• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Shortcuts using Alt key aren't working correctly (e.g. Alt-Backspace)

Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to press Alt-Backspace two times in a row to get it to fill foreground color after updating to CC 2018 this morning. Is there a setting change I need to make or is this a bug? Thanks for a quick reply. This is a big part of my job as a comic book colorist and driving me nuts today.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017
This should be resolved in the 19.0.1 update released last night. Please update Photoshop using the Creative Cloud desktop app, and let us know if it's fixed for you!

Regards
Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 116 Replies 116
116 Comments
LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also works partially for me. As Sergey  changing blending modes still don't . Anyway, thanks a lot !

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, Win10. But it works every time if I press keys slightly delayed, one after another. Hitting Shift+Ctrl+Alt+S the same time does nothing, whereas Shift>Ctrl>Alt>S works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another CC release, another game of "What did Adobe break this time?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe we're still waiting on a fix for this.  It's been over a week.  There should have been a fix within 24 hours.  For that matter, it should have never happened in the first place.   This is highlighting an abysmal level of internal quality control and testing.  It's an embarrassment and a massive stain upon Adobe's already dubious reputation. 

Photoshop CC 2018 is an Edsel in my eyes, or an Assassin's Creed Unity, to use a more modern comparison.  Adobe has become as bad as the AAA game studios who prioritize microtransactions (Adobe Stock, CC subscription) over bugfixes and care more about keeping that user revenue stream flowing than providing an actual functional and performing product.

With all the competition bought out or eliminated, Adobe has become smug and arrogant and thinks it's too big to fail.  But conditions are ripe for someone to topple the pedestal, and I won't be sad when it finally happens.  As someone who's used Photoshop since version 5.0 in 1998, I used to sing Adobe's praises, but the direction it has gone since about 2013 has really soured me on the company.

One thing is for sure, I'm glad I bought a permanent license of CS5 when I did.  My employer is footing the bill for CC and I don't use it at home.  I would never pay a monthly fee for this kind of broken, untested, bug-filled, cash-grabbing rubbish.  About the only useful thing added since CS5 was perspective warp, and I can definitely get by without it.  It's all pointless, unnecessary bells and whistles: artboards, ridiculous embellishments to the interface, 20 instances of CEPHtmlEngine running in the background, Rich Tooltips, bloat upon bloat, and spam pop-ups for Adobe Stock - no, thank you! 

I certainly have some strong opinions about the direction Adobe has taken since going subscription-only, but for the sake of my job, and all the other users who have no choice but to use this broken debacle of a release, I sincerely hope you'll release a patch ASAP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically all shortcut combination using the "Alt" modifier key is broken. I can't use Photoshop anymore for illustration work, except it takes 5 times longer to finish as I need to browse to menus to find certain tasks where they  usually can be done fast with shortcut.  Is there any fix for this yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The alt key has had it is behavior changed in CC2018 and this is disrupting a lot of people's workflow. I doubt this change was intentional.

Now if you hold the alt key, it focus on the application menus (File, edit, ...) instead of listening for the rest of the shortcut. So if you want to use any alt related shortcuts, you need to hit the rest of the keys twice without letting go of alt - once to clear the focus on the menus, the second one for the shortcut to actually work.

Related and very popular shorts disrupted by this change are ctrl+alt+Z, or alt+backspace (and alt+shift+Backspace).
If you start the shortcut with ctrl, alt behaves properly; It you start the shortcut with alt, the problem occurs. Setting commands to wacom tablet's shortcut keys also seems to be triggering the bad key behaviour and breaking a lot of setups out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2018 cc Ctrl Alt W works on occasion, I have to go to file Close All, when I do that with 48 or 50 pics, it increases my time substantially. Is there a fix ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have a solution. ALT key pressed after pressing and BACKSPACE key pressed 2x

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not a solution, that's a workaround for a broken key behavior.   A solution would be a patch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like the update to Photoshop CC 2018 has caused a few problems. Aside from the annoying ones (those tooltip help videos are killing me), it seems like modifier keys (shift, alt) aren't working right for me anymore.

