Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

16 temp files from [cursing removed]

New Here ,
Nov 03, 2010 Nov 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

For some reason a set of 16 temp files is created on my store drive (D:\) when i start up PS. its not the scratch drive. that is located on my ramdrive. these files are named "****_********_MVM_*.tmp" where the first and second line of stars is a random number while the last star is the numbers from 0 to 15. all the 16 files will be named the same but whith a different count at the end.

this is really bugging me since that disk is for storing ONLY (eco green crap 2tb drive), and it looks ugly to. anyway, all the temp files are at 0kb and i cant seem to find any way to 'fill them' so i have no idea what they are for.

what i want is to move them to a specific folder or at least another drive. A:\ in my case

--------

Adobe Photoshop Version: 12.0 (12.0x20100407 [20100407.r.1103 2010/04/07:14:00:00 cutoff; r branch]) x64 (CS5 Extended)
Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit
Built-in memory: 8183 MB
Free memory: 4488 MB
Memory available to Photoshop: 7183 MB
Memory used by Photoshop: 55 %
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
Video Card Memory: 1024 MB
Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\
Temporary file path: A:\Temp\USERTE~1\
Scratch volume(s): A:\, 2,00G, 1,91G free  (RAMDRIVE)

C drive 25gb free (ssd)

D drive 1,5tb free (store)

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 104 Replies 104
Participant ,
Dec 08, 2010 Dec 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

not sure what is meant with unlinking, but the crux is, that they are unfortunately not deleted. Neither when PS or Bridge crashes.

Which is not a new information. I hadn't crashs for a long time here... but this is especially annyoing when in an enterprise environment and / or when there is a dedicated, smaller disk for scratch (60GB SSD or so) and severall >10GB files are laying around until the last session throws the error, that the scratch disk is full.

@roberpoll

you can write a script to delete those, which does so when the OS shuts down or starts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, yes a script would work but I'm less concerned about the temp files occasionally hanging around (although I know it's an issue for some). My problem is that the temp files are ending up on a FAT drive which only allows 4GB files so liquify is giving me 'out of space' errors. The (annoying) workaround is to disconnect the FAT drive when I want to use liquify but a fix would be great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem is that the temp files are ending up on a FAT drive which
only allows 4GB files so liquify is giving me 'out of space' errors.

Hm, except when using Lens Correction, all those MVM files have zero bytes here. In other words they are annyoing to watch, but not a prob here.

The (annoying) workaround is to disconnect the FAT drive when I want to use liquify but a fix would be great.

Any reason why you don't convert it to NTFS?

Try to relocate those drives to another drive letter, maybe X:

And do you know that you don't have to assign a driveletter but can map/mount them (external as internal drives) to an empty folder beneath another drive?

Means, you have a drive H: which is full - and an external drive.

Create a folder in H:, name it as you like, just say you name it "extension" - but what ever you like.

In Disk Management you delete the drive letter (for this purpose, because we don't want to show this drive's root to the OS or PS) of the external drive and assign it to the folder "extension" in H: by choosing "Mount in the following empty NTFS folder" and choose the folder "H:\extension"

It is save to do so... just in case the question rises.

But not sure if this can and should be done with a FAT drive, but IMHO you should convert it anyway.

In other words, you can have "N+" drives/partitions, but only C:\ visible in the OS.

Take care when its comes to a backup. 😉 If C: is backuped, the other drives - represented by and mapped to folders now -, might be backuped as well.

Hope this makse sense. Otherwise feel free to ask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2010 Dec 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI, thanks very much for the mount info - good idea. I'm using fat because I use the drive on macos as well as windows and I'm reluctant to use a 3rd party filesystem driver on the mac.

...rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2010 Dec 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the reason i started the thread was not knowing what they are for, and as you say, robertpoll, i also think i should be able to choose where they should be saved.  after reading all the answers and ideas here it does seem like these files choose to save themselves on the drive / partition with either most capacity or most free space in every case they appear.

when it comes to user and windows temp directory, windows 7 ultimate x64 (at least) uses (system drive) c:\temp folder as default for windows temp and tmp, and user local appdata folder for user temp and tmp.

i had these files appearing before i changed these directories to my A:/temp folder. notably i think i saw some of them in my c:\temp folder as well as the ones on my storage drive.

i've never used bridge so i didnt know before just recently that adobe bridge creates these files as well. without interacting with Photoshop...

for those of you having the same problem as mine, did you install both x86 and x64 version of Photoshop or just the x64 one? just narrowing down the possibilities.

and thanks for all the great answers. not the right one yet though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2011 Feb 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've installed both x86 and x64 versions of PS CS5.

As previously said, I've also installed both CS4 version. None of them has this problem.

Only photoshop CS5 x64 creates those effin files

I've discovered quite recently that those files are not created when opening .psd files in PS, still with .jpg and .png they are.

By the way, I don't mean to complain, but this thread was intended for this specific problem. I totally understand how boring it can be to have windows search problems or thumbnails displaying problem, but that's not the point here.

Tips for users, buy (not expensive) Opus Directory, and you'll have no more problem about this (regex search, fast thumbs and preview even for .psd, raw files, etc.).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Snugyo wrote:

By the way, I don't mean to complain, but this thread was intended for this specific problem. I totally understand how boring it can be to have windows search problems or thumbnails displaying problem, but that's not the point here.

Feel free to go somewhere else if you don't like what we're talking about!  The point is what ever it is at the moment.

You didn't start the thread, you haven't contributed to the thread, and there are no rules stating a thread must stay on one subject.  You even go on to discuss some Opus tool...  You have no business whatsoever complaining about a thread moving on to other subjects.  If the information in a thread leads to other discussions that also help people, then that's a Good Thing.

What questions about these temporary files remain unanswered for you at this point?

Use a term like "effin" and expect to get harsh responses.  Be nice and people will be nice and respectful right back.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The PSD format is proprietary to Adobe, I wouldn't expect M$ to support it. It isn't a requirement such as BMP or PNG.

I would expect M$, however, to provide and implement an API / interface that Adobe should adhere to (for the benifit of their Windows customers), which I beleive M$ "DOES", allowing any company (by the means of a simple codec) to use this interface to provide thumbnails.

To simply say, if M$ doesn't provide a thumbnail preview in their explorer it's their lookout, when M$ have specifically provided ALL COMPANIES such as yourselves an interface to provide this additional functionality, is wrong.

Your customers loose in the end. If that's OK with you, then great, cheers.

Additionally these MVM files in the root folder of nearly EVERY drive I have is wrong.

I HAVE TO SAY, IT LOOKS FANTASIC! NOT!

I'm only running your stupid "bridge" because you don't provide thumbnails in the first place!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Noel,

I came here on this topic because I had and still have a problem with TMP files, as the topic title said it was the subject.

Since my first intervention here, you were aggressive, told me a liar when I was right, so no, I won't show you any kind of respect since you do not deserve any.

My apologies to everybody if I'm from the old school and think a thread should stick to the topic.

To answer your question,

What questions about these temporary files remain unanswered for you at this point?

Well, I came because those files are a pain in the drive, they are still here creating problems, nothing was answered at all. We just made tenth of answers just to proove it was not a illusion of some of us and they are indeed created by photoshop cs5 64bits. But apart from that, no solution has been applied yet.

Since I'm a nice person, I'll follow your advice and go elsewhere to find help and maybe solutions. Sorry if I thought "Adobe Support Forums" was there to provide support. Massive fail. Customer lost.

Best regards

Bruno

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here is a great, fast, simple, free windows search tool...

<link removed>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 29, 2010 Dec 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel

Don't mean to be off topic but how do you kill off all that indexing crap in Win7? Between that and wanting to thumbnail everything, simple file management in this OS is pathetic/slow/terrible comparied to XP (esp in our at-work networked environment). Maybe a primer on how to get Win 7 64 'lean and mean'?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The NLE folks are into system tuning.  Take a gander at the PP forums and do a performance tuning, configuration tuning, etc.  There are lots of threads and several white papers in the hardware/system areas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK will do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just such a primer written.  I'm still trying to polish it up to ultimately put it online as donationware...

Here are the relevant portions per your request above:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disable Indexing

Indexing is supposed to make it quick and easy to find things on your computer using Windows Search (that little box at the upper-right of Explorer windows).

But when you think about it, does it make sense to read all the files on your disk, extract everything you could possibly want to search for, and store it on that same disk another way?  To even consider indexing providing better performance than just searching the files, Microsoft must be picking and choosing the data they think you'll want to look for (excluding data you WON'T want to search for), where you'll want to search, and in what kinds of files, and in fact they are.  How could they know everything you'll ever want to search for? 

They can't.  Not everything is indexed, and never will be!

Try this:  Create a simple text file on your disk, in a temporary folder.  Call it "FindMe.log" and put in the text "This file contains important tax information".  Now navigate to that folder with Explorer and enter the word "tax" into the Search box at the upper-right.  Enter any of the words in that file!  Windows Search will not find the file, because it simply does not LOOK in .log files by default, and there's no fallback strategy - Windows Search simply does not index nor search for information for some kinds of files.  Incredible!

All it takes is ONE TIME searching for something you know is there and NOT finding it to destroy your confidence in Windows Search.

And so they scan through your files endlessly, pick out the strings they think you might someday search for, and store them in yet another set of files (the "index").  As though your computer has nothing better to do.

Not only is the basic premise of this wrong, but it's not even implemented very well.  The index often becomes corrupted, and so Microsoft has provided functions for you to clear and regenerate it.  Just what you wanted to be doing - NOT.

Consider these shortcomings:

• Some file types are simply not indexed or searched by default – e.g., .log files, and there's no fallback.  If you create a new file type no one's seen before, its contents will not be indexed.

• Only strings you are likely to search for are indexed.

• Because of poor implementation, indexing will miss things in some file types that are indexed – e.g., older Microsoft Word documents or files containing Unicode text (Microsoft's own invention).

• Indexes often become corrupted and the Windows Search results fall out of date or it stops finding things entirely.

• Indexing operations use computer time, increase disk wear, and interfere with your own access to your files.

In summary, indexed Windows Search operations in Windows 7 simply can't be trusted to find your data in your files when it's critical, and so they're essentially useless.  Searching for filenames using Windows Search actually can be occasionally useful (though the syntax to ensure it searches only filenames is a bit tricky), but this doesn't require indexing.

Moreover, indexing can actually interfere with file operations, causing your system to report disk corruption, because of an implementation error in indexing and NTFS (search the web for "Atomic Oplock", for example).

So indexing should simply and utterly be disabled.  This won't actually stop you being able to try Windows Search - on the contrary with indexing off Windows 7 will actually search your actual files (within the limitations listed above) just when you tell it to, and (since indexing isn't implemented very well) it may actually INCREASE the probability that you might find what you're looking for.

Here's how to disable indexing:

1. Click Start and enter services in the search box.
  2. When Services (with little gears) comes up, click it.
  3. Scroll down to the Windows Search service.
  4. Right click it and choose Properties.
  5. Change the Startup type to Disabled.
  6. Click [ Stop ] to stop the service.
  7. Click [ OK ].
  8. Click Start and enter index in the search box.
  9. When Indexing options comes up, click it.
  10. Click the Advanced button.
  11. Click the [ Rebuild ] button to delete the index.
  12. It is a good idea to reboot after this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thumbs.db Files

People sometimes report that they cannot manipulate their folders as they want to because Explorer has a thumbs.db file open.  Windows 7 apparently generates these files for compatibility with older software that may expect such files to exist in folders with, for example, photos in them.

The good news is that (with Windows 7 Professional and above) you can disable this through the Group Policy editor:

1. Click the Start orb
  2. Enter gpedit.msc in the search box and hit Enter.
  3. Expand User Configuration - Administrative Templates - Windows Components.
  4. Click on Windows Explorer.
  5. Right-click the entry "Turn off the caching of thumbnails in hidden thumbs.db files" and choose Edit.
  6. Enable the setting.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2011 Jan 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't see how this solves anything. These "MVM" tmp files all over the place is just plain wrong.

A) Please sort it out; whoever is responsible. 3rd party or not.

