• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Saving copy not saving over jpg file

LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

working on Catalina OS. saving file extension works now but does not save over jpg when saving it creates a copy which is annoying and time consuming to fix

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 834 Replies 834
834 Comments
LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*kleer_keret_tali It isn't working for me. 22.3.1 on Catalina. Not sure if the Operating System has anything to do with it but 22.3.1 didn't change a thing for me.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot be sure, but I think the OS has everything to do with the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an update and confirmation from Adobe that Adobe Photoshop needs the file to be flattened and in 8bit before it can save the file as abc.jpg rather than abc copy.jpg

I mentioned to the support staff that this is a major flaw and very risky because what Adobe is requesting me to do is actually run the risk of loosing data by destroying / flattening all layers before I can save a file without the word copy. I explained that PSD files are often working files and should only be flattened once the final file was delivered to the client. I also mentioned that this is a fundamental issue and should be treated with great priority. Saving files and how Photoshop behaves when doing so isn't about a 'feature' but about professional needs. I also mentioned that actions do not accept "Export as" as an alternative making the automation process petty clumsy. 

He said that he will raise this with engineering and gave me a ticket number. I will keep the community updated.

In the meantime I have a workaround which could be beneficial for Mac users. I export my JPG's / PNG files into a working folder which Apple Automator automatically renames and then moves to a final folder. Attached is the workflow for anyone who is interested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@james_gray_6321432 I just talked to Adobe support and it appears that Adobe needs the file to be in 8bit and flattened  in order to save without copy. I explained this isn't a workable solution because photoshop is actually requesting me to run the risk to loose all data in a working file. He will raise this with engineering and gave me a ticket number. 

In the meantime I am using Apple Automator to rename the files by finding " copy" in the filenames and replacing it with "" and then moving it to a different export folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - I'm going to go out on a limb here - as many other have done so in the past...

This has NOTHING to do with a layered file. Nothing at all. I can change ANY file, layers or no layers and "Save As" and it will create a copy.

This likely has to do with Apple's new "Disk Access" permissions, introduced with Catatlina, I believe, do not recall if earlier because I think I avoided a few OSes because they were crap. Only to land on Catalina, which was even crappier, then to jump to Big Sur which is pure hell.

We strive to stay current. I am old enough to remember the horrible death of type houses, because I went into a lot of production houses and trained their staff on this new thing - DTP - starting in 1988. But with us striving to remain current - current OS - always having the latest Adobe Creative Suite - we are also living on the bleeding edge of technology.

I do not intend to die out quietly like an old typesetter. I am going kicking and screaming because both Apple and Adobe are just not getting it right now.

Anyone care to start a thread on type management - or the complete non-existence of - in Big Sur? 28GB of craptastic junk foreign fonts and absolutely no way to remove them.

Even an Apple support person told me bold-faced - just disable them with FontBook. I waited on the phone while they coughed and sputtered through the rest of their futile explanation - hitting a brick wall as they tried.

I need a hug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @andrew_croft ... I understand that Apple may have created difficulties for Adobe - but in all honesty there's no excuse. Adobe has a subscription based business model now. Most of that money goes towards 3D software and the core community, graphics and photographers, are left hanging on basic issues. This is a seperate issue but we are asked to pay the same amount as the areas where most of the development is going. the least we can ask Adobe to do is to allow us to save a file without " copy".

I don't really care if I'm on MacSur or Catalina or Snow Leopard. Saving is pretty basic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 17, 2021 Apr 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's take a breath here and reflect on the fact that Adobe, which is making millions with its software-rental rip-off, can't figure out how to save a file.

And a lot of you are still paying them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I experience another bug - drawing path is no more working after you drowe your first path. Every next path creates only dots, not connected by lines. Adobe is such crap company! Why they release new versions each month (and even more often), when these are filled with new and new bugs!!! I don't want to update my software so often, rather they should do one a year, properly beta tested. They are using their paying customers as beta testers! Shame on Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I submitted this bug to Adobe and "Adobe is aware of this problem and are working to fix it" 

That hasn't happened yet.

The work around: don't save the path layer and work only on the work layer.

So, yay?
I still have to add "copy" to my file names so the links don't break.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I am WRONG. 

App still saves as copy.jpg if images haven't been flattened. 

Sorry to get any hopes up that these ass hats at Adobe have done a minute's work on this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes ... that's only because Affinity doesn't do Actions and Droplets. And because their Channels don't work the way I need them to work. But once they do have those "features" the distance for switching will be about 2mm thick, if for no other reason than possibly needing Adobe for other reasons... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Not the same" how? Why keep working in Photoshop format?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are "actions" and "droplets?" You mean macros?

And what's the issue with channels?

Affinity has plenty of issues, so don't think I'm an apologist for their defects. I'm curious as to the specifics. And I hope you've raised your issues with them. They, like Adobe, can have a snotty attitude toward those who criticize their occasionally-brain-dead UI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@andrew_croft Font Book is defective POS, for sure. And yes, the truckloads of asinine foreign fonts is ridiculous. As usual, Apple makes you opt OUT of a bunch of crap and work hard to clean up your own computer.

But if this has anything to do with permissions, the Adobe apps should be prompting for them. Failing that, they should be raising dialogs to instruct users on how to set them.

There's no excuse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've read Adobe pinning the issue on MacOS, though if this were the case, why can Photoshop overwrite the _copy file? This shouldn't be possible if indeed a permissions issue? Doesn't add up. I believe they are passing the buck. (mine, unfortunately)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where did you read that? Would like to hear their excuse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started using this version of Photoshop with Catalina and have the same issue = extremely annoying. The only thing saving my sanity is that I have a keyboard shortcut  which runs a script to save my tifs (while in my PSD file) in a parent folder where I want them. When I use the script there is not "copy" added, and it overwrites any existing tif with the same name.  

Is this also happening with the next OS Big Sur ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a script that intercepts any attempt to use an Adobe product and launches a competent one instead.

Then it generates and posts a follow-up to this thread using a stone-simple algorithm to berate Adobe in a manner that's not only believable, but factual as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As much as I hate to contribute to ANY sort of "Workarounds"...
I just happened upon a happy accident to avoid the "Copy" tag.

While in the "Save As" window, right click the file you WANT to replace,
"Move To Trash".

Uh hello Adobe programmers... How about writing THAT into the code???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the first quick work around I tried and it worked...!! Thanks for this help. It will change my work flow in a positive way.
If Adobe is not gonna help us than this is the way....!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beware that there is a defect in Apple's Save File dialog; I don't know if it'll affect this workaround.

If you click on a file in a subdirectory to overwrite it, Apple will instead write to the root of the volume you're looking at. I imagine this will still happen if you move the file to the trash. The situation is still better than not moving the old file to the trash, because you won't be able to confuse the two files; your new one simply won't be there when you look for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May 2021, Photoshop 22.3.1 and still no fix...

Adobe help told me they're aware of the bug and that the engineering team is working on it... since 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is a very annoying problem, and worse than that, it disturbs productivity a lot. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like Adobe is not reading these comments

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,