In 2017, I used to be able to hold alt and press the arrows to make a copy of the layer. That no longer works for some reason. I can hold alt and drag the mouse, but that doesn't help me at all. I'm working on a grid, and everything needs to line up, so I use pixel counts to do so (in order to properly size mockups for our developers). Now I need to copy the layer by alt-dragging the mouse, then move it back to it's original position, then use the arrows to move it. Why was this changed?

Along the same lines, I often use shift-arrows to move things by 10 pixels. Half the time this works, 25% of the time it doesn't move at all, and 25% of the time it moves by 1 pixel instead. All while I'm still holding the shift key (not even letting go in between!). I use this function hundreds of times a day. These issues have slowed down my production by half!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to hit Alt.-backspace twice for it to work. This is only since upgrading to 2018. It's driving me nuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes same here. alt+backspace isnt working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CTRL+ALT+0 combination for reset zoom does not work everytime. I can't understand why, it seems that the focus is not on the document working on layers. I can't reproduce the problem, for now.
(sorry for my bad english)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back then in CC 2017 ,sometimes i use my keyboard to do quick fixes in my stuff.. Ofcourse, when i mistake something i smash CTRL+ALT+Z and it'd instantly do so.

HOWEVER, in CC 2018, doing the same smash it won't work inmediatly..Sadly, the temporal fix is to press and hold (then latterly press) CTRL ALT Z in that order so that every Z tap in the end would work

Curiously, using my Wacom Intuos Pro 2017 table's button with the same keyboard function doesn't have the error, making every poke to the button to undo

Will there be a fix for the keyboard method....? and NO, i don't wanna change the key shortcuts..I am used to this method..

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alt & Delete for Quickfill doesn't work anymore in Photoshop CC2018. Thats a real bummer. Its a key-feature i use all the time. Any way to patch this soon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For now, hitting backspace twice works!  Alt+ backspace backspace

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hitting backspace twice is the issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my particular case there is an annoying error bell that accompanies the faulty Alt.+Backspace key stroke which drives me crazier than the double tap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do we have any chance getting a fix? I might as well go back and set CC2017 back into shape instead of waiting for a full year to get shortcuts working 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, a hotfix is in order.  This is one of 2 major problems that required me to revert back to the previous version.  I edit over a hundred images daily and most of them have to be on an individual basis.
I use autohotkey to create macros that streamline the work I do (they're like actions but not limited to photoshop)  Sometimes Backspace needs to be hit twice, sometimes 5 times.  The other issue is that the images dropped in center where the cursor is instead of centering to the canvas.  Has an Adobe rep acknowledged these are bugs somewhere and said a hotfix is or update is coming?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They have been completely silent on the issue other than the vague and noncommittal "we are investigating" canned answer they've copy/pasted in several locations.  It's been 2 weeks.  They obviously don't care.  Why would they care?  They already have your money and they know you don't have any alternatives besides GIMP, which is no real choice at all.   It's a very sad and difficult situation but unfortunately we have to either live with it or roll back.  It's painfully apparent that they have no intention to address this issue with any sort of haste - if at all.  The Adobe department managers and software engineers are probably rolling in piles of CC-generated cash while laughing at our misery in between drug-fueled brainstorming sessions where they draw up the next batch of useless bells and whistles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually Affinity is a great cheap alternative, but anyway, I'm not sure that they don't care just because they have our money.  They have hoops to jump through; even with some insight into their type of business we don't have a crystal ball to see what the issue is on their end.  Maybe there are legal reason they can't make a statement, maybe they're close to releasing a fix.  I can't imagine how painful the testing process is for windows.  I don't know, do you? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's clear that the issue is that they didn't test the software before they released the update.  There's no way this happened any other way.  They probably paid a bunch of temps $10/hr to specifically address  items on a checklist of the latest "features" to be added by the update.  Anyone who actually knows how to use the software would never have missed this.  They broke critical, basic functionality that has been in place for over 20 years.  It's an oversight of epic proportions and frankly it's inexcusable.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Mikael Eriksson's workaround that he mentioned earlier in the thread and it works well for me at the moment.  

Votes

Translate

Translate