• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

add a selection to an existing mask

Advisor ,
Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a mask that hid part of a layer allowing the layer underenath to show through as shown in the first screen shot.  The mask is turned off so you can see the portion that I hid.  Now I want to hide another portion of that same layer so that the layer undereath will show through - the selection shown in the second screen shot.  I tried finding a solution by typing the words "how do you add a selection to an existing mask in a layer" and got the following answer:  "Select the new objects and apply whatever refinements you require. Hold Shift and Ctrl (PC) or Cmd (Mac) and click the mask thumbnail. This will add the new selections and the original mask selections together. Now you can fill with black or white on the mask layer."  But when I do that, it just makes the selection either black or white, it doesn't hide it.   I think I would need to press Ctrl i in order to actually hide the selected portion (and not the rest) but that doesn't work either.  So what am I doing wrong?  

Doc1-page0001 (19).jpgDoc2-page0001 (8).jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

You want to edit the mask so that another part of the layer underneath is showing.

First click on the mask to make it active. Using any selection tool, make a selection of the area you want to hide. Then with the mask still active, fill the selection with black.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Standing on the mask, select something (for example, using the lasso) and press Del.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For example, here is a layer with a layer mask. The black area in the mask lets the underlying layer show through.image.png

Click the mask to make it active. You should see a double line around the edge of the mask when it is active.

Using any tool, make a selection. In this example, I have a rectangular selection.

image.png

Fill the selection with black.

image.png

Any area of the mask that is black will hide the top layer and show the layer underneath. Any area of the mask that is white will hide the layer underneath. If  there is gray in the make, it will partly hide and partly show the layer underneath, like this:

I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi check the following video hope you understand it all....regards

https://youtu.be/kVPelC_AoGA

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional
How to use Layer Masks in Photoshop and 7 Layer mask tips. In this tutorial, Colin Smith shows you exactly how to use layer masks in Photoshop and 7 Layer Maks tips. Ultimate Guide to Layers masks in Photoshop. â–º Download Layer Blending Modes e-book:http://photoshopcafe.com/blendmodeebook â–º ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great video and channel - thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You want to edit the mask so that another part of the layer underneath is showing.

First click on the mask to make it active. Using any selection tool, make a selection of the area you want to hide. Then with the mask still active, fill the selection with black.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that worked.  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm glad that worked for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines