Green  Thank you so much! I solved the problem with the settings you mentioned. I've shared a screenshot of the settings working fine.

2022-06-01 01.09.48.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi chad - i wasn't able to upload my video, so im not sure what video you saw, but it wasn't mine. can you advise on how i can upload a video? I tried from wetransfer but the chat box won't accept a wetranfer link and id rather not create a youtube account. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @abbsterrr, are you able to see the settings that Pete shared? They worked for the other customer in this thread, curious if they work for you?

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@abbsterrr Apologies.  It was the video from @Deleted User 

It sounds like unchecking Deactivate Native Canvas worked for Yasin.  Check your Preferences > Technology Previews and see if that is checked or not.  Whatever state it is in, try the opposite and make sure to restart Photoshop after you change that setting.  Let us know what the result is.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry i didnt see earlier in the thread - no this did not work for me - it seems the other folks are looking to solve different issues than mine. 

thanks

Abby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @abbsterrr , sorry for any confusion. A bug has been created and the team will look into your issue. 

Thanks for your patience,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

great, thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@abbsterrr The bug we have is that when Deactivate Native Canvas is enabled in Preferences > Technology Previews, Pattern Preview does not work/display correctly.  Can you confirm that making sure that is unchecked, restarting Photoshop, your problem still exists?  If you could share the video you took by pasting a link to it from somewhere like dropbox or youtube, that would be really helpful.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

confirmed that it is unchecked and the problem is still persisting with rotating objects. Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 11.53.47 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@abbsterrr Ah, I know what's going on.  From what I can see, those are pixel layers.  Once a pixel layer crosses the boundary it is essentially divided into pieces on different ends of the canvas so when you transform it, you'll run into exactly what you're seeing.  The recommended workflow in this case is to convert those layers into smart objects so that they don't get broken up or end up with duplicate pieces.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately that is not what is causing the bug - the bug happens regardless of whether the layer is pixel or smart object. Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 3.27.04 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@abbsterrr  Make sure you convert it to a smart object when it is not crossing the document bounds or when Pattern Preview is disabled. If that layer was previously transformed, there may be pieces hanging outside the document bounds which is why you had to make a selection and jump it to a new layer.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this seems to help! I will share with the team and we will let you know if there are any hiccups! Thanks so much. We would also LOOOOOOVE to have a half drop option here - desperate for it actually!! Pls pass that on to your developers : ). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2023 Dec 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Ive now spent 2.5 hours talking to 2 different people about my pattern preview not working and neither of them can help. I dont have a problem with rotation, my issue is that in pattern preview the motifs get reflected fine but as soon as I go out of it the reflected parts disappear. I had an original fault come up that it only works with Open GL enabled document window, and tried to follow a fix I found online which involved adding something to the adobe file on PC. I no longer get the fault window but pattern preview is still doing same thing. Ive tried everything in this thread and no luck, this is a complete disaster for me - can you help @Chad Rolfs or @CoryShubert or @Pete.Green ?

Votes

Translate

Translate