• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Slow Curves Adjustment layer with zoom tool selected

Engaged ,
Nov 13, 2021 Nov 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since Ps 23.x most adjustment layers, unfortunately specially Curves, are super slow, throtteled and jerky. - Please fix that asap, thanks.

MBP 16, 2019, Core i9, 64 GB RAM, AMD Radeon Pro 5500 8 GB

MacOS Monterey 12.0.1

Appreciate any feedback. Specially if ther is a workaround to fix this prior to bug fix.

A video explains more than 1000 words: 

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Thank you for that video.
Engineering has a ticket for addressing the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 115 Replies 115
115 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see no real difference - still very slow in all adjustment layers if zoomed in. Actually it's inconsistent, my curve layers with masks (dodging and burning layers) are slow like before. But a curve layer as the top layer with no mask is slightly improved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Sep 02, 2022 Sep 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this is "fixed" again.

Could you share any info how can I see that it is fixed?

To me it still works slow as before.

I need to check my previous posts but I think it about TWO YEARS this bug is in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Oct 16, 2022 Oct 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still slow to respond compared to PS 21.0.3. It's hard to say it's perfectly sagged.

Window10 with Nvidia 517.40 Studio driver on Photoshop2023(24.0)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We addressed the performance for the use case that was originally presented and worked with the customer to verify it addressed issues for their workflow.

We tested various workflows, however, it is always possible that there might be other cases that strain the system.

• Test files
  • attach System info
  • And steps would help diagnose what the issue might be if you are still seeing it too slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to Photoshop 2023 (24.0.0) and it is slow as before. The last working correctly PS version was 21.x, all later versions are broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of curiosity, do you guys have hidpi displays? I would also say 21.0.3 was the last time Photoshop's adjustment layers really flew but they've been hugely improved since the release that introduced the 2022 version that included the LoTR artwork (possibly slightly before); and it holds true for me for 2023 as well. It's not quite back to 21.0.3 but really usable - certainly enough that I've finally stopped having two version installed.

I've been able to untick 'disable native rendering' from technology previews too; which was the only thing that had made any small difference in the intervening time.

From the ton of testing I did in between the only thing that stood out was that the issue would go away if I connected to a standard definition display. I've got a 5k 27" monitor on my PC and my Macbook Pro has a Retina display, so both 2x hipdi - and both struggled with adjustment later lag until recently. But the whole time, on my standard def 24" second screen on my PC, is was absolutely fine... which would make a huge amount of sense for Adobe to have missed it in testing all this time... just a theory!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Can also confirm that the Curves (and other Adjustments are slow again). Here is an example video adjusting the luminosity mask on layer in an 8bit file with an 8x8K Pixel image with just a few layer. it takes many seconds before I can move the curve and after that it is super slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@laden.m What res is your display? I'm thinking that might be the main cause here...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean, I should say @Earth Oliver - while the lo-dpi displays were better when the bug was extant; the hi-dpi displays were also absolutely fine without the bug. It doesn't seem to be the extra pixels per se that's the problem - it just seems to make the bug way more apparent if that makes sense?

It does seem to remain fixed for me though - even with the new 16-bit preview technology preview enhancements in the new version.

My experience was quite different to @laden.m 's too. The curve line itself would lag way behind any cursor movement but consistently - almost like it was waiting for the tiles to update before allowing the curve line to update. Where as the video there looks more like it's waiting to build the cache and then is comparatively responsive once it has (not that I'm saying that it looks usable - that looks tough!).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work on two 2560 x 1440 Displays. One of them is in Portrait Mode. (1440x2560)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please Adobe!

it doesn't work better. it is worse.

Why are all Adjustment Layers suddenly so slow.

And the Curves are unusable when adjusting Masks. It is broken. Please look at my Video. https://youtu.be/CS_ww2D7hkk

I'm adjusting Layer masks many times when i'm editing. I can not wait so long for each curve movement. it ist unusable!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a possible reason for the super slow adjustment layers. I work on two EIZO 2560x1440 Monitors, one in vertical mode. all my panels are on the second vertical monitor. when I hide all the panels (TAB), the adjustment layers work normally, with no slowness at all. I hope that helps you to find a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news here?

It is unbearable to use Curves Adjustment on Mask (Luminosity Mask) when all panels are ON (TAB key) and with a second Screen. Here are 3 Screen capture Videos from my main screen, with the Panels turned ON, on 50%, 30%, and 16% Zoom. As you can see the curves are not usable. And there is 4th Video with the Panels turned OFF where the Curves are slow but usable.

Can someone who uses a second screen try this for me?

I can't work like this and Adobe is not responding.

Panels ON:

and here the Panels are OFF:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The version where this worked perfectly was 21.0.3 (2020), and there have been improvements since then, but unfortunately I couldn't get the original Curve. I have now given up on this and accepted it....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jan 12, 2024 Jan 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wanted to follow up on the slow Curves issue. Despite the recent update 25.3.1 on MAC, the problem of significant lag when adjusting layer masks, which I frequently do in my editing process, remains unresolved.

For a clearer understanding, I'm sharing two videos here demonstrating the issue with the most current version of Photoshop with panels On and OFF.

To troubleshoot this further, I discovered that the Curves function without lag when I hide all panels using the TAB key.

This led me to test each panel separately to identify if a specific one was causing the lag. It appears that the Info panel is the root of the problem. Adjusting various modes and status information settings within this panel did not resolve the lag.

However, collapsing the panel did improve the situation.

I wanted to share these findings with the community and the support team, hoping it might assist in narrowing down and addressing the issue more effectively.

Thanks for your attention to this matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate