• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Any tricks for photoshop vector to Illustrator vector??

Contributor ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Omg, I stupidly built a whole (huge) file in Photoshop with all vector files, assuming I could export this file as a vector-based pdf. But now I am reading that photoshop can't export to vector. I could remake the whole thing in Illustrator, but that will take AGES. Does anyone have a trick for me to get this file to export as a vector-based pdf or to more quickly get all of the imagery into Illustrator in the same positioning as it was in Photoshop?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @sarahpeller this page explains how to go from Photoshop to Illustrator:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/move-designs-between-photoshop-illustrator.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2023 Jul 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But now I am reading that photoshop can't export to vector.

That seems like a flat out falsehood. 

Shape Layers and Type Layers (without faux-styles at least) should be able to output just fine as vector and type data in pdf (and eps). 

And have you tried simply opening the psd file with Illustrator with »Convert Layers to Objects«? 

Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 17.31.51.png

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Paths, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@c.pfaffenbichler @kevin stohlmeyer I did try these methods, but I am messing something up along the process, if indeed you can output to vector in photoshop...

I made a video to explain a couple more things: https://www.dropbox.com/s/r1dtzaor9lxof55/what%20am%20I%20doing%20wrong%3F.mov?dl=0

Thank you sooo much for your words of wisdom! Hopefully when you see this video you'll catch where I am going wrong. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smart Objects instances are not vector content (though the Smart Object may contain vector content) and therefore do not output as vector content. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If a psb-Smart Object indeed contains Shape Layers and Type Layers one can unpack that via Layer > Smart Objects > Convert to Layers BUT the applied transformation gets lost. 

Edit: @Jarda Bereza created a Script for »unpacking«/»unsmarting« psb-Smart Objects: 

https://www.mightyplugins.cc/magic-scripts

What are the Smart Objects exactly – placed ai- (or pdf-)files or Shape Layers and Type Layers converted to a psb-Smart Object? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@c.pfaffenbichler - all of the smart objects are ai files, with a couple of eps or svg files. I made sure they were all vector files. I don't have any psb-smart objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you provide one of the files (no linked SO, though)? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@c.pfaffenbichler -

You're welcome to look at my entire psd file, if you like:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zvqqj3uuo47hvjv/6-Pack%20Carriers%2002%20-%20no%20linked%20SO.psd?dl=0

Does this help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! 

Unfortunately you seem to have »painted yourself into a corner«. 

The instances of placed Vector Smart Objects are not vector content, so there is none save for some Shape Layers and a few Type Layers that could be output as such. 

An issue I had not foreseen is that the Color Overlay Layer Style on the Type Layers will not work out in Illustrator. 

But by removing those I could at least get the Type Layers as editable text in Illustrator. (see screenshots) 

Screenshot 2023-07-14 at 08.22.36.pngScreenshot 2023-07-14 at 08.22.46.png

It should in principle be possible to collect the placement information of the vector Smart Object instances and then place the contained vector content in an Illustrator file at the corresponding scaling and postions with a Script (but that would not do  anything for all the pixel Layer Masks yet). 

Creating such a Script would seem a lot of work and, unless the task is a very frequent one, hardly worth the effort. 

If you decide to recreate the design in Illustrator please remember to use Linked files or Symbols for the elements that are used more than once per ai-document. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 14, 2023 Jul 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, dang it. I was hoping there would be an easier way... 

I am curious though... You say, "The instances of placed Vector Smart Objects are not vector content", but all of my vector smart objects are vector files. Why have they turned into raster files when placing them in Photoshop? Is that just what Photoshop does when you place a vector? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2023 Jul 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Smart Object is the embedded or linked file, the things you see and edit in the Layers are its instances. 

The Smart Object may be a vector file format (ai, pdf), the instance/s of the Smart Object is/are not. 

They are plain pixel content, accordingly they exist and will be displayed in the image’s pixel grid. 

I suppose this may not be emphasized very much in tutorials on Smart Objects, but Photoshop is in essence still pixel image editing software (with limited vector capabilities; funnily enough a very few of Illustrator’s path editing features are inferior to Photoshop’s). 

Maybe someone has already created a Script for cases like this (though your use of coloring layers and layer masks would still involve pixel content). 

I can’t recall seeing one on this Forum yet but maybe you should start a new thread asking specifically about such a Script and mark it »Actions and Scripting«. 

Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 12.23.36.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I have a question...

When you're in Photoshop, and you place a linked vector file, does Photoshop immediate rasterize that vector file? Because I placed all vector files. They aren't just labeled with pdf or ai extensions -- they are legitimately vector files 100%. I double-checked all of them. So, if Photoshop is supposedly supposed to preserve the vector Smart Objects, is there a setting I have in Photoshop that is causing the these vectors to turn into pixel layers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you copy a vector file and paste it into Photoshop you get a choice of how you want the vector to be placed.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you save a Photoshop file as PDF, any vector information should be preserved. You can also use the EPS file format to preserve vector.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I have a question...

When you're in Photoshop, and you place a linked vector file, does Photoshop immediate rasterize that vector file? Because I placed all vector files. They aren't just labeled with pdf or ai extensions -- they are legitimately vector files 100%. I double-checked all of them. So, if Photoshop is supposedly supposed to preserve the vector Smart Objects, is there a setting I have in Photoshop that is causing the these vectors to turn into pixel layers?

By @sarahpeller

I already told you: The instances of Smart Objects are pixel content. How else do you imagine that Smart Filters could be applied to them? 

That Vector Smart Objects contain vector data does not change that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Outputting a smart object will always rasterize it. Don't use smart objects.

Photoshop is a pixel-based raster editor, not a vector editor! It is possible to output vector elements from Photoshop, but only under special circumstances and you need to watch everything all the way to avoid rasterizing. Photoshop will always "want" to rasterize everything.

In short - use Illustrator for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I of course have always known that you use Illustrator for vector editing and use Photoshop for pixel-based editing. However, I thought that if you placed a vector file and did not edit it, it would stay a vector. But it seems that as soon as I placed that vector file into Photoshop, it automatically rasterizes it. That's my question. Does Photoshop always automatically rasterize ever vector placed into a Photoshop file? I'm not even talking about exporting or saving. Just wondering if upon placing the file into a photoshop file, if it automatically rasterizes at that moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't rasterize the smart object content when you place it - but the point is that the smart object will always be rasterized on any kind of output. A smart object is a container that cannot be output as-is, it has to be rasterized. So at the moment of output, anything inside that smart object is flattened and output as pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 24, 2023 Jul 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. That makes sense to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's my question. Does Photoshop always automatically rasterize ever vector placed into a Photoshop file? 

I already answered that. 

The Smart Object is the embedded or linked file, the things you see and edit in the Layers Panel (edit: and on the Canvas) are its instances. 

The Smart Object may be a vector file format (ai, pdf), the instances of a Smart Object are not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines