• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Weird Vertical Lines when using Smart Sharpen and "Use Graphic Processor" Turned on Monterey

Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jacksonl41895023_0-1635943480408.png

Getting random weird vertical lines on Apple m1 pro with Photoshop 23.0 and 22.5.2

Goes away when "Use Graphic Processor" or "open CL" turned off, but operation becomes extremely slow.

Can anyone Please help?

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the April 2022 release of Photoshop 23.3. This update includes the fix for this issue.

To update Photoshop to 23.3, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected and share your feedback with us.

Thanks,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 119 Replies 119
119 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem on an M1 iMac with Monterey and an 10-core Intel iMac Pro with Radeon Pro Vega 56 GPU and Catalina. Switching off OpenCL and restart does not fix the issue on any of the machines

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updat: After some restarts of photoshop and the machine itself - it now works on the M1 even with OpenCL - im using v23.21

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Same issue for me.

I use PS on a macbook pro 16" M1 max.

When I use Smart Sharpen tool, (with Open CL option acivated), and a reduce noise amount , some vertcal straight lines appears one the picture.

With open CL option desactivated I don't have any issue but the processing tilme is very long...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2022 Feb 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With certain images: such as one attached, smart sharpening causes vertical artifacts. Using unsharp mask does not. This behavior did not happen with prioir versions of PS. 23.2.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many of us have been requesting support from Adobe for this issue...

We received no other feedback than the unchecking of the "Use OpenGL".

Our full monthly subscription fee is still fully charged though...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unselecting "use openCL" did resolve the issue, however I'm assuming this selection is disabling the use of the processor which makes timeline convert very slowly and the lag time is now what it used to be before I upgraded my computer. Many will appreciate this workaround but it simply not sufficient enough for those who are trying to get work done quickly. Adobe needs a solid resolve to make their app compatible with M1 processors. It's absolutely insane that people are spending thousands of dollars for M1 processors for the soul reason of getting work in photoshop done quickly, and yet we can't even use these processors because photoshop's developing team can't keep up... if bugs this catastrophic cannot be fully resolved immediately, its users should not be recurringly charged for the full price of photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, this issue was present before 23.2.1, it's been an issue for months. Actually since M1-version of photoshop shipped. 

Unchecking OpenGl or opening the rosetta transcribed version of photoshop does "fix" the issue, but it's painfully slow. If you are working as a product photographer and need to deliver 100-200 images a day, it's not a viable solution at all. That workaround would maybe suffice for 2 weeks or so when this problem was discovered, but now months has passed.

Unsharp mask is one way to get sharpening but it's to unreliable if the customer expects to get similar images back, like we use to deliver. A week or two ago I talked to a friend who had a print made out of 4 images superimposed together like a panorama. It was 4 x 45Mpix images he shapened and then put into a panorama and sent to the printing house. Since this issue is making vertical lines a pixel wide or so he did not see the problem when saving the super big image, nor did he know of this app breaking bug so he went on and printed this image 3 meters wide for a customer. 3 meters! Every single image in this composition had multiple vertical lines coming out of the press. The result was unusable to say the least and he could not show this to his customer and had to make another huge print using an i9-computer. Stuck with paying for the first print out of his own pocket. 

Adobe: Could we please have an update at least so that we know that this is being worked on? The issue will just escalate when more and more people are upgrading their systems. Are you working on a new version of sharpening, are you doing anyting at all? 

While this might be the most pressing issue with apple silicon version of photoshop, it's certainly not the only one. We often get graphical bugs in the layer panel, rulers de-tached from the canvas floating freely over the app, chrashes (not that often though), some images seem to get somekind of graphic bug where parts of a layer repeats it self over the entire image which is impossible to remove and you need to go back to the raw image. Professionals use this app, we can't deal with you guys releasing crap before it's ready. It's embarassing sitting with a client when these bugs appear. I'm the one looking unprofessional when that happends. 

@J453: You said in the first half of November last year that you are investigating the issue, how is that investigation progressing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@TheColorist Yes, this should have been patched within a week, two at the most. It's becoming increasingly clear that Adobe no longer respects the userbase who depend on Ps for putting food on the table. We have jobs to do and families to feed and bugs taking months or years to patch isn't helping us do either of those.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop version 23.2.1, Mac Mini M1, Monterey 12.2.1. Smart Sharpen Mask leaves random black hair lines in an image. Unsharp Mask functions normal and without issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I'm having the same uissue, this has been months now please fix it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe Adobe could just realease a M1 Version of Photoshop. How much longer do we have to wait?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People see it as failure if you put Hemi engine in new car design, and say the car is built with/for Hemi, but then it has mechanical problems here and there that makes your ride uncomfortable or makes you frequent visitor to car shops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here. quiete a problem as smart sharpen is part of about every action we are using in our workflows ... if you dont want to change the GPU settings to a slower version - it helps for me to choose "old version" in the settings dialogue inside the smart sharpen window. not a solution either - but a workaround until abode fixes the main issue - hopefully soon. we need this.

CleanShot 2022-03-07 at 21.32.42@2x.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The most recent Photoshop Beta updatae contains a change that corrects this problem if you want to try the release and provide feedback:

JeffreyTranberry_0-1646764635707.png

The beta app is a separate application install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeffrey! 

-Kevin Todora

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3/8/22
Hello,
I believe this link is to request the Photoshop Beta update that hopefully resolves the ongoing issue of 1 pixel wide vertical lines appearing in photos after using the Sharpen tool. This has been a very frustrating issue for me when I use my MacBookPro running Monterey 12.2.1 with the latest Photoshop version 23.2.1. Luckily, I only use the MacBookPro to edit photos when I travel.

This issue has kept me from updating my home iMac to O/S Monterey since I edit photos all day and frequently use the Sharpen command. I have kept my iMac on Big Sur which has not caused the vertical lines, thankfully.

A post I made on the Adobe Support Community has received a LOT of comments from other Photoshop users who have been extremely upset over this glitch. I am happy to hear that you are getting closer to resolving the issue and I would be happy to use the Beta version to possibly help you get this update ready for general release.

Please provide instructions on how to download the Beta version.

Regards,

Diane Edmonds

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ProApp.jpg

 Photoshop 2022 - Professional app

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dianeedmonds You can install from the Creative Cloud desktop app. Instructions/FAQ here: https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/creative-cloud-beta.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An alternative is to leave the "Use OpenCL" checked and on. In the Smart Sharpen filter use Remove: "Motion Blur" and the vertical anomilly lines disapear. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed Photoshop Beta version 23.3.0. 

I can confirm that Smart Sharpen with OpenCL checked does not produce the vertical lines anymore.

Is it possible to know approximately when this version will be officially in production?

Thanks for fixing this issue which was really affecting my workflow.

Michel Jarry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Michel J. mostly likely when the 23.3 release is officially released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Auf einem M1 iMac mit macOS 12.3 erzeugt Photoshop 23.2.2 beim Anwenden des Selektiven Scharfzeichners Streifen in Bildern. Ein Bsp. füge ich hier an. Auch in der kleinen Vorschau erkennt man den Streifen übrigens schon!

Dialog.pngErgebnis.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Es liegt am Betriebssystem Monterey. Das ist Adobe bereits bekannt und in Bearbeitung.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seit 5 Monaten

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,