• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Saving copy not saving over jpg file

LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

working on Catalina OS. saving file extension works now but does not save over jpg when saving it creates a copy which is annoying and time consuming to fix

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 834 Replies 834
834 Comments
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to macOS Catalina 10.15.03, and the bug in Adobe Photoshop 2020 still occurs, when you want to overwrite files while saving. My Photoshop version is 21.0.3. I've created a short video, which demonstrates the bug. This bug causes a lot more working time on routine tasks. Adobe, please fix this as soon as possible. 

I am looking for alternative software solutions now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, 21.1 is out and it's still not fixed! WTF!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted weeks ago also and still the same issue... do they plan to ever fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. This needs to be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah this is crazy. Please fix Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

they dont care about us... just for the money....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to get to the bottom of this immediately through the PhotoShop online chat. They are closed. 1:25pm EST on a Wednesday afternoon.

I actually think they all ran away to hide because this is infuriating to ALL ADOBE USERS across their ENTIRE SUBSCRIPTION BASE.

This has to be the most pathetic excuse for custom service in the history of EVER.

Everyone - get on the chat this afternoon and voice your disgust at Adobe. Flood their Facebook pages with messages showing your irritation and maybe, just maybe, we'll get a lot of Adobe managers fired and replaced with ... well... not likely to be replaced with anything usable unfortunately.

When I started using Adobe products, the help lines were manned/womanned by people who actually used the apps and knew what they were doing - maybe didn't have the answer immediately - but walked through it. Now, it is just a call centre agent reading a manual ike a Microsoft Office.

Pathetic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this happening across all macs?

I'm on a macbook pro late 2013 and am having other issues than this with Catalina in general, so I was wondering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Melissa all mac running Catalina. It doesn't happen if you run Mojave. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated to 21.1.1 today, still experiencing the same issue. Frustrating my workflow. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to Photoshop 21.1 and it has not fixed this problem but it has now introduced a new one. When I go to crop an image imported from Lightroom it greys out the lower part so it’s not possible to see the whole of the image that is being cropped. Come on Adobe, it’s about time you got your act together!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got a response from Adobe after I posted the jpg saving issue on their forum:

“hi,

This works just fine for me. If I open up a JPEG and then write on it and press Command + S to Save, it saves over my JPEG.

However, if you ADD A NEW LAYER, then it will try to save it as a New Photoshop file because JPEGs dont have layers.

If you do add layers, and you want to save over it, you can flatten the image first by going to Layer> Flatten Image and then press save and it will save over the JPEG.

Hope that helps!

cheers!
mark”

Really helpful. I did respond and not so nicely. Like as IF I wasn't aware of that option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy folks!

I believe I have - THE ANSWER!

Well, I truly hope I have THE ANSWER!

Appears that with Catalina came a new Permissions Control that is accessible via the System Preferences - this is all on Apple's side.

I went into a chat with an Adobe tech - and they wanted to share my screen. I wasn't interested in doing is that way - I stated I wanted directions on how to do this. Oddly enough, they complied. I wanted the directions because I wanted to share this with as many people as possible. All of you who flood my inbox with these messages! 😉

Here is what I suggest:

- shut down all Adobe apps, in fact, a complete shut down of all apps wouldn't hurt, so close off everything and restart

- System Preferences - Security and Privacy - scroll down on left column to "Full Disk Access"

- Scroll down on right side to all Adobe apps listed, and check them ON

- if ANY other app is having the same issue, like greyed out folders [a related problem] - simply check them ON or click the "+" sign if they are not listed

- also suggest a restart at this stage - I noticed when testing PhotoShop to access folders they first show as grey then switch to solid, so a restart may clear this completely

Now, I also tested with the PhotoShop saving over JPGs... I believe this issue ONLY exists for folders created since a Catalina install... which is why it isn't always system-wide - it may not occur within folders created prior to Catalina. I am not encountering this issue now, but cannot be entirely sure the folders I tested were ever issues previously - do not recall the projects where this was an issue, so many new projects on the go.

I really hope this is the answer to all of our ailments... annoying beyond belief, but appears we can be just as angry at Apple for throwing this on our plates, as we can be with Adobe for NOT ANSWERING in this forum, and many other forums. Why the heck bother hosting these forums then?

So, Adobe still has a lot of work to do in servicing subscription-based clients and keeping us happy.

Have a great day!

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an Adobe Photoshop for Mac issue but definitely not a Mac issue as they would like you to believe. I don't have this issue with any other program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I've followed all of your steps and this does not work for me. Still getting the ridiculous dialogue and then it goes on to ask me if I want to replace the file yet it still makes a copy of the file. Funny thing is it's more than willing to overwrite the copy of the file it previously made but not the original PNG I want to overwrite. Same behavior with JPG. So stupid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My adobe apps already had checkmarks in the Full Disk Access section when I went to try your suggestion, so this is not an answer either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Le sigh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This didn't work for me either. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sent them a link to this forum on Twitter and received this response. Fingers crossed...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not how previous versions of Photoshop behaved and their suggestion is nothing more than an inefficient "solution". In previous versions if you're working on a layered PSD file and you want to save it out as a JPG it assumes you know your not saving layers and would simply save a flattened JPG; same as any other format that doesn't support layers. Furthermore, it never forced you to save a copy because, duh, you're saving it as a different file format. This is the way it should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wrote below script as a temporary solution while waiting for the fix. I use Sony camera, therefore the photo file name is always begin with DSC. I run the script as and when I need to clean up the mess.  

#!/bin/sh
if [ ! -d junk ]; then
    mkdir junk
fi

for copyjpg in $(ls -1 DSC*copy.JPG); do
    if [[ $copyjpg == "DSC"* ]]; then
        echo "$copyjpg"
        copyjpg=`echo $copyjpg | awk '{print $1}'`
        jpg=`echo $copyjpg | awk '{printf("%s.JPG",$1)}'`
        if [ -f $jpg ]; then
            echo "$jpg exist!"
            mv $jpg junk
        fi
        copyjpg=`echo $copyjpg | awk '{printf("%s\ copy.JPG",$1)}'`
        echo "$copyjpg"
        mv "$copyjpg" $jpg
    fi
done  

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated to v21.1.0 which just released and THIS IS NOT FIXED
Photoshop 2020 is currently making me lose the will to live.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 01, 2020 Mar 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, just updated to v21.1.0 and tried to save an updated version of a JPG image. When Photoshop asked if I wanted to replace the existing version of that image, I said that I did -- then Photoshop went ahead and made a copy anyway.  I am losing way too much time dealing with this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there still no fix for this issue? This must be affecting millions of users? I am beginning to question if Adobe are actually looking into the issue.

I'm a full time designer who works a lot on magazines, when developing layouts and spreads in InDesign I often use 'Edit in Photoshop' function to adjust images. Having to then go through each image and re-link to the new copy afterwards is genuinely wasting so much time, not to mention extremely frustrating given that it used to work correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate