• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Spring-loaded tool feature is misbehaving again!

Participant ,
Jun 19, 2022 Jun 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright this issue is back again, so since the previous thread was mark as "fixed" 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-spring-loaded-tool-feature-is-misbehaving/...

I feel it's better to create a new thread to bring attention to the problem that had resurfaced since the last update to Photoshop 23.4.1

The suggested method for fixing the issue previously, no longer work. I tried setting the sprk values within the PSuserConfig.txt to the recommended 100-300 (no work), to 1000-3000 (no work), and even 10000 (Nope, issue still keep popping up) 

Honestly, I don't use the spring-loaded feature at all, so I will be glad that if you guys just give us an option to disable it.  

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

@leosn56185363 Yes, the PSUserConfig workaround is now in Preferences > Tools so you can set the timing there.  By default it is set to 200ms which is what it has been for years so if that doesn't work for your workflow, increase the timing or uncheck that option so that spring-loaded keyboard shortcuts are disabled if that fits your workflow.  

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @leosn56185363, thank you for sharing your observation. Have passed this on to the team to investigate.

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello and thank you for the new post. Yeah! The posted "fix" never worked for me either. The problem is still there and i used this thing a lot in my workflow before. I could bridge the problem with the Alt-key, but this only works when you draw with the brush and then the eyedropper tool. Some other artists (including me because i recent discovered a new workflow) using the Brush and then the Eraser - are still on the same problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue also returned for me recently, not sure which version as I'm on the beta and there's been a bunch of quick updates in a row.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try the following new control to customize the spring-loading sensitivity time as per your use-case:

Photoshop Preferences > Tools > Spring-loaded Tool shortcuts

• Check if the checkbox is unchecked
  • The time value above reflects the time for which a key needs to be pressed to enable the spring-loaded feature
  • Keep the time value above to a large value (e.g. 2000 which means that a key needs to be pressed for 2 seconds for spring-loading to activate for it)

Unchecking this checkbox will completely disable the spring-loaded tools feature.

Using this you can have the capability of a more fine-grained control over the spring-loaded feature from the UI itself, and you can also modify it within the same Ps launch itself.

Please let us know the behaviour after performing aforementioned changes. Thanks.

[Also posted this on the original thread here]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@leosn56185363 Yes, the PSUserConfig workaround is now in Preferences > Tools so you can set the timing there.  By default it is set to 200ms which is what it has been for years so if that doesn't work for your workflow, increase the timing or uncheck that option so that spring-loaded keyboard shortcuts are disabled if that fits your workflow.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! I cant believe it worked for me now. 200 is just right for me and my usual drawing workflow - no i can finally go back to it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue

• Photoshop version: 23.4.1

Steps to reproduce:

1. Use a keyboard shortcut to switch to another tool

Expected result: Photoshop will switch to the new tool via keyboard shortcut
Actual result: With the latest update, when I use a keyboard shortcut to switch to a new tool, Photoshop will only temporarily switch to the new tool for a moment and then automatically revert back to the previous tool. I can see the tool switch in the Toolbar, but an instant later (before I have a chance to use the new tool), Photoshop switches back to the previous tool.

This has happened to me before in previous versions of Photoshop, but was working properly again in Photoshop in 23.3.2. Upon advisement of Adobe Technical Support (who logged into my machine and witnessed the bug), I rolled back to 23.3.2 where keyboard shortcuts for selecting tools is working properly.

The Technical Support adviser tried removing Preferences files and other known fixes, but was unable to address the issue, finally having to revert back to previous version of Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @R. Sinclair, thank you for sharing your detailed steps, impressive and very helpful.

Will pass this on to the team to investigate.

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curious if you have tried changing the springboard keyboard shortcuts time? By default it is set to 200ms which is what it has been for years so if that doesn't work for your workflow, increase the timing or uncheck that option so that spring-loaded keyboard shortcuts are disabled if that fits your workflow.

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't notice that a new Preference had been added—and I'm sure many others will miss it. I've unchecked the Preference and the Tool keyboard shortcuts appear to be behaving properly again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This past week often when I choose a shortcut, the selection toggles back and forth from the new tool I want, and the old tool I do not... but not switching over to the new tool until 5-6 times of toggling.

Would like to know if there's a fix. Thanks!

iMac Monterey 12.4. Photoshop 23.4.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@scottyofeden Yup they posted the solution, if it's the spring-loaded bug. 

Just go to "Edit>Preferences>Tools"

then uncheck "Spring-loaded Tool Shortcuts"

If you use that feature, you can adjust the amount of time needed to hold the key down before the feature trigger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I moved the video to this link...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZbpILc5fqfGqqERJ7I3hNeFIOpa7zIDU/view?usp=sharing

(I couldn't find a way to edit my original post : ).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So have you tried disabling the Spring-load Tool shortcuts as I suggested earlier?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I'm zoomed into an image, for example using the magnify tool, changing to the brush tool immediately reverts back to the magnify tool. Zooming back out of the image fixes the problem. Intermittent problem but it happens enough to be extremely frustrating. 

PS v 23.4.1 

M1 Mac mini

* Inventory: Photoshop v 24.3.0; M1 Mac Mini, Ventura 13.2.1, 1 TB SSD, 16 GB RAM; Wacom Intuos Pro M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, maybe its a bug hope it will be fixed soon.regards

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ipv1  Have you try disabling the Spring Loaded Shortcut feature?

"Edit>Preferences>Tools"

then uncheck "Spring-loaded Tool Shortcuts" 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disabled the Spring Loaded shortcut and it fixed the issue! Much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked like a charm!!!

* Inventory: Photoshop v 24.3.0; M1 Mac Mini, Ventura 13.2.1, 1 TB SSD, 16 GB RAM; Wacom Intuos Pro M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also try the navigator panel. Zoom in and out from there and stay with the brush tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I feel like this is happening again in the latest version of PS. I had to turn it off because it kept misbehaving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines