• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Any solution for "unexpected end-of-file encountered" on CS5 and macOS 10.7.4

Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2012 Aug 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Mac 10.7.4 and CS5 Extended on an Imac 27.

Today, working on a large file PSD suffix and Photoshop froze. and when I restarted i got "unexpected end of file " error message on the file i was working on, but on several other files also in that folder.

Has anyone found a solution to this? Can you rebuild or restore the file in any way?

The file shows on the hard drive now as 118.6 megs. The files show up in Bridge, but with small Previews.

[post is from 2012 — versions added]

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 16, 2012 Aug 16, 2012

Noel Carboni wrote:

it brings back whatever you were working on in the last few minutes before the failure.

That is correct, of course.  But, if I construe the OP correctly, the computer malfunction also damaged other files in the same older that were not open.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm works as of may 12, 2022
Give this man a medal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Apr-19-2023, and this solution is still working. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since this just happened to me, sometimes there is a temp file you can track down, mine didn't have one. Like said above, I was able to open the file in illustrator and salvage some of the content there. Depending on your file layout, you could probably salvage a lot. I was using smart objects so everything ended up being flattened. But if you don't use smart objects and you only need to get your png files back, it would work for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2017 Aug 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a Fix myself too. Its simply open and safe it in Paint Tool Sai.

The error occur as i put my laptop to sleep while Photoshop is opened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just opened the PSD file with Illustrator and just exported it straight back out as a new PSD with all layers and editable text enabled.

Worked a charm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys I solved this issue by reinstall to 32bit version.

Nothing else worked, not even reinstalling Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what app did you have to reinstall?  lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just happened to me. I called support and they weren't able to fix the problem. I tried opening it in illustrator and exporting to PSD, that didn't work. My file is as the other person mentioned "hosed."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2018 Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open file in Microsoft Paint and save as .png works a treat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2019 Jun 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file might not be the problem

I got the same error and after I tried to open Photoshop without opening a file and I was getting the same error.

After uninstalling photoshop (removing the preferences too) and then reinstalling everything got fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2019 Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downloaded and ran Java for Mac OS 2017-001 installer. Solves the smart-layer error and issues with Illustrator CS6 not starting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I had also faced the same problem many times, but today I came here to find any solution that could help but all in vain. Then I started to tried open the curroupt file in all softwares one by one. Then Jackpot, the said file opened in corel photopaint and then I export my file again in PSD and you know what all the layers and colors were as previous. 🙂 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for pointing this method too!!! I tried the Illustrator one and the layers were gone, saw your tip and it worked for me pretty well, lost only tree layers but for the most part the file was all there. So, people lost in despair as I was, give a try on this method and don't waste any time with third party recovery software or the useless temp files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are on Windows 10, you can open the corrupted psd files using AutoDesk Sketch Pad. After being opened, you can export the file into PSD file again, and problem solved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After never having any luck retrieving a PSD file when this happens -- I randomly opened a file in Illustrator. And it was there! There was only one layer that was corrupted. All the rest were intact. All I had to do was save it as a PDF and then open it in photoshop. Still had some work I had to do on it afterwards, but it saved me a ton of time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best solution is download and open the PSD file in Adobe Ilustrater. Export and save the file as PSD format and now you will be able to open the corrupted PSD file in Photoshop. This worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An other solution:

I was about to give up as nothing worked for me (even a windows back up) but i finally try to download krita and it worked!! Everything is here: all my layers! i saved as psd and succeded to open it on photoshop with everything ok!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

INDEED! Thank you for saying this. I've invest way too much in Adobe over the last 15 yrs to have this much trouble THIS often with Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im very late to this, but I found a solution. Files > left click the file > then "Version history". Here I found my past saves and was able to recover the save I did before I exited photoshop, everything was intact. I don't make multiple files so this is what helped me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem today, then I tried to upload on photopea and it's helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you happen to have the new M1 chip in your mac laptop, set your Bridge to Open in Rosetta by going into your applications folder, finding Photoshop 2023/"right click" on Info/check off Open in Rosetta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines