• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Spring-loaded tool feature is misbehaving

Participant ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey some of us had sound out this issue almost 2 years ago with the "feature" on the original feedback forum that had now been closed. Almost a year had past since one of your colleague claimed to have put in a "feature request ticket", and there are still no fix nor update on the progress. 

Again I want to emphasis that this is no longer a feature request (that your colleague had suggested) but a bug as it's not performing in the way it's supposed be.

For a quick reminder to the problem. It's way too sensitive, I estimate a rough 20-30% of the time I switch to another a tool, the feature will activate, and without me hitting the shortcut key, the tool will switch back to the previously used tool. 

In the time since I noticed this issue, I had change and tested with 3 different keyboards, changed my PC, upgraded the hardwares, and move from Windows 7 to 10. Gone through all the photoshop updates, and yet nothing had change, the issue stayed. 

And meanwhile photoshop had introduced plenty of features in between but there was not a single update concerning this issue. So for god sake, can you guys do something about it? 

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Please try the following new control to customize the spring-loading sensitivity time as per your use-case:

Photoshop Preferences > Tools > Spring-loaded Tool shortcuts

• Check if the checkbox is unchecked
  • The time value above reflects the time for which a key needs to be pressed to enable the spring-loaded feature
  • Keep the time value above to a large value (e.g. 2000 which means that a key needs to be pressed for 2 seconds for spring-loading to activate for it)

Unchecking this checkbox will com

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Hi all,  

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 23.1. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here

To update Photoshop to 23.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating  

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected and share your feedback with us.

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 176 Replies 176
176 Comments
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2017 Nov 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even after the last update, Photoshop is still having this problem with shortcuts.

In short, whenever I change tool through the keyboard, after changing the brush size, the tool reverts to the previously used one. For example, if I use the eraser and then select the brush, I can zoom in or increase the brush size or do anything else, that the tool "automatically" reverts back to the eraser.

But the problems is, the pattern doesn't always work. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't, and I can't understand why.

Also, when I'm using the text tool and writing, I can hit the space bar a couple of times and suddenly the keyboard loses focus, as if I'd clicked out of the text.

I tried to reset the preferences but nothing, it didn't work. Am I doing something wrong? Is it something I missed in the preferences?

I updated Photoshop from 2015.5 to 2018 (on Windows 7 Ultimate) and this never happened with the previous version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been experiencing the same thing on a daily basis since 2018 update.

I have tried resetting prefs, rebooting PS (which is the only thing that helps), but what a pain!  For example:  was using clone tool, hit B to go to brush tool, chose a brush, then it reverted right back to the clone tool.   Could not find any way around this except to re-launch PS.

Using Win10 64bit.  No previous problems with PS prior to 2018 update. 

And while I'm at it, I hate, hate the "hidden tool" thing at the bottom of the tool bar.  Please put the tools back where they were.  It is not efficient or helpful where they are.  I MUCH preferred that the tools were under the "drop down" menu that was previously available at each tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happens here in Win 7 too...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

linda-hall  wrote

I've been experiencing the same thing on a daily basis since 2018 update.

Linda, can you tell use what operating system you are using.  The other two people with this issue are both using Windows 7.

linda-hall  wrote

And while I'm at it, I hate, hate the "hidden tool" thing at the bottom of the tool bar.  Please put the tools back where they were.  It is not efficient or helpful where they are.  I MUCH preferred that the tools were under the "drop down" menu that was previously available at each tool.

Easily fixed.  Click on the three dots and then on Edit toolbar, and then Restore defaults.

Do you know you can save Custom toolbars with custom workspaces?  It is one of my favourite features in recent updates.

Julianne Kost discusses it in the second half of this video.  Check it out.  It's a great feature when using it the way that _you_ want it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem. I had to delete the aamupdater folder and the OOBE folder in your users folder. Then reinstall/repair the Adobe Application Manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Windows 10 64bit.  New install of both Windows and Photoshop CC2018.

And THANK YOU for the info on the tools.  My computer crashed and was rebuilt, have only had PS on it for a week or so, so my fault for not investigating further on the tools!  Thanks for "fixing" one of my main issues!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2017 Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same, can't switch brushes without switching tools. Very Frustrating. No way to select a new brush.
Additionally Photoshop seems to change  the settings on the brush, cant say how exactly only that it seems to change texture and functionality at random.

Unfortunately using a MAC with 10.13 (high sierra)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.

Changing brush opacity with the numeric keypad, or changing tools switches randomly between tools.

I am on my brushes, press 0 to set it to 100 opacity as usual (or any other number), and it goes to the mixer brush tool. Switching to smudge with S (in my setup at least), and it goes back to the eraser (set on E). And so on.
Every time I have to go back to brushes, (B), press 0 again (for example), usually it work. So ti goes 0, B, 0, instead of just the press of a button, and sometimes I have to repeat this several times. to get the shortcut to work.

As of now, I couldn't find a pattern. Install is clean, on windows 10.

Thanks, any help is welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 16, 2017 Dec 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have also the same problem. Every time i change brush size it automaticlly changes the tool.

Working on Mac Book Pro, late 2016. Everything is updated.

Does anyone have a solution to the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 16, 2017 Dec 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 17, 2017 Dec 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chuck,

I've tried to remove the aamupdater folder, and then repair the creative cloud installation but still have the same problem. What is the love folder that you are talking about ?

Thanks !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2017 Dec 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you also remove the OOBE folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 28, 2017 Dec 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why this topic is marked as "Assumed Answered" because I don't see an answer. This problem has made PS an exercise in frustration! I would really like my shortcuts functional, please!

Win10 64x latest updates of Windows & PhotoShop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 29, 2017 Dec 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not solved at all.

Reinstalled windows completly and rolled back to photoshop CC 2017 because I was then having new wonderful and amazing issues with the 2018.

Everything runs ultra smoothly with the 2017 now but Adobe needs to get it together and not screw everything up with each update...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 31, 2017 Dec 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar issue. When I click on eraser tool and start changing the brush, it flops to the Dodge tool. High Sierra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here - very annoying!!!

Win10pro, version 1709

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I've had this issue since CC 2018 update. I was hoping it would go away after a few updates since, alas it's still here.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have all of you that are having issues with this tried what I suggested in post 4?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 21, 2018 Jan 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are referring to  the OOBE folder etc fix it did NOT help at all. Neither did restoring the toolbar to its defaults. Nothing I have seen posted has helped so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Things seem to have improved with the latest PS update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 27, 2018 Jan 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True, I think the last update solved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2018 Mar 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

March 4/18

When I choose a different brush, it switches to the smudge tool.  Select brush tool again, switch brushes, it jumps back to the smudge tool.  How to fix this??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2018 Mar 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot: CC 2018 Win 10 64bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to face the same with Photoshop cc 2018, but after restart of my computer it is now fixed, so thanks to adobe for this new version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate