• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

'Adjustment Layer Properties' window (bring to front by double clicking)

New Here ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi:)

In the older Photoshop versions I used to be able to automatically bring up an 'adjustment layer properties' window (Hue & Saturation for example) in front of all the other open windows when I double click on the 'adjustment layer' layer in my layers window.

Now when i go to my 'layers' window and double click on any of the existing adjustment layers the 'adjustment layer property' window doesn't automatically appear in front of all other open windows and so I have to search through all the  open windows and tabs to try to find it.  It sometimes takes a while to find it and is quite disruptive to the workflow.  

Do any of you know if there is an option somewhere which will allow me to bring up the adjustment layer window in front of all the other windows when I double click on it in the layers window? 

I hope I explained myself properly. Hopefully the attachment will help shed some light on what I meanScreen Shot 2020-03-24 at 2.57.42 pm.jpg🙂

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried undocking the Properties Panel? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've run into the same issue and was hoping there'd be an answer in this thread. The same question doesn't seem to be posted anywhere else on the internet. Did you ever find a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't repro. Only thing I can think of is the panel is on a different monitor than you're looking at, or maybe corrupt prefs.

Try restoring your preferences using this manual method:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's working correctly fo rme. My suggestion for a work around is to have your properties panel out and available as part of your workspace. I always have mine in a sidebar to access quickly. 

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be poping up behind your other dock panels, like Layers, History, etc.

Try to undock the other panels and move them around to see if it is behind them. If so, move it to a visible location and try again to use double click. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm getting something similar. When I try and create a Hue/Saturation layer by clicking on the the "Adjustments" tab and then select "Hue/Saturation", it just takes me straight to the Properties tab and doesn't create a hue/saturation layer. All I'm trying to do is change the hue/saturation of one layer, but I've watched about a dozen tutorials on how to do this, and none of them apply to the latest Photoshop CC. I'm going to see if I can do it in GIMP instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adjustments tab - do you mean the drop down? You can't do it that way - it's destructive from the drop down menu and keyboard shortcut. You can use the adjustments panel to create a new Hue/Saturation adjusment Layer or use the icon at the bottom of the layers menu to create it. 

Yes:

y2024-02-15_11-23-42.png

Yes : 

2024-02-15_11-23-21.png

No 

2024-02-15_11-24-03.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Melissa, I appreciate your response. However, I'm trying to use what you're showing in your second image. I click on a layer and then on the adjustment tab I click hue/saturation...

ChrisLeicester_0-1708021859289.png

And as soon as I click Hue/Saturation, it just opens the Properties tab but doesn't do anything else:

ChrisLeicester_1-1708021895725.png

So it's not creating a Hue/Saturation element - I'm not getting the little white box next to "Layer 1". Exactly the same thing happens if I click the two-tone circle at the bottom of the screen.

Basically, I have two images on separate layers, and I just want to adjust the hue/saturation of a single layer, not both. I can't find a way of doing this. My first idea was to try a hue/saturation adjustment layer - not sure if this is even the right approach, but I can't even manage to do that in this latest version of Photoshop CC (25.4.0).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok - you have a little "gotchya" in there. In your screenshot at tthe top of the layers panel next to kind - you have the first icon selected and the little red dot is at the top and red. Your layers panel is filtering your layers and only showing you image layers so you can't actually see your adjustment layers. You need to turn that thing off -  and never use it again! I hate it - I never use it for this exact reason - I'll forget and it will hide my layers. Let me know if it fixes it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, thank you! I do now indeed get the same as you - so thank you, Melissa! However, although I can now adjust the hue and saturation, it changes all the layers, not just one, so I think I've chosen the wrong tool anyway. Is there an easy way of changing just one layer, or do I need to create a new image with just that layer, adjust the colours there, and copy back in to the original as a new layer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have the right tool - you need to turn your adjustment layer into a clipping mask. In the Properties panel you can click on the weird little icon or you can right click on the adjustment layer and choose make clipping mask. 

2024-02-15_11-55-43.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2024 Feb 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines