• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

100% CPU load when saving PNG

New Here ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With one of the last PS updates (not sure which, unfortunately), the behavior when saving files PNG format changed. For instance, when saving a flat 8000x8000px RGB8 image with maximum compression, Photoshop now puts 100% load on ALL 28 cores of my XEON workstation for about 30 seconds.

I don't mind saving to PNG taking some time, so I would rather not have it lock up my machine like that.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gmenzel,

We're really sorry for all the hassle. Could you please deselect the GPU from the Photoshop preferences, restart Photoshop and let us know if that helps.

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick response, Mohit!

That's not it, unfortunately. I had to deactivate this options already for other reasons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did it used to take much longer (10 minutes maybe) on one core?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it didn't take much longer - if at all. I don't have numbers to compare, but it feels about the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, the png-saving code code has changed indeed in one of the lasts major  versions, I have to search more info...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, in October 2017: better compression for PNG  New features summary | January 2018 and October 2017 releases of Photoshop CC

Is the weights of PNG files you saved the same in CC2014, Cc2018?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info!

Yes, specs of files are the same. Hardware of the workstation also remained unchanged. I'm happy to provide more details, if needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing this is exactly what it is supposed to do. Using 100% of all cores is the holy grail of any programmer, and Adobe have some smart multicore programmers. This should not be any sort of performance hit: running at 100% is what an app does if nobody else needs CPU, and it's the job of the system to share it fairly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is indeed the intended behavior, then at least saving a PNG should not take more than a couple of seconds. But it takes about as long as it did when running single-threaded.

As for load-balancing, even within Photoshop itself the UI response gets unusably slow while saving is in progress. In the past I was able to continue work on other documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, maybe it always used the cores, but the UI being unresponsive is a new issue. Just a thought.

Another possibility: that the "better" compression mentioned is much more computationally expensive. Are there any controls in Save-as-PNG for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should state that I am also suddenly having this issue! 32gb of RAM and an i7 8700 processor and my entire system gets locked up when saving a PNG. It relaxes some if I select a lower compression to save. It's interesting - PSDs are almost instant and doesn't touch my system and yet a single layer PNG file freezes up my whole system! Was watching a movie and the system literally had a spasm and I was expecting it to blue screen!

Anxiously waiting for some replies for a possible fix for this. You're not alone, OP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2018 May 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear it's not just me. I hope a staffer escalated the issue and a developer will investigate the problem. Although it would be nice to have this confirmed... Mohit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2018 May 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'll just wait for the next update and hope for the best?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Looks like it's been 5 years and Adobe doesn't care about this problem. I'm experiencing it now after an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing exactly the same issue for quite some time, using a MacBook Pro 15" from this year with 16GB. Saving PNGs in Photoshop gets the fan running as if I'm rendering god knows what kinda 3D material on video. I wouldn't notice the truly excessive CPU usage of doing something as banal as saving PNGs was it not for that noise howl of the fan.

I use iStat Menus to keep track of my system, and it just told me Photoshop was taking up 1166% of active processes. That's absolutely gigantic. I've hit the 800% region a couple of times today. Normal apps shouldn't go much over 100%, ever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 2022 and I'm still on the same boat, nvme SSD, rtx 2080, ryzen 7 2700x, 32gb ram, saving a 4k (4096*4096@72dpi) single layer 8-bit texture as png takes upwards of 5 minutes of 99% cpu usage, bugs down everything 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just encountered the same issue, ran updates recently which I hadn't done in a while and using even the latest Photoshop saving a PNG of any size shoots every core on my computer up to 100% and takes forever to save. This is horrible quality control. Nothing is different about my computer and the only thing I did was update Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines