• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Saving copy not saving over jpg file

LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

working on Catalina OS. saving file extension works now but does not save over jpg when saving it creates a copy which is annoying and time consuming to fix

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 834 Replies 834
834 Comments
Participant ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ....COPY.jpg situation makes it really tough to keep track of texture maps in Blender 3D, because as soon as the name changes, the link breaks. Side note, creating some package mocks for WalMart.com today for a client and almost sent the wrong file because I missed the word COPY.  It's getting kind of funny actually that this annoying file saving bug defines Photoshop for me now 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

35 MORE messages on this, STILL?

GIVE IT UP, people. Adobe software is ancient, creaky junk that they can barely keep running. They’re using their software-rental scam to wring as much money out of moribund products as they can on the way down.

If by tomorrow you haven’t started your transition to modern software that’s actually being maintained, you’re another day behind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So much for my weekend post of "lets just get all along" But, OH LOOK, its some hard data we have here. This weekend I said we had 181 subscribed members on this thread, why, all waiting for the day someone can say its been fixed and we will have the news. Thread lost 4 subscribers since then just like I said I have thought time and time again, this back and forth isn't useful here. At this rate, I'll unsubscribe I'm sure LONG before Adobe puts out the fix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

almost sent the wrong file because I missed the word COPY

And that is what makes defects like this a way bigger deal than some might think. It goes beyond an annoyance into professional embarrassment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Etsy shop fulfillment company sent out a wrong item because of
this yesterday.
Instead of printing the file that should have been overwritten, they printed
the file that needed changes.
Not only costing me, but making me look like an idiot to my customer.
Get Your $hit together Adobe!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Etsy shop fulfillment company sent out a wrong item because of
this yesterday.
Instead of printing the file that should have been overwritten,
they printed the file that should have had edits.

Not only costing me, but making me look like an idiot to my customer.
Get it together Adobe!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the best alternative? I’m ready to switch and need time to start teaching myself. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've using Affinity Photo, but just some days, not enough to have a global idea. I don't think it's better than photoshop but at least you can overwrite a jpg XD 

And the price is ridiculously less than PS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.justlearn.com/learn/Adobe-Photoshop I learned a lot from here you can also visit 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Photo is probably the best alternative right now. I wish they'd fix their attitude and fix some glaring holes and UI-design defects. But at least there's hope. Adobe is just wringing dues out of people and giving up, apparently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problems with Affinity Photo is, that when you need to edit your previous work, you can open Photoshop file format, but layers are not the same anymore. Compatibility is not 100% and although this is self-evident, it could bring annoying problems to your workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A new angle, that probably won't matter anyway... when Photoshop crashes for any reason, feel free to add a link to THIS thread in your explanation of "what happened"... it can't hurt... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha! I like this idea. Def going to be doing that moving forward. Hopefully we can make the wheel squeak loud enough!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@scott_cocking  Nice. I like to use the opportunity when they send out the Photoshop survey to remind them. 

Would you like this new feature? 

Sure, after you fix Save As.

What do you think about this that and the other?

Its okay, but I think you should fix Save As.

What could the new Sensei AI do to improve your workflow?

Can AI fix Save As??

Is there anything else you'd like to add to improve Photoshop?

Yeah, fix Save As.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can also confirm it is not fixed for non-Silicon, PS 22.3.0, and Big Sur.

lora_c, Maybe you are just lucky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do the same on every Adobe survey. 

"What would cause you to recommend Acrobat to other desktop publishers?"

"Fix the Photoshop Save As bug!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Johan_Elzenga

No, you don't understand the problem. When you export from a psd file as a jpeg and want to replace an old one that you've done (it even asks you if you want to replace it as it has the same name) it still creates a second file called 'copy' and doesn't replace the old file. It never used to do this and it's very irritating as you end up with duplicate files that you don't need or want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can this still be an issue. I've wasted months of my living life to work around my actions trying to have a "clean" jpg file. that is because we are professionals and we do have automated actions that interlink and we cannot have a "xxx Copy.jpg" in some instances and a "xxx.jpg" in other instances - it breaks all automation and creates unnecessarily long file names. These are months of my life I will never get back. Can I ask Photoshop to pay me interest? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@hila_schurr unfortunately the "Export As" workaround isn't one - because for some reason Photoshop decided you cannot use Export Us in Actions and Droplets and so on... Why you cannot use Export As for Actions is another one of these incomprehensible issues that should just be fixed.

But I guess Adobos is too busy creating "sky replacement" tools no one needs. At least no one who has a brain and knows how to create a mask. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are paying for SnapchatShop!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DGrainger Adobe is working on this for years then... Big deal... just allow people to choose whether the tick box is ticked or not. Some Engineers if that's not something they can change within a day or two. How can this be so complicated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe this has FINALLY been fixed. 

I've been testing SAVE as for numerous files in JPG and other formats and the files actually REPLACE the original files w/o creating a copy.jpg version. 

Can it really be?!?!?!

Sorry, I am WRONG. 

App still saves as copy.jpg if images haven't been flattened. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please post what operating system, version and version of PhotoShop you are using?

I am using the latest Big Sur [kludge of an OS, lots of bugs] with the latest PhotoShop, on a Mac.

What I do not understand is they update PhotoShop - and most other Adobe CS apps - every other week it seems.

This has gone on far too long - but nobody at Adobe gives a flying rat's ass.

I told them to call me and I would walk them through a lot of bugs I was encountering. I got 2 or 3 confirmation emails stating when they would call. They did not.

I told them I would only do so if I was reimbursed for my time - being a consultant, trainer, and actual user of Adobe products. I helped with one Illustrator issue and they credited me 3 months. Well, said they would, have yet to check my credit card statement.

Adobe doesn't read these forums - at least that's what others have posted.

They, like a lot of other app developers, have created "Community Forums" for us to figure their crap out for them.

Unacceptable. Especially given the subscription model. Fine if you just bought them and weren't lining their coffers each month.

Pathetic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on PS 22.3.1 release. MacOS BigSur 11.2.3

I'm now allowed to check and UNCHECK the SAVE A COPY box when performing a SAVE AS.

Finally!

Every time I got a communique from Adobe or a survey or had a program crash and a report generated, I responded be asking for this crap issue to be fixed. Been doing it for years.

Votes

Translate

Translate