• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Actions: how to copy a layer across to a series of .png images ? ("copy into" not available)

Participant ,
Sep 02, 2024 Sep 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 48 .png images that I want to batch process.

I have another .psd file open in Photoshop with a layer I'd like to copy across into all these .png images.

These layers for some reason are not availabe to Ctrl-C , then Ctrl-Shift-V (copy into) the .png images.

Also, "Duplicate layers..." does not work since the name of the .png file always changes.

Ctrl-A, and then copying allows me to paste the layer in my .png image but its out of position.

How can I make sucessfully make an action to do this?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the PNG images all 24 bit RGB or perhaps indexed colour 8 bit? What about the PSD? What are the pixel dimensions of the PSD and PNG files?

Can you post samples or screenshots to illustrate?

A script might be able to overcome any limitations with actions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

both images are RGB 8 bit, and these are the layers I am trying to copy-paste over.

Whats a good language to script in (I'm not too familiar with javascript, but maybe chatgpt can help me)

IanSAfc_0-1725286279032.png

IanSAfc_1-1725286324108.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copy and paste into should work, one layer at a time. If you only have 2 docs open the action should be OK.

Layer > Duplicate will work in an action for multiple selected layers if you set the modal playback for that step so that it's interactive to allow you to select the target document by name. A script would provide full automatkon of the layer duplication. I'm not sure if layer duplication will correctly position though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks

With only one layer selected it still denies copy & copy-into

I'll try and make it modal...  was hoping to get around doing something 48 times, but the action will help save some time anyway

I might also see if chatgpt can help me make a scritp, its interesting and I will have situations like this int he future too probably

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ideally, you need to find out why it isn't copying.

If you have no experience scripting (even with the assistance of AI), you will likely waste more time than just making this work as an action.

Have you selected all? Is the RGB composite/component channel selected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly is "copy into"? Could it refer to "copy merged"? I can't find "copy into" in any of the menus.

This is possible, but you're having trouble getting it to work for some reason. Are you attempting to copy and paste multiple layers? Have you tried copying and pasting or duplicating one layer at a time? It will be ideally positioned in the exact same spot when duplicating, but only if both documents share the same dimensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly is "copy into"? Could it refer to "copy merged"? I can't find "copy into" in any of the menus.

By @Bojan Živković

I was assuming copy and paste into.  :]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 03, 2024 Sep 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Make sure your documents are all at the same magnification level (50%, 100%, etc.) There is a bug when dragging layers to a new document where they will only align if view magnification is identical. Not sure if this affects copy/paste as I almost always use drag and drop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines