• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Artboard layer transparency bug?

Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2015 Jun 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I create Artboards, the transparency on my images is no longer visible, instead replaced with white. This seems inconsistent. Is this intentional? Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Cool! Thanks Pete. My two cents would be to make it either checkerboard or solid white based on a Preferences toggle and apply that to both modes.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2015 Dec 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm disappointed that a transparent checkerboard option in the artboards hasn't been included in the latest update, 2015.1 (or at least I haven't found it yet.)

On the whole I've found artboards to be very useful, but I often create white icons and graphics and so I have to use a colour fill in the artboards while working on them and then hide these before exporting. An option to show the checkerboard would be great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2015 Dec 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, really confused me as well - I thought PS had flattened my layers or something.  And how exactly am I meant to see white objects or selections... they just look like a solid white page/square?!

Please give us a toggle to use the standard chequerboard option - as we're all used to.  This is making it really hard for me to adopt using art-boards... and I really want to as well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2015 Dec 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You had to see the frustration of our designer when he realised that there was no way to bring back the transparency. He want mad behind the screen, like a dog chasing his tail. He calmed down when he realised that on his laptop he forgot to update.

PLEASE BRING THE OLD STYLE BACK!

Also, even if this is not the right topic, I would like to point out that the flat design UI is utterly horrible. Seeing it on a website is one thing, having to constantly work with it is a totally different matter.

No presents for you this year Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2016 Jan 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AGREED,.. or rather "AGGRIEVED" !!! 

What a ridiculous decision Adobe.

So, If I want to create a white object (art) on a transparent background, I have to "guess" what it looks like ?

Hey it's a Polar Bear in the snow !!

Come on Adobe, make features that are genuine improvements, not what you think we need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2016 Feb 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed it should be transparent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2016 Feb 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After I first saw this I have canceled the updates for Photoshop. I see that the issue is still there and I am very disappointed with your way to handle things. I am sorry for the other designers and photographers who have updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2016 Mar 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

select the artboard and choose from the contextual menu "Ungroup artboard"

this reverts the behaviour to a single document/artboard and restores the checkered transparency

for unknown reasons, the document size is different than the artboard size though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

solved it, thx!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2016 May 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to concur that "white" for transparent is just plain stupid.
Please bring back the old style for artboards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2016 May 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the worst. I'm TRYING to use PS instead of Sketch. I've been using Photoshop professionally for 8+ years. I'm curious what kind of people you were user testing? You still have a transparent background for a single canvas, then "Flip it into artboard mode" and you lose it. I understand that out of the gate, especially if you're trying to copy Sketch functionality, that you wouldn't want to have a fill layer for every single artboard... but you would have to make one anyways for anything other than white. There needs to be a simple way to change it. And you're ADOBE. Not a small team like Sketch. Get it together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2016 May 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unrelated, why in the hell are you naming your apps by year?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2016 Jun 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FINALLY! An update (Photoshop CC (2015.5)) that allows us Transparent Artboard backgrounds!! It's about time! Now I can use them again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed! This is a really good fix.

I'm still not sure why the screen area is acting like it's solid pixels of white when I have transparency on the layer. That's inconsistent with the "no-artboard mode" where I am seeing the checkerboard if I delete the opaque layer. But at least I can see what's happening in the layer preview.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're still seeing white on your artboard?

When you make a new file, set the background to transparent and the artboard will have a transparent bg (checkerboard).

If the file has already been made, then select the artboard and go to:

Windows -> Properties and there you can change the bg color to transparent.

The link shows you what it should look like:

Use artboards in Adobe Photoshop ​

You should see your main area as transparent after that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Golden. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2016 Jun 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not like this!!!!! I can't turn my images so that there is a Transparent background!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2016 Jun 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

spudnikswonder - In the most recent version they've made it so you ought to be able to. Read over the thread and make sure you're on 2015.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2016 Jun 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you... >_>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2016 Jun 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the current version the transparency bug has been fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2016 Aug 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been working on the same file, which contains several artboards, and after this update, when you export the file as PNG, Adobe began to ignore the parts that were supposed to be transparent and objective. This update (2015.5) ended up hurting me. Ideally, there is a way to change the configuration of the "background" of artboards at once. What is the forecast of this update? Captura-de-Tela-2016-08-10-às-17.06.25.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 10, 2016 Aug 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi henriquer,

Did you install the 2015.5.1 update?

If you select the Artboard itself in the Layers Panel, and then check the Properties Panel for the selected Artboard, you should be able to change the Artboard Background Color to Transparent instead of White.

This option is also available when you're creating a new Artboard document in the New document dialog.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2016 Aug 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great guy!

Updated yesterday and now I can see what you're quoting here! Wonderful! Problem solved!

Thank you Adobe and you in particular!

Now I can relax!

poolparty-l.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2016 Aug 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All

i have a .png transparency problem here too. However i have an alternative solution for now but its not the proper way of doing it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem (ctrl+shift+alt+w)

i cant save (ctrl+shift+alt+w) all artboards in one go. 170x120.png has no transparency

Pete.Green​ i hope you can solve this.

Disclaimer: I am not the only one with this particular problem My team is counting on you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Solution/Temporary Fix

Layers (F7) > icon group layer (rightclick) > Export As...

if it doesn't work by just right clicking the group layer export as.., Covert that group to Smart Object check if there is an actual white bg if there isn't try again

if.. its still doesn't work, try giving the Smart Object a Clipping Mask and try exporting again..

well thats all i know. Im sorry if any of the methods i mentions didnt help much.

Last solution, you just have to go back to the old school way ...

regards

shirs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines