• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Saving copy not saving over jpg file

LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

working on Catalina OS. saving file extension works now but does not save over jpg when saving it creates a copy which is annoying and time consuming to fix

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 834 Replies 834
834 Comments
Participant ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@james_gray_6321432 Saving over a previously saved file is possible with almost every single piece of software (including every other program in Adobe CC), copy and pasting, saving from the web, transferring from one directory, flash and network drives, icloud, etc etc etc. Photoshop isn't succeeding in being a hero here. It's a flaw (and a very clumsy "fix"). Nothing less.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I said that jokingly. Geez. So Legacy is not for you.

But if we're going to talk about the number of times I've accidentally overwrote a file in the past 25 years of full time retouching? Maybe less than 5. I can't even remember when, probably over 15 years ago. Not too memorable or dramatic and I have automatic backups so not much of a problem.

The number of times I intentionally overwrote a file that I should not have? More. Under the direction of a client that says you can just replace it or delete the file. And, I followed that direction earlier in my career but quickly learned to version save all files on my external hd and then delete them a while after the project is live.

Save and replace is not something done on a whim, it is intentionally seeking out a file name and replacing it. The program asks you if you want to replace the files before it does it. Like every other software I use. One should slow down before clicking yes. And after many years, it is a habit of mine to look at the file name.

Anyway, it makes no difference whether the filename says "copy" because if I were to willingly replace a file, I would remove "copy" and make the same error of replacing the file, hypothetically speaking. It would just take a few seconds longer. Why go and add "copy" to every file to save one in a few years?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it very difficult to tell if people might be joking on this forum.  Some of the annoyance comes out as sarcasm.  I do find some of the behavior of PS with this "copy" business to be really goofy.  That said, I am an old man with a handicap that causes me to make typos and hit the wrong key far more often than I did 5 years ago.  I use PS a lot, but I am retired and not in a hurry anymore.  I also worked as a software engineer (software totally unrelated to PS).  Most users do know the difference between a 5-minute fix and a five-programmer year fix.  Dealing with the vagaries of an operating system can drive you nuts as a programmer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Speaking of typos.  Above I wrote "Most users do know".  I meant to write "Most users do not know...."

Sorry.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing is that "Save a Copy" already existed as a separate option in the "Save As" window. So we have had that option if one were concerned about the accidental overwrite problem, it is just that they glitched regular "Save As" and the universe almost imploded. (hyperbole)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@james_gray_6321432 "Most users do not know the difference between a 5-minute fix and a five-programmer year fix.  Dealing with the vagaries of an operating system can drive you nuts as a programmer."

This is all definitely true.

I'm no pro-programmer, but I have been coding for over 25 years to one degree or another.  But honestly, I think in this case Adobe has chosen this to be of very low, minimal-effort, priority.  Or a simple small nuisance to users.   In my case it's not.  I save my files (png, jpg) into Unity 3D, which then picks up the file changes and implements those changes within the gaming engine.  That doesn't work if the filename changes and "Copy" is added.  It would save (with "Copy") in Photoshop, then I had to go into Unity, wait for the new file import, apply the image settings manually (Unity bakes an image copy, with metadata connecting them, in a different format), and remap any/all materials using that image to point to the new file.  A 2-10+minute process.  It was literally costing me an hour a day, sometimes more.  So I switched to Windows.  No problem there.  It's not a feature everyone, it's a bug 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Speaking of accidentally overwriting files in Photoshop. I notice that the Legacy Save As option does not have a fail-safe to stop you from overwriting a file that is open.

The way Save As used to work was that if you have a file open, you could not overwrite it if it was open. And you would get a pop up saying "I cannot do that, Dave". (movie ref) Well, now you can overwrite an open file as it is still open.

This can be a problem for those of us used to working with the old Save As function, because if you are working on a layered TIFF file and you are told to save as a flattened Tiff with the same name, while keeping a layered PSD, well THAT accident can happen because you can think, oh I'm working on a layered PSD already, and then close. And then you're left with a flattened TIFF and no layered file. More human error on my part, but it was the way Save As worked and I'm used to it, go figure.

Can we have that fail-safe back? Or option to toggle that on or not? (in case there are others who don't care for it) For sure, this will be a problem down the line with all the layered TIFF files I receive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't recall this ever being an issue for me in previous Photoshop versions, or a fail-safe required for this, but what you are trying to do is exactly what "Save a Copy" is for. This is the same functionality found in Illustrator, etc. I think the bases are covered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was never a way to replace the file that I was currently working on, and open. It is the way it was. I'm not talking about saving a copy.

I noticed cause I just replace it now and I have never been able to do so. In the thousands of images that I've retouched.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes you can save over an open file. just tried it but you do get this message 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems "Save as a Copy" should solve your concern if it doesn't require any additional steps. IMO, "Save As" now works how it should (prior to the bug). Perhaps just a matter of a tiny learning curve to break the old habit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it was just an old habit. And it's been so long I could have already forgotten what it was unless I bust out the old dusty laptop. It's not that big a deal to do that. heh

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem as everyone else and it's really messing up my organization as I like to save any edits over an existing file with the same name. Now I have to look for copy along with the original file name. What is going on? I finally decided to look this up because I knew this wasn't right. https://kirkscustomcabinetsinpomona.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*KenelmHeath857 the latest release, 22.4.2, has an option in preferences under 'File Handling' to check 'Enable legacy "Save As"' and fixes this oh so annoying 'feature'. The only issue now is 22.4.2 is so buggy for me, I'm actually considering rolling back to the previous version. Not just me with issues, my colleague has the same bugs and has already rolled back. And so, on it goes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new Photoshop update fixed this issue finally. Go to:

Preferences > File Handling > Enable legacy "Save As"

Done. Thanks for listening Photoshop, you didn't loose this designer but you came close.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mattrock1 It wasn’t a bug. Just a bad decision on Adobe’s part to change something that wasn’t broken or needed “improvement”.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

leslie, whatever you're talking about is completely irrelevant to the issue here. There's no problem with permissions to write to the directory or the file. It DOES, in fact, do this just fine if you open a photoshop, add a layer with something on it (text, for instance), flatten layers and just "save" instead of "save as".

The BUG, and it is a BUG, not a "user doesn't understand" is that when you Save As to a JPEG from an open document that has layers, other channels, whatever that JPEG doesn't support so that you have to save it AS A COPY, you are given the option of naming it the same thing but it then proceeds not to.

Say for instance you have a file called "stuff.jpg"

You open it in Photoshop

You add a text layer that says "stuff is dumb".

You goto "save" OR "save as" -- they do the same thing because you have layers and your filename says "jpg".

You click "as a copy"  on the checkbox and uncheck "use layers". You select JPEG from the drop down. You click on the original filename, "stuff.jpg", so it's DEFINITELY what you're telling Photoshop to name the file as. "stuff.jpg".

Photoshop then proceeds to tell you you have to use layers, which you already knew. You say "ok" to that.

Photoshop then asks you if you want to overwrite "stuff.jpg". You click "yes" or "OK" or whatever.

It then proceeds to write a file called "stuff (copy).jpg" and COMPLETELY IGNORES the fact that you really really specifically told it not to and verified that when it asked.

That has absolutely ZERO to do with file permissions.

*sigh* between people who can't clearly describe the issue and other people who think they're helping with some random unrelated nonsense, it feels like I'm watching Dunning-Kruger Furbies talk to one another in here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you are trying to say — the issue is that Photoshop adds the word " copy" when I try to save a layered file to a JPG. Regardless if I saved it as a psd before hand. 

It doesn't matter whether I can change the name because it doesn't help with ACTIONS AND WORKFLOWS. If you change the name in an action then all future files are named the same. The point is, you want to retain the regional name and NOT have the word " copy" attached to it!

However, now that Adobe decides to add " copy" you cannot save over files, which may be the point of an action and you end up with EVERY file having the word copy attached to it regardless on whether or not it actually is a copy. 

SURE - you can change it manually. Good luck doing that with 37 files getting create with every file that is finalised and running through hundreds of files. Of course I CAN use Apple Automator and I am doing it but it breaks workflows up. I have to go out of Photoshop and run an automator function then go back into Photoshop and so on. 

It means that all your workflow is now f'd - excuse my French - and the automation is a headache because a lot of different actions are interrelated. If you don't have this issue, then you don't have to comment. 

I see no advantage of adding a " copy" behind every file you save. Beyond making files longer and harder to read and not connecting to naming systems. The word "copy" has a completely different meaning to what it does ... 

YES SOME OF US LIKE TO BE ORGANISED. SOME OF US RELY ON BEING ORGANISED TO BE EFFICIENT. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe just made it worse. In order to save a JPG you now have to specifically hit a button that says "save as a copy". THAT IS NOT THE PURPOSE OF A JPG. 

IT BREAKS ALL ACTIONS AND MY COMPLETE WORKFLOW. Now I have to use Apple Automator to change file names and it interrupts everything I'm doing and no matter how much I try to integrate Appel Automator with Photoshop actions something always breaks somewhere. 

Thank you Adobe for converting Photoshop into a tool for Amateurs who apparently need to save a JPG as a copy for whatever reason! No one can actually explain WHY this is necessary. It's probably some sort of additional security not to save over a JPG but that's not how EVERYONE WORKS! Give us the choice!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2021 Jul 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*lessucettes Perhaps you might re-read what you have written and think about it. I am puzzled first of all by the all caps statement "THAT IS NOT THE PURPOSE OF A JPG. "  My question for you is What do you mean by "Purpose of a JPG?" Most people are grateful to have the option to have the choice to reverse an inadvertent over-write, but PURPOSE does not make any sense in that sentence. Also, I am puzzled by your apparent blaming of Adobe when you use another company's product. Not sure just who might be termed "amateur" here, simply a need for more education about the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 31, 2021 Jul 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DGrainger When you tell Photoshop to overwrite "stuff.jpg" and it prompts you asking "Are you sure you want to overwrite 'stuff.jpg'?" and you click "Yes" and it then creates a file named "stuff copy.jpg" and does not overwrite the file -- and yes, this is exactly what happens in this case -- then "amateur" refers to the programmers and QA people in San Jose that are writing this garbage.

While the above guy's "THAT IS NOT THE PURPOSE..." statement is sort of random, he's clearly just upset at the fact that he can't do what he wants and I do not blame him. One becomes less than eloquent when apoplectic. People who judge other people for not having their thoughts in perfect order when they're justifiably pissed off are not good people, so don't be that guy.

After all, it's not like your sentence, "I am puzzled by your apparent blaming of Adobe when you use another company's product", makes any sense either. The only other "company" the guy has mentioned is Apple, for which he said he now has to use a part of his operating system to fix the issue.

I, too, use a Mac, and I, too, blame Adobe, because the fault lies with them.

When you open a JPEG, add a layer, and go to save or save as, you do not, as you say, have "the option to have the choice" to save the file with the name "copy" appended. You get prompts, but the "copy" is added anyway. You have NO choice. It does it anyway even though you told it to overwrite the file. That's what this bug report is about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*thedodger Just for a point of clarification,  this is Not classified as a Bug Report, just a kvetch session, albeit not without some merit, when you say "That's what this bug report is about."  

I

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Frank Coppola  In case you haven't notice: this is about JPG. It automatically adds the word "copy" at the end. If you are working with actions IT THEREFORE CAN'T OVERWRITE A JPG automatically because you cannot use the "original filename" ... in other words my original file 123.psd cannot automatically save as 123.jpg... the suggested filename is ALWYAS "123 copy.jpg". So if you are creating an action script that creates a bunch of jpgs in different folders you end up with them called "123 copy". 

If you then decide to change that in the action recording and remove the word "copy" what it does is that in future every file will be called 123.jpg ... regardless if the original file was abc.psd or CDE.jpg or Adobeisst*pid.psd.

ScreenShot20210802at10.08.06-0e66aa4c-a34e-4823-9eff-51f95a0bd007-1891426056.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mattrock1 NOOOOOOOOOOO! It makes it worse. The file XYZ.psd should just save as a xyz.JPG not as a "xyz copy.jpg"

Why is this so hard to understand. That was the default for good reasons for 20 years!

If you write a Action script which is what pro users do all the time you need to be able to save a file in different ratios and sizes into different folders with the original filename without the word "copy" in it. If you try to change that in the action script and remove the word copy the action recording understands it as wanting to use that exact name. So in the above example you end-up with all files called XYZ indefinitely regardless if the original filename was abc.psd adobeisd*mb.psd. Everything is now called xyz.jpg. 

So either everything now has the word copy or everything is now called XYZ. this has to change. 

You need to be able to export just the filename without any additional word attached to it. Is that really that hard to understand????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This entire site is an insult to Adobe customers. Adobe staff doesn't look at this site unless they run out of cat videos to watch; then they log in to laugh at anyone who thinks Adobe cares.

Votes

Translate

Translate