B) Make your programs show thumbnails in explorer. What kind of graphics application doesn't provide code to display thumbnails in an operating systems file browser in this day and age. (People use PC's too - so have a bit of respect for end users please).

PSD file type icons look nearly as bad as the temp files!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 31, 2011 Jan 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make your programs show thumbnails in explorer. What kind of graphics application doesn't provide code to display thumbnails in an operating systems file browser in this day and age.

Applications that have been working with Microsoft for years to get bugs fixed in the OS APIs for displaying thumbnails, and are still waiting for Microsoft to fix the bugs.

What kind of operating system doesn't provide the thumbnails itself?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 01, 2011 Feb 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rosscosjunk wrote:

Can't see how this solves anything.

Are you referring to my post about disabling indexing and the elimination of thumbs.db files?  You realize that was a direct answer to a specific request, right?

Regarding the temporary files...  The worst thing in your life is some temporary files left over in your TEMP folder?

And as far as thumbnail display, I have to agree that Adobe should be able to engineer a proper solution, but if you're willing to spend just a few $$ there are VERY good 3rd party solutions available.  I'm mildly amused that Chris seems to feel Microsoft should be displaying PSD thumbnails right out of the box.  Adobe may be big, but you're still planetary on a scale in which Microsoft is cosmic. 

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm mildly amused that Chris seems to feel Microsoft should be displaying PSD thumbnails right out of the box.

PSD files normally have thumbnails in addition to the preview.  Apple has been providing thumbnails for years, for most image file formats.

(of course, for MS to do so might require fixing the bugs in their APIs)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't mean to prod, really I don't, but how is it that the 3rd party codec makers (FastPictureViewer, ArdFry, Mystic Thumbs) have got their products working right?  I have seen no problems or file interference at all with the FastPictureViewer pack.  Maybe you should buy one of those companies out.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't mean to prod, really I don't, but how is it that the 3rd party codec makers (FastPictureViewer, ArdFry, Mystic Thumbs) have got their products working right?

We still get some reports of "could not save because the document is in use by another application" with those products installed.

Microsoft told us that they haven't fixed the problem (we asked again after a self-identified Microsoft engineer dropped in to say it was fixed), and our bug reports are still open pending a fix (after how many years?).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

We still get some reports of "could not save because the document is in use by another application" with those products installed.

Microsoft told us that they haven't fixed the problem (we asked again after a self-identified Microsoft engineer dropped in to say it was fixed), and our bug reports are still open pending a fix (after how many years?).

Thanks for the info.  I wonder if the thumbs.db compatibility stuff is turned off (as I have done) whether that would continue to be a problem for them.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for any part of the Explorer team at Microsoft to do anything good.  Thank goodness the kernel people don't treat software development the way the Explorer people do.  IMO Microsoft needs to clean house and hire a new shell team entirely.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is sad, I remember that discussion: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/373182?start=50&tstart=0

So, even with the new API, there are problems... I thought that Brandon said that they were aggressive with bug hunting... maybe for Win8, or better, a Service Pack?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

But IT IS created by photoshop, I have the problem right now on CC2020. So that it is created by Photoshop, or a code Adobe uses from a third party dev. within Photoshop basic&naked installation... that guy was right, he is not a true skeptic, he's having annoying files popping wherever at root of any drive, and so I have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Dec 07, 2010 Dec 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just decided to check what this thread is all about but didn't read  all posts carefully (too long). I gather that there is no conclusion  yet about what exactly makes these files. Right?

I checked all my hard  drives and I found a lot of these  files created a month ago (I use PS almost daily) on the root of my largest partition (2 TB) and several more on a smaller partition (1TB) created on the same date. Nothing on C drive. I have 4 partitions and all are checked to be used as scratch disk space for PS. I deleted the files, opened/closed Photoshop doing a few things but no MVM files were created.

If it will be helpful to make some specific test, please let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files are locked by Photoshop (it can be see by example throw Unlocker) and the files disappear when Photoshop is closed BUT they are created only if I open image dusing drag and drop direct from web page in Mozilla Firefox. In MS Explorer it not happen.

I have set the environment correctly - TEMP and TMP to bigger disc, scratch file to RAM disc and it works.

I try research more...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines