• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Problem changing canvas size inside the smart object ruins the smart object

Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep all my objects as a smart objects in PSD files, and when I need to change something, I go inside smart object and make changes. After latest update to 21.1.1 I noticed that if I go inside smart object, remove mask and "Revel All" to have original image without mask, it changes the size of canvas and smart object image becomes bigger in canvas size, after saving smart object in my original image brake the aspect ratio, looks like instead of changing canvas size of smart object it fit the new image inside same size. I hope I explained clearly.

I attach an image to show what I mean:

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

We are happy to announce the release of Photoshop 21.2.1 that should resolve this issue.

This update includes fixes to some of the top customer reported issues among other bug fixes. See Bug fixes and security updates

To update Photoshop to 21.2.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. 

More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
29 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Oleksandr,
Are you sure that you didn't somehow rotate your underlying object?  In your screenshot it looks like it's been slightly rotate and this caused some sort of distortion.  Do you have a sample file I could play with? 

Thanks,David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm. I've tried every variation i can think of and i'm not seeing this issue. Can you list all the steps you take in the creation of the smart object? 
In your images, it looks like one of the layers was rotated at some point...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post your PSD so we can try and troubleshoot it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2020 Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oleksandr, do you also have CC 2019 installed? could you ty to open the SO in that version to see if you experience the same issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,
Yes, the smart object is rotated slightly to make a person look straight, but anyway it should not make this smart object loose aspect ratio after updating canvas size. In CC2019 version everything works fine. I'll attach this image in the reply below
Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone, 

here I attach PSD so you could try to replicate my problem. Sorry, it's a bit weighty (130Mb)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cbtzuqkzy660d32/GPG_0002.psd?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have CC 2019 and no problem there, everything works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jefferey,
posted below
thank you 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I've posted PSD image below, you can try to "reveal all" opened smart object with disabled mask, to reveal whole image, and save it and at this point smart object on original image becomes distorted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I also tried with another image, where smart object is not rotated - in this case no problem. So looks like the problem is because the smart object is rotated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I can repro. Let me have the engineers take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are the steps to reproduce the problem:

1. Open a photo in Photoshop 21.2 on Windows. For example this one:

2. Convert the image background layer to a smart object

3. Resize the smart object proportionally. As an example, the document would now look like this:

4. Open the smart object for editing. Enlarge its canvas size on one axis (either width or height), then save. The contents of the smart object would look like this:

5. When returning to the parent document, notice that the image has been squashed, keeping the size of the previous smart object:

This did not happen in previous versions. I can confirm it did not happen in Photoshop 21.0.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop version 21.2. I have a layer with layer styles that I use within a template. This layer must remain the same aspect ratio to fit my purposes. The cameras we use to shoot are a different aspect ratio. My normal workflow is to open the template -> save as -> create new file -> select photo layer -> right click -> replace contents -> select desired photo -> right click -> edit contents -> crop/straighten photo to correct aspect ratio in newly opened tab in PS -> save -> close -> reposition now cropped photo in template to fit its space. 

Now when I perform this workflow, after closing the newly opened tab in PS, the photo retains the crop but is distorted to fit the original aspect ratio. If you rasterize the layer then change it to a smart object and then 'edit contents' the entire layer, including the layer styles are opened in a new tab for editing. It retains the crop and the aspect ratio but loses its layer styles. 

Also, my coworker is unable to open every PS document I create. They also have PS version 21.2 but when they attempt to open the document I created this morning, a pop up informs them that it is an invalid PS document. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I would like to add some observations: 
• The issue does not seem to affect Linked Smart Objects. 
• Under certain specific circumstances the distortion does not affect all instances of the Smart Object. (Layers converted to a Smart Object but never moved will maintain the correct appearance in the original session)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We experienced the same issue as Oleksandr and Andrei, so most of us went back to the previous version. Please fix this with the next version, as this version is simply not usable for most of our purposes. 
Thanks, Simone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC 21.2.0

I have a PSD whose size is 1920x1080px and inside it has a square smart object for example. When I edit this smart object and increase (or decrease) its size, as soon as I save and go back to the original PSD, this smart object is deformed (still with a square aspect).

I imagine it is a bug that appeared in this new version, because everything was perfect beforehand and I realized this problem after I did the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my has been moved, but not sollution yet hahahahaha

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this was mentioned but embedded smart objects are not scaling relative to the images within. If I enlarge or even simply enlarge canvas size within, the SO itself will scale itself down to retain it's previous dimension.

for example: if I have 1in polka dots with each dot as a SO and decided to enlarge the dot to 1.25in, the SO will reduce itself by 80% in order to stay at 1in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having the same issue at our company, which is causing a major slow down in productivity. Reverting to an older version fixes the issue, but I wanted to chime in here so this issue hopefully gets resolved in an upcoming update. We maintain a library of over a million images all created in the last 15+ years where this functionality worked in a reliable and sensible way, now in 20.2 that changed. We can work around it with actions, but this adds a series of steps to our workflow which in turn adds considerable time. Thank you in advanced to Adobe for addressing this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i've inquired about the bug status and will let you know if i hear anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are happy to announce the release of Photoshop 21.2.1 that should resolve this issue.

This update includes fixes to some of the top customer reported issues among other bug fixes. See Bug fixes and security updates

To update Photoshop to 21.2.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. 

More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

with PS 21.1.1, if you resize a psd image (image/image size/etc) for example 720x720 to 800x800, smart object layers will distort if the smart objects contain rectangular canvases. BIG PROBLEM!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

with PS 21.1.1, if you resize a psd image (image/image size/etc) for example 720x720 to 800x800, smart object layers will distort if the smart objects contain rectangular canvases. BIG PROBLEM! 

Votes

Translate

Translate