Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Action using save as

Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I am using Photoshop 22.5.0

Prior to the save as change I used an action to save as and close current image which worked fine. Today when make an action to save as the action works fine except evey time except I use it it renames the file to the name of the original file used making ther action oveerwrites the existing file. Result aster using it on 20 files what I am left with is the original file name of the file used to make the action and the last file saved as the action was overwriting the same file every time it saved.

Any ideas?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Create new document and while recording save it as .jpg in wanted location without changing name.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Aug 21, 2021 Aug 21, 2021

Finally you understand what I tried to tell you 😉 As to your question, if you ticked the action save item in Action panel it is normal the dialog pops up. Leave that box empty and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thanks for taking the time make suggestions on this thread.

The do not append “copy” to filename when saving a copy was checked as well as enable legacy “save as”.

By now everybody as probably figured out I am on a PC.

Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely your camera raw files from Lightroom are 16 Bits/Channel, which can see in Lightroom under Edit>Preferences>External Editing, so saving as a jpeg from a file that is 16 bits/channel will bring up the save as dialog in your action that was recorded using a non raw file not opened from Lightroom. When you recored the action using a camera raw file from Lightroom the Jpeg is saved as a copy, as you can see in the where it says with copy.

I would use your action that you recored with a non camera raw file not opened from Lightroom that didn't record the file name and add a convert to 8 bits/channel (Image>Mode>8 Bits/Channel) step at the beginning of the action.

Screenshot-(259).jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thank you for taking the time to reply to this thread.

When I use a jpg imported from bridge to create the save as action and then use the action on a raw file from lightroom or bridge the action runs complete, saves the file with original name as a jpg to designated folder however with copy added to file name. No need to change bits.

I seems both where the file came from to make action and where the file comes from that the action is run on change how the action works.

The steps taken to make the action are identical on all the actions.

Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is ridiculous. Why should there be so many workarounds to such a simple task and action? It worked perfectly fine before. I have the same problem and can't figure out how to fix this. 

It seems like adobe in it's haste to make everything cloud just keeps breaking functioning desktop apps while replacing them with mobile apps that have half the functionality. Same thing happens with lightroom....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines