• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Export As does not support Actions or scripting

Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2015 Jun 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no way to record an action so that I can automate Export As dialogue box. What I want to do is to record an action which will save one image in three formats via the Export As dialogue box and the action should remember the settings i input for each dimension. Previously Save for Web did this, but now you are calling it legacy so i expect Export As to be accessible same way via actions as Save for Web was. Thank you.

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
Actions and scripting , macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 114 Replies 114
114 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jun 18, 2015 Jun 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The direction Photoshop CC 2015 is going with the new file exporter is awesome, but please, let us record actions with it in the action panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 28, 2015 Jul 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried making an action and using the NEW "EXPORT" and selected "EXPORT AS" and it left it out of the action.

So now I'm back using legacy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2015 Jul 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New Quick Export feature can't be made an action...

If you record the quick export feature and stop it, nothing happens and no action is added to the set.

Have to use the legacy Save for Web, which works just like it used to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 10, 2015 Sep 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm able to add the Export As... dialog as an action using "Insert menu item...", but there's a couple glicthes.

1.) the action step itself has the label "Select menu item"

2.) when the action is run, this action step seems to perform asynchronously. For example, AFTER I run the Export As... action, I'd like it to close the document I was working on. However, it appears the Export As dialog doesn't stop the action from progressing, so the document closes AS the dialog is opening and it tries to export the next open document. I tried adding an Insert Stop action step, but that seems to break the dialog as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 02, 2015 Nov 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded my licence to CC and removed Illustrator from my daily work flow since the new Photoshop CC 2015 can (finally) export .SVG files. The problem is that Photoshop can not record "Export As..." in actions, and I have thousands of files to batch export...

I have tried the proposed steps 1) and 2), and I am not able to record the "Export As..." dialog. I have also tried the "Quick Export as SVG" method, but that dialog can not be recorded into actions...

Adobe, oh mighty pixel overlords, please add support for this feature. Thanks =]

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 10, 2015 Nov 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe please ad the capability to use the export panel as part of an action. I'm begging you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2015 Nov 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Fireworks to do the job instead:
Fireworks > File > Batch Process...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2015 Nov 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Willy, I am well aware that Fireworks (and Illustrator) can batch export .svg images, but I wish to save on application licence costs and solely use PhotoshopCC. It can export svg files, just not in batch actions (... just yet)!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2015 Dec 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export will not record in actions, when using "export as"...
Also, while it's working I'm unable to do other things on my mac, as Photoshop always lays itself on top of other windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 08, 2016 Jan 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to add my plea to have this functionality included. I have 50 odd photos that I need to save at two sizes each...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

until they fix this, i'd suggest using image processor pro: Image Processor Pro / v3_2 betas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this for real? You can't put Export As in an action?

Who in the world approved this broken tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe Quick Export issues within Actions is due to attempt to change focus to open an external Explorer Window. This shows up as a problem if you put another step after the Quick Export in your Action; you don't get your export and the Quick Export is now broken until you restart Photoshop.

Please remove the OPEN EXPLORER WINDOW 'feature' and this may fix the Quick Export issues within Actions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 10, 2016 Feb 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came across this bug / failure when 'Export As' was first introduced. I thought it was an oversight but they've released various updates to Photoshop since, and the functionality still isn't there 😞  

I really want to dump the old 'Save for Web' workflow but until I can script 'Export As' actions I'm stuck with the old, clunky option for any automated or batched work. C'mon Adobe, exporting optimised assets at different sizes is bread and butter for thousands of users... SORT IT OUT!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 11, 2016 Apr 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to add my two cents to this. We are now coming up to a year since this was raised

It is essential to more complex workflows that you can save web friendly images. I rely heavily on BATCH export methods to run through large volumes of images and the fact that CC isn't able to do this properly is a massive main. I am stuck instead on having to run the legacy save for web several times to produce different image sizes which eats up time

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 06, 2016 May 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I quite honestly cannot believe this functionality is missing. I am a relatively novice user that hasn't owned Photoshop that long. I have just spent 20 minutes trying to find out how to do this because I quite simply could not bring myself to believe that. Photoshop doesn't do it. It's so basic I was 100% certain I was doing something wrong.

Seriously?

I need to be able to batch save images in three different sizes. That's the kind of thing Photoshop was built for. Come on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest using the Image Processor Pro plugin. You can easily save multiple sizes simultaneously in multiple formats... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as part of an action?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't solve the problem. The problem isn't that you cannot export multiple images... it is that it won't work as an action. 

Using a third party plugin might work fine on a single machine (don't know if IPP supports Actions?) but the advantage of an action mean you can export that workflow across multiple machines in an office, share a tutorial online ... 

Having dependencies that an action requires outside the Photoshop Core means you can't do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 25, 2016 May 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

i think my problem is similar to yours. I am trying to run a photo resizing action for a batch. It includes Save for web (which seems to be called as "Export as" in the new CC). I would like to be able to set the destination folder in the Automate batch window, because it is different for each of my batches. I understand, that i have to choose the destination folder than tick the box Override action "save as" commands. But it doesn't want to change the folder, it simply saves the photos in the folder that is specified in the action. So the Override doesn't seem to work in the case of Save for web.  I wonder if this is the same bug in photoshop or I'm doing something wrong?

Thank you in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Image Processor and Image Processor Pro both support Actions as part of their batch export process: Convert files with the Image Processor

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeffrey, appreciate the tip. However, +1 from me too for action-based processing inside Photoshop, as part of a more involved multi-step post-processing workflow.

I'm wanting to do something like this during a batch: run a 3rd party plugin, change colour space / profile, resize, sharpen, add metadata, and then save a couple of different file formats or sizes to different output folders.

Also, the Export dialogue allows me to save JPEGs wider than 8192px, which Save for Web doesn't. What is frustrating is that Save for Web has been deprecated and we're encouraged to use Export instead... but it has reduced functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I'm wanting to do something like this during a batch: run a 3rd party plugin, change colour space / profile, resize, sharpen, add metadata, and then save a couple of different file formats or sizes to different output folders."

you can do exactly that using Image Processor Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using Image Processor Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a bit of a joke. So... I've just had to look up and find Image Processor Pro... downloaded it from Sourceforge and then looked again for install instructions. To do that I've then had to go to Creative Cloud, install Extension Manager CC.

Except when I try to install ImageProcessorPro-3_2b5.zxp it tells me 'This extension can not be installed, it requires Photoshop version 12 or greater.' So this is not a terribly easy or enjoyable process of discovery so far. 

Anyway now I'm wondering why I'm being encouraged to install a 3rd party script via an opaque and clunky multi-step process; all to try and gain some of the functionality and efficiency that Export seemed at first glance to promise several versions back.

Hey, if I'd bought a boxed copy of CC I wouldn't be as frustrated... but when I rent software and am always being told about exciting new and improved features to make my life easier... and I know Adobe's profits have soared since CC was launched... it sticks in my craw that they coded a core feature so it (a) doesn't support Actions and (b) 
the "Export As" dialog does not correctly support OS X's standard Accessibility features (so VoiceOver and other accessibility functions don't work there either) which means it doesn't work with 3rd party OS enhancements.

That kinda sucks...

Votes

Translate

Translate