• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Please revert the default Properties mode when layer is masked...

Engaged ,
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 2017.0.1: Can you please revert (or tell me a way I can manually revert) the default Properties back to Masks when working on a layer that is masked? Ugh. Normally I'd ask why but I'm not even going to anymore. Only asking if you'll fix it or tell me how I can fix it. Again, changing something that didn't need to be. With an ever-growing list, here's one more thing that will causes dozens upon dozens of extra clicks.

PS 2015:
Default for masks is...that's right, Masks! Good job, 2015!

PS 2017:
Default for masks is...no 2017, not Pixel Layer Properties. Go sit in the corner.

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
9 Comments
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2016 Dec 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I personally welcome more power in the properties panel...

What is the issue? (I do not have CC 2017 on this machine, but I expect that you can click on the layer mask icon in properties to get the ability to edit its mask, like you had to do on your first image.)

Also, if you click on the layer mask, you do get the layer mask, targeted.

In the previous versions, you'd get a similar situation as depicted in your second image if it was a smart object with a layer/vector mask.

What might make sense, would be to add the vector mask icon in the first row, and get one click targeting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll have to check on newer versions, but the old one on this machines keeps the targeting in both masks in the layer panel, once you click on their icons in properties. It might have been fixed since then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I click on the mask in the layers panel, it brings up the contextual Masks properties. How are you selecting your masks? I am noticing if I use the direct select tool to select the path, the Masks properties are not shown. Is this what you're doing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

uhhh, in your first image, it says the mask is not selected, which means that the default isn't what you think it is...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see why there is confusion. This is only about a Mask being active/selected and what the Properties panel shows. By default it show Pixel Layer, it should show Masks like it always has. Ignore Pixel and Vector thumbnails, that isn't an issue, they work as they always have.

So, let me see if I can clarify.

Nutshell version:
Active vector paths are not calling for the Properties panel to show Masks properties and obviously it should. An active vector path and an active path editing tool should not default to Pixel Layer in Properties panel.

Try this, see if your results are different.
  1. Create a Vector Mask and then look at the Properties panel. Is it showing Masks or Pixel Layer properties? A newly created Vector Mask means it's active and so Properties panel should reflect that, showing you your Masks options.

2. Select the Path or Direct Select tool and make sure nothing is active/selected. Now select the path by dragging over it to make it active. Properties panel will still show Pixel Layer, even though you have a Vector Path selected using a Vector editing tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Dec 23, 2016 Dec 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am noticing if I use the direct select tool to select the path, the Masks properties are not shown. Is this what you're doing?

Jeff,

Yes! Precisely! I completely missed this earlier in your post for some reason but you've nailed it. This is a new pesky behavior to 2017. Would you agree that direct selecting a path should pull up Masks instead of Pixel Layer like always before?

What's worse is that it will keep reverting to back Pixel Layer over and over again every time you edit any path. That's the entire purpose of the post, the Properties panel DEFAULT - it's Pixel Layer no matter if your working with a Mask or not.

Hope this is an oversight and not an intentional change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've opened a case for our engineers to investigate. I think this is a result of now showing pixel layer properties in the panel as the default state with selected layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jeff, that's good news.

I think this is a result of now showing pixel layer properties in the panel as the default state with selected layers.
Entirely the problem, no question. Very glad you understood exactly what I was getting at. Seems the screenshots only added confusion. But yeah, entirely the point - what the default is now. As I said in the original post:

PS 2015: Default for masks is...that's right, Masks! Good job, 2015!

PS 2017: Default for masks is...no 2017, not Pixel Layer Properties. Go sit in the corner.
Can I assume there's agreement this default behavior is incorrect and why you've opened a case?

Thanks again Jeff! It's awesome you guys still care when you can. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Apr 13, 2017 Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Status update on this since it wasn't addressed in this last update.

Votes

Translate

Translate