• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Saving copy not saving over jpg file

LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

working on Catalina OS. saving file extension works now but does not save over jpg when saving it creates a copy which is annoying and time consuming to fix

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 834 Replies 834
834 Comments
Explorer ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 22.4.0 seems that it is finally fixed. But as new obstacle - now it is not enough to select Save As, but you must select another sub-option "Save As Copy" to save JPG or PNG. Oh, my God!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm. 22.4 fixes the issue on macOS 10.15.6

They've changed the nomenclature from "Save As..." to "Save a Copy..." (though the Shift+Command+S keyboard shortcut now maps to "Save a Copy...") where you can choose JPEG and PNG etc. (You can also choose Photoshop from the menu, so I don't fully understand why "Save As..." is necessary, but I'm sure it's there for a reason.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Save as" changes the name of the open document to whatever you saved it as. "Save a copy" should not.

But I don't understand your comment. First you say they changed "Save as" to "Save a copy," but then you say you don't understand why "Save as" is there. So... are they both there? And if so, what makes you say they changed the name?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give credit to Adobe for overly complicating a bug fix without really fixing it. Now we have a "Save as" that changes your currently open file. If you "save as"  layered PSD as a jpg, it will flatten the open file. Even if you go through the extra step of clicking on "save as a copy" within the "save as" dialog box, it automatically puts the dreaded and unwanted (for many of us) " copy" suffix on it. Workaround: click on the file you want to replace in the window and the name will change to the " copy"-less name you desire for a pure replacement. Click OK and ignore the expanded verbiage on the warning. 

I went the extra step to change the keyboard shortcut for "save as" to be "save a copy"

What would be awesome (like Adobe used to be) would be an option to save and replace a jpg in parallel every time you save an original layered PSD or TIFF, especially if it gives you an option to scale the jpg down as it does. This is the kind of thing Adobe used to add in the 90's, when it still seemed liked they cared. Surprise and delight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now it's "shock and awe..." at the ineptitude.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happens with PNGs as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clumsy AF workaround, but should at the very least help to avoid sending the wrong files out to vendors, print, etc.

Hopefully it's a temporary fix until they are able to re-implement the previous, more elegant solution. I'll take it in the meantime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh laws, mattrock1, you gave me such a belly laugh. Ain’t never gonna happen. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL. I feel the same. But I'm foolishly optimistic. #settingmyselfupfortheletdowns

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get you.

I’m seriously considering officially suggesting the ability to save parallel files. If my old Canon DSLR can save a RAW file and a JPEG the same time, so can Adobe. Well, a PSD or TIFF and a jpg… 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They have this functionality in Adobe Illustrator, so wouldn't be a stretch.

But then again, 2-years have passed and they had to implement a clumsy workaround to overwrite a file that doesn't have _copy in the name (which for whatever reason they don't have a problem overwriting. Le sigh... #voodoo)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm now on PS 22.4.1 and have been using the latest saving "feature" and it is comical because I would never use the default save as buttons because I always have to save out flattened Tiffs from a layered PSD.

Tiff options are not available on that initial Save As menu. You have to click on Save a Copy and I kind of found it funny because we waited so long for a fix and this is not slick in any way. lol This is clunky. What's happened here?

Will we ever get a regular Save As menu again? I want to save as a flattened Tiff, without the word "copy" added to any file name. I'm not replacing any file today, I'm creating a whole new flattened Tiff from a layered PSD, there should not be any "copy" at the end of the file name. Other days, yes, I could click on an existing file and replace, but can accidentally replace the wrong one. Just human error, which is why I understand there are glitches with the software, but I want to request that the Save As feature continues to be worked on.

Yes, we could just delete the "copy" text from the filename at the top space, but it should not be there in the first place. This is not how Save As used to behave, I think we all want this feature back to the way it was before. Save, Replace, the option to not add "copy" to the filename.

I'm curious how many users actually use filenames with the word "copy" at the end. I'm sure there's a few, but when I make copies, I add "b" or "02" at the end of the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PhotoShop is now officially garbageware

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator has been abandonware for a decade or more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is this even considered a fix?
Now this madness has spread to windows?
That was actually a dreaded alternative.
Affinity learning curve is looking less steep and better & better ALL THE TIME!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a disruptive fix! I think Adobe's developers wanna drive us fully insane! Seriously Adobe, how can you drop such a crappy solution! Looking for an alternative solution to Adobe which sucks more and more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADOBE! REVERT THE CODE NOW BACK TO THE PREVIOUS STATE! YOUR IRREGULAR BEHAVIOR IS DISRUPTIVE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DON'T MESS WITH ILLUSTRATOR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just noticed something, looks like there was a change on the forum here. There use to be flag on these posts when an issue was "IN PROGRESS" of "FIXED" that gave us some sign that Adobe was aware of an issue, and the status of that issue. I'm looking around on this page now as my concern was with this so called fix in 22.4.1 did Adobe consider this issue closed (which the consensus seems to be no, this still needs to be correct back the way it was pre-Catalina, in which case a NEW post would need to be started for Adobe to flag as "IN PROGRESS". 

For the life of me I'm not seeing those flags on any posts on the forum so I guess Adobe deleted that and now we are further in the dark than ever before. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*balage While I agree the "fix" really isn't, and is a very clumsy (and hopefully temporary) workaround (#lordhelpus) Adobe doesn't need to revert the application (code) to its previous state, you can very simply revert back to PS 22.3.1 (or earlier).

If this option isn't visible or apparent in your Creative Cloud app, in the toolbar open Preferences > Apps > Settings > Show Older Apps (toggle on) > Done

Now open All Apps > ... (ellipses to the right of the Open button) > Other Versions > Install (the version you want to revert back to)

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no excuses for Adobe in this match. They did a terribly wrong decision which affects the workflow of hundreds of thousands individuals all around the globe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADOBE! I work at a much bigger company than your company! And I will put all my efforts into this case and I will force you to REVERT THE CODE! YOU MUST OBEY!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wasn't an excuse, and I agreed with you. Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PFC Balage! You are having far too much fun with this topic. Get back to peeling those spuds!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

they (ADOBE) call it a feature. they blame apple. they blame you since your not updated. they say it only effects apple. they say its an issue. they say that they have a workaround and fixes with the latest update. they change saving all around and then say again its fixed and its apples issue. SO why is it that with all that Adobe Photoshop workaround feature new saving option DOES the word COPY need to be added to any file name if as you say it is not an issue and its fixed and its apples fault?????? 

Votes

Translate

Translate