• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Slow Curves Adjustment layer with zoom tool selected

Engaged ,
Nov 13, 2021 Nov 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since Ps 23.x most adjustment layers, unfortunately specially Curves, are super slow, throtteled and jerky. - Please fix that asap, thanks.

MBP 16, 2019, Core i9, 64 GB RAM, AMD Radeon Pro 5500 8 GB

MacOS Monterey 12.0.1

Appreciate any feedback. Specially if ther is a workaround to fix this prior to bug fix.

A video explains more than 1000 words: 

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Thank you for that video.
Engineering has a ticket for addressing the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 115 Replies 115
115 Comments
Participant ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(The Disable Native Canvas thing is weird - as according to the Known Issues, that's a GSync bug but I'm on non-GSync monitors.) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@J453I installed 23.2, there is no change in the behaviour of Photoshop when zoom is used, can we agree your team was not able to reproduce this bug yet? my point is maybe I should prepare video now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No improvement here too. The Curves are maybe slightly more responsive when used as an adjustment layer or direct on pixel layer. But adjusting Masks is still painfully slow. Here is a video showing the issue: https://youtu.be/ihJthBXe0tw

It is quite responsive when zoomed out, but when zoomed in very close (the way I need it to be to make adjustments) is not usable. See for yourself in the video.

Please look into it closer. The issue is not resolved.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@laden.mexactly same behaviour as I have on my computer for more than a year with new Photoshop, I think the reason they are not able to reproduce it is because they use different configurations, however, could you check what will happen if you open empty image, let's say 4000x3000 and try to do same test? on my computer the bug is not visible, that's the reason I think some special conditions must be met (I always open photo from Lightroom, which is never "empty")

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jacek Poplawski My test image was 12000x8000 pixels and with approx. 60 Layers, but still I want to adjust just one flat grayscale mask. Why should the layers play any role here? It is just not normal. It has to be much slower when dealing with the adjustment layer on top of all layers because it needs to calculate all the data below?

I just tried with one 3000x3000 pixel single layer image and it is much faster obviously, but still slower when zoomed in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@tiadencould you describe simple procedure how to create good test case from scratch, I mean open Photoshop, open empty image and then do what to have state when bug happens? I tried that and it is not so easy, it's not really about number of layers because I see this bug on my photos with few layers (curves, color balance, selective colors plus dnb masks)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem still persists for me as well. PSB with about 250 layers and a curve on top. Zoomed out it is ok, but zoomed in it's nearly unusable. Document dimensions are about 14000 x 1200 px.
Disabling native canvas improves the curve behaviour not being that sticky, but the overall performance stays poor, for example slow brush strokes. Performace is good when fully zoomed out.

I still use PS CC2018 for everyday work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Marek Domkecan you tell me how to use CC 2018? I was using old version of PS but this evil corporation removed it after some update and I had new version only, without any way to revert it back

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original installers are still acessible here:

https://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cc-2018-direct-download-links.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks @Marek Domke 

will try that today

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that video.
Engineering has a ticket for addressing the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some more videos of the same thing (I think). Showing back when it used to be fine and nowish):

Perfectly smooth in v21.0.3, horrible laggy on everything in v21, v22 and v23 since that release:

Photoshop 21.0.3

Photoshop 23.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and sadly, what you see as smooth isn't smooth at all. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Mohit Goyal no, obviously it doesn't fix the issues. Just look at the latest discussions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Mohit Goyalplease don't tag is as correct answer because your change doesn't fix anything, as discussed previously with @J453 I believe you were not able to reproduce issue yet, this issue exist in PS for more than year (maybe almost two years now?) and if the issue was not reproduced at all in Adobe it means you have some different configurations, maybe only very powerful computers? or maybe it is related to amount of memory (I was testing it but memory usage by PS doesn't increase, but maybe PS uses some heurestics to slow down when available memory is too small), please try to reproduce the issue in Adobe, please look at attached videos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jacek Poplawski I don't know what could be more powerful on average base compared to my Mac Pro (2019) with 3.3 GHz 12 Core Xeon and 192GB RAM, 16GB RadeonPro W5700X. And it is still super slow,  actually slower than on my previous Mac Pro and previous PS Versions.

If Adobe can't reproduce it, they must have some crazy fast rigs there:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@laden.mok if you are on 192GB computer then we can safely say it's not related to memory size of computer 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

v23.2 on an M1 and this issue still is NOT resolved. Adobe, you need to test when viewed at 100% or when in mask view. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jacek Poplawski The issue with adj layer low fps has been around for at least a decade, maybe two.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Earth Oliveryou must mean different issue, the one we are discussing appeared in Photoshop 22.x because everything was working correctly in Photoshop 21.x

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jacek Poplawski yes, they've been trying to fix this issue for decades and it will be working for a dot release, then gets broken again in the next.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Earth OliverI am not sure are we talking about same thing, it's not that Photoshop is slow it's that Photoshop is unusable, you can't do dodge and burn correctly, I don't remember any youtube video or for example proedu video with non functional dodge and burn or curves

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jacek Poplawski I'm speaking to the original behavior as shown in the OP's video. Slow and jerky fps when using a curve viewed at 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Earth OliverI have never seen this behaviour in any tutorial, why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jacek Poplawski I think because they are using not so large files and only with a few layers. With smaller files and just 2-8 Layers, everything works fine here. It is still not super responsive, but not an issue. 

My problem is that most of my files are huge and with many many layers. But wasn't Photoshop built exactly for that?

Votes

Translate

Translate