• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

2022 Photoshop Gradient Tool not working

Participant ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Gradient tool keep making a large black line acroiss the screen when I add it. I wanted to fade from red to black

hrhrhrh.png

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Hi! Work caught up with me today. Here are the steps.

1.Create a new layer on top of your room layers and highlight it as the active layer.

2. Select your Marquee tool and select the area where you want the gradient to show for your first room. It doesn't have to be perfect as you can refine this later.

3. Select the add mask button option at the bottom of the layers panel. this will create a mask to hide where you don't want the gradient to show.

Chris486_0-1640835124577.png

4. Click on your layer to select it and sdd

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It would be really helpful to see what you have selected in the toolbar and what is showing in your options bar to figure out why this is happeing. 

Also what version of Photoshop are you using? And what OS are you running?

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I have replied to the person below me of the gradient tool, sorry for the late reply. I am using Window 10 and Photoshop 2022 23.0.2. I remember messing with the gradient option to make a background gradient. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sciencio5EC6!

As mglush mentioned, it will be helpful to see snapshot of your gradient window. Best guess I can see so far is that you have your gradient selected to be foreground and background colors which are currently black and white. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

graszd.PNG

 Here it is. Sry for the late reply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a ton!

Still looks like you have black and white selected. In the gradient editor, can you choose your colors?

Chris486_0-1640754207198.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you want a Foreground to Transparent graidient? Also, as Chris mentioned, please click on the Gradient tool in the tools panel, and open up your gradient dialog box and give us a screenshot of that with the gradient you want to use selected. It looks like your Gradient Color Stops are really close together, or you've added a Color stop.

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sciencio5EC6_0-1640754354713.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Can you click on the top right Color stop to make it active and show us a screenshot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops, I meant bottom right Color stop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears you are definitely using your foreground/background colors. What results do you get when you select your color from the editor?

Chris486_0-1640754748611.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sciencio5EC6_0-1640754905246.png

It still appears the balck edge when i do a gradient move.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sciencio5EC6_0-1640754935900.png

How it looks originally

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I think you have added a point in your gradient. Can you open the Gradient dialog box again and click on the bottom right color stop just underneath the gradient (see Chris's note above) so we can see if there are any points added to your gradient?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sciencio5EC6_0-1640755461175.png

I tried putting the setting chris used and change blue to red and i got this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like your issue is that you have the "foreground to transparent" preset selected. It's fading from your foregournd color (black) to beign 100% transparent so it won't matter what your other color is.

Try selecting the preset "foreground to background" and select your color choices.

Chris486_0-1640755319641.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sciencio5EC6_0-1640755628859.png

Hello Chris! I used the gradient foreground to background and it does not work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We got the black and white colors so we are getting closer! You should just need to change your foreground and background colors to the black and red you want. I highlighted/circled on your screenshot where you can change those. The background color is showing white in your screen shot which controlling the gradient color there instead of red.

Chris486_0-1640755874260.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

See where the arrow is pointing to in the following screenshot, please click on that little box. Then you should see a  small diamond underneath the gradient. Can you take a picture of the Gradient Dialog when you see that and post it?

Thanks,

Michelle

Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 9.30.29 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the inconvinence

Sciencio5EC6_0-1640756123879.png

Sciencio5EC6_1-1640756146409.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize for sounding so harsh! There is no need for you to apologize, I just wasn't explaing correctly where I wanted you to click--it is my fault. 

But, thank you! That is exactly what I wanted to see. If you draw with this gradient now, do you get the effect you want? Or are you still having issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No need to apologize at all! We are hear to help you. 🙂 Thank you for your patience while we work with you to help figure this out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry it is still having the problem. The black layer appears on the screen again whe i drag the gradient red room to the black area as I want it to slowly become trasnparent to black. Like this person face i did

image0.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! There are a couple of ways you can do that:

1. When you are creating your gradient, you can change the opacity in the Options bar:

Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 9.57.43 PM.png

or 2, You can create the gradient on a layer and then change the opacity of the layer. I think this option gives you more control over the gradient after you've drawn it.

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, to get a longer transition from red to black, you can change your toolbar setting "method" to Perceptual.

Chris486_0-1640757410326.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines