• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Save For Web - "A write permissions error has occurred" - on macOS (Dropbox issue)

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can not export any legacy formats.
I have enabled photoshop 2021 in the systems security permissions for full disk access and the same for files and folders and accessibility, after having read some of the previous advice on here for older versions of photoshop and OS, but to no avail. An error message appears every time I try to save for web legacy - It's an animated GIF I'm trying to export. An incredibly frustrating fault that needs to be addressed soon! 

{PS-75070}

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

New Here , Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

I've managed to fix this. Its a permissions issue with Dropbox itself and not Protoshop.

Here's the steps:

Disable Dropbox Backup temporally in settings.

Close Dropbox.

Find Dropbox in Applications, right click, go to Get Info.

Add Read/Write access to Administrators & Everyone. Save.

Open Dropbox.

Enable Backups again.

Open photoshop and hey presto Export for Web is working and Dropbox Backups are enabled. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

The answer from Henryh worked for me the first time, and again when I forgot and came back to this forum. 

Dropbox backups will not allow me to Save for Web from Photoshop sometimes. It works fine for days or weeks, then suddenly it won't.

(I'm on a 2015 iMac with Mojave os; you may not have this issue on a newer system.)

These are the instructions that I received from Dropbox live chat (with my notes in parens) and after I did these, I was able to Save for Web again.

• Open your Dropbox desktop app

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

I ran into this issue and found a solution using information from another forum. For me, it had something to do with Dropbox backups. I turned off the backup of my files that was going to Dropbox and re-tried exporting the photo in legacy format (save for web). This time instead of the error message I got a popup to allow permissions for it to write to the destination folder. I granted it permission and the export was successful. After the successful export I was able to re-enable Dropbox backup

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 123 Replies 123
123 Comments
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi try make the width and height lower than current and check...regards

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to save a jpg to HTML and I keep getting the error "Could not complete this operation. A write permissions error has occurred." I spent hourrrsssss with Adobe help and they cannot figure it out.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple & oranges.  You can't save JPG which is a binary file to HTML which is an Ascii hypertext markup file. 

For best results, use your graphics editor for images only. 

Use a code editor like Dreamweaver or VS Code to create HTML files.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
I've read through this whole thread applied all the comments and I still get the same error... Screenshot 2022-01-19 at 16.03.10.png

I have done the following:
1. Disconnected my Dropbox sync

2. Saved new working file to my desktop (with disconnected Dropbox)

3. Given Photoshop Full Disk Access

4. Restarted Photoshop

5. Retarted my computer

6. Updated my Photoshop
7. Choosing smaller size to export for web legacy

Nothing seems to work. I'm running on Big Sur. 

Please help!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have been trying toget around this for months. I hve cancelled my subscription only to be forced back to photoshop because of my job.....

None of the solutions fix the error for me. I dont have dropbox, I gave full permissions.... bla bla bla. Not need to write it all down becuse there are enough in here who have that got no response. so f-ing frustrating. I don't know what worht the cash grab subscription or the money lost in time fighting with this dinosaur of a product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer from Henryh worked for me the first time, and again when I forgot and came back to this forum. 

Dropbox backups will not allow me to Save for Web from Photoshop sometimes. It works fine for days or weeks, then suddenly it won't.

(I'm on a 2015 iMac with Mojave os; you may not have this issue on a newer system.)

These are the instructions that I received from Dropbox live chat (with my notes in parens) and after I did these, I was able to Save for Web again.

• Open your Dropbox desktop app preferences. (From the main mac menu bar under Dropbox icon)
  • Click the Backups tab. (Under your profile picture, preferences.)
  • Click Manage backup. (If you don't have this button visible, it will say "Setup" instead; this happens when you have stopped the backups.)
  • Uncheck the folders you’d like to stop backing up to Dropbox or uncheck Mac/PC to turn off backup for all folders at once.
  • Click Save.
  • Choose Keep content in folders on this PC/Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, has followed from a 2015 macbook pro to brand new 2021 pro M1. Comes and goes, nothing fixes it for good. Please fix this adobe! Having to preview in a browser and save then move to apropirate folder is killing my workflow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the same boat here, trying to export out an animated GIF through the "Save for Web (Legacy)' export and getting the dreaded "Could not complete this operation. A write permissions error has occurred." error. Currently running MacOS 12.3 without Dropbox installed. I also have Photoshop allowed for "Full Disk Access" in my Security & Privacy settings. Also, I have no issues saving out files from Ps through any other methods, including the new "Export As..." method. Any direction for a possible solution would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I am having a very problematic bug when I try to use the Save for web menu (I need it to export an animated GIF).

When I try to export I get the error message "write access was not granted".

Capture d’écran 2022-04-07 à 20.03.38.png

I am using PS version 23.2.2 on a Monterey 12.2.1 Mac.

To try to fix it, I granted PS full disk access :

Capture d’écran 2022-04-07 à 20.08.12.png

And I tried a reset of PS preferences.

I also tried allowing more RAM to PS and lowering the size of the image.

None of these fixes worked ans this bug is becoming a nightmare, please help!

btw, exporting for screens works just fine but I can't get an animated GIF that way.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using CC Photoshop v 23.3 on my Macbook Pro and for some reason, I've started getting this pop-up window when I try to export files for the web. I'm not sure why it's happening or how to resolve this issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In System Preferences, >Security & Privacy, >Full Disk Access, do you see Photoshop listed? If not, do add it and try again.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I had the same troubles. 

At the suggestion of ADOBE and other users, the suggestion was to shut off DROPBOX SYNC for my desktop and data (both of those get stored there). It worked. The trouble began when i needed to re-sync for my files to go back. I ended up with duplicate files, things not linking, etc. It was a drag until i located what was needed and re-structured my finder.

Working with my tech, we found a stellar workaround:

When exporting using WEB LEGACY, select Preview (this will open it up in your browser). From there, download it / save the file. File is full size render.

web legacy_01.pngweb legacy_02.pngweb legacy_03.pngweb legacy_04.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS WORKS!!!!! THANK YOU.  This has been a great workaround for me as the other suggestions in the thread didn't work. I had 10 animated gifs with strict file size requirements to output and Export for Web is the only way I could complete this action. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Denis5C6D, your solution worked for me! This Shift + Option + Command + W combination of keys brings you to the "Export As" window, where the export actually works the same or better as in Save for Web.

My thinking is that Adobe wants us to move from using Save for Web to Export As.

(so now I finally understand what the "(Legacy)" in "Save for Web (Legacy)" means...?!?!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 23, 2022 Jul 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. Actually, I was surprised to see that Photoshop didn't have full access already. Once I assigned full access to Photoshop then I was able to save for web again. I do hundreds of jpeg save for webs each week and this was crippling my work flow. Adobe, please don't mess with things that have worked for decades. I've been an Adobe customer for 30 years and it's getting to where I don't want to ever do upgrades because there is usually some big problem that affects my work performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is this still happening.

Full disk access to ps did not help, not saving to dropbox, stopping sync/backups, nothing helps. If the export as could export animated gifs we wouldnt need this legacy thing that no longer works. It's such a key feature - how am i supposed to make the gifs now.. It's been over a year. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've managed to fix this. Its a permissions issue with Dropbox itself and not Protoshop.

Here's the steps:

Disable Dropbox Backup temporally in settings.

Close Dropbox.

Find Dropbox in Applications, right click, go to Get Info.

Add Read/Write access to Administrators & Everyone. Save.

Open Dropbox.

Enable Backups again.

Open photoshop and hey presto Export for Web is working and Dropbox Backups are enabled. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@OKBoomer61 in this case, it is Apple that you need to "thank". They are the ones that mandated the change, in order to prevent malicious apps from interacting with your machine without your consent.

That said, I do not remember if Apple's own apps need to be added there, if it is the case, trusted Developers like Adobe should be grandfathered...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also unable to save for web/legacy and need to export an animated gif. As a temporary solution I exported to Render Video. I'm running an up-to-date version of PS on Ventura 13.4.1. Oh, and I do not have anything related to Dropbox on my system, so that it not the culprit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I am also unable to save for web/legacy... I'm running an up-to-date version of PS on Ventura 13.4.1"

@Phil24304175ro3v 

==========

Are you using an Apple Silicon chip computer?  Do you have Rosetta 2 to support legacy features and plugins?

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/apple-silicon-m1-chip.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2023 Jul 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am using the 16” MacBook Pro with M1. As far as I know, I do not use Rosetta 2. I did a search on my computer for Rosetta and did not find anything.

Thanks,
Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2023 Jul 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can download Rosetta from Apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 01, 2024 Feb 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OMG - Thank you soooo much!! 
I've tried everything mentioned previosly and nothing worked. At least now I can save the vi the browser animated gif.

Votes

Translate

Translate