• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Text layer inconsistent property values (new in 13.0.5 / 13.0.1.2)

LEGEND ,
Jun 04, 2013 Jun 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm opening a new topic regarding the new text problems introduced with Photoshop 13.0.5 (Mac) and 13.0.1.2, which seem like a result of attempting to fix earlier font-size reporting issues.

This is worse than before, because:

1) It happens a lot more often (I can open a new file and reproduce the bug easily).
2) Now some properties are "scale aware" and some aren't, resulting in quite a messy experience when editing text.

Bug A (OS X, 13.0.5):

1) Open a new photoshop file.
2) Create a text layer, type a word, commit.
3) Using the transform layer tool, scale the layer up significantly (say 200-300%)
4) Using the text tool, select the word, copy.
5) Using the text tool, click empty area to create a new text layer, paste.

Expected: Same text size the layer I copied AFTER scaling it.
Actual: Smaller text as the text layer was originally created.

Bug B (OS X, 13.0.5):

1) Create a text layer with "add space after paragraph" to 10pt.

2) Scale the text layer using the transform tool to 300%.

Expected: "add space after paragraph" must show as 30pt now, and render as 30pt.

Actual: "add space after paragraph" shows as 10pt, *BUT RENDERS* as 30pt.

The same bug may apply to other text layer settings (kerning, tracking etc.).

The result can be two text fields with identical settings, yet different rendering, example file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0hnlf2e8dzs...

Bug C (Windows, 13.0.1.2):

After scaling a text layer with the transform tool, I observe "magical" multiplication of the values I enter for various properties of the text layer, like "add space after paragraph".

I enter there 10, hit enter, the text box becomes 20.
I enter 20, hit enter, the text box becomes 40.

This also happens with the other settings. For example:

I enter "Tracking" 50, the text box becomes 21.
I enter 21, the text box becomes 8.
I enter 8, the text box becomes 3.

Obviously, that makes any text editing very hard.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 09, 2013 Sep 09, 2013
Okay, I can finally post this:

We have made many fixes to the behavior of transformed text and they are now available in the latest release, Photoshop 14.1, which you can download RIGHT NOW. I will acknowledge, there are still a few lingering issues to resolve, but for most users, these fixes should handle their problems. We felt it was better to get a partial fix out now than a perfect fix in the future. We are still planning additional improvements for a coming release.

If you are still ...

Votes

Translate

Translate
29 Comments
Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2013 Sep 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please include me in the prerelease program.

The issues with the character palette have seemed to have worsened. Even without manually transforming a text layer, there are still times where the values or point sizes go crazy - resulting in oversized text and lots of wasted time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 16, 2013 Sep 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Jay,

The bug only involves transformed type. The unfortunate part is, there's no way to easily know if type has ever been transformed. Once it has, this attribute is unfortunately retained forever and cannot be removed. So, you may have made a tiny change months ago, but will trigger the bug today. Yes, I'm pushing for some changes. We'll see what happens. In the meanwhile, let's get this problem solved.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gotcha, thanks David. Any clue when I'll receive further word on the prerelease program? Trying to be patient, but it's now been over 3 months without being able to install an update in fear of something else breaking in what were newly purchased CS6 licensed versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Howdy Jay,

I submitted your names and emails about an hour ago... It's now out of my hands but hopefully you'll hear something in the next couple of days.

I would install all the updates for CS6. Each one is a little better than the last. Meanwhile, we are planning on overhauling major portions of Type. Like doing an engine overhaul, however, it takes time and isn't "sexy" work. We're always looking for good text-focused prerelease testers...8-)

Happy Monday,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate