Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

batch change background product photos to white - help

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am thinking of buying photoshop, but I would like to know if this would work.

I have to remove the background of product images (Clothing) and change it to solid white. 

The Products are colourful and  in front of a white wall.

Since i have to edit a lot of pictures regulary, i am looking for a way to automate this process.

I need to save them as .jpg files!

Would this be possibe with photoshop? Removing the original background and replace it with white on several photos at once? 

I have the pictures as .jpg.

Thank you !

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , macOS , SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me be blunt: If you start with jpg the process does not seem to be implemented great to begin with. 

I recommend that you avail yourself of the free 7-day-trial of Photoshop. 

The clipping of the objects is the crux; Photoshop’s Select > Subject may suffice for your needs or manual improvements may be necessary, no way to say for sure for anyone but you. 

Please post a couple of sample images. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

people have been using Photoshop for decades to do exactly that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But whether full automation works reasonably well depends on the images. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

people have been using Photoshop for decades to do exactly that.

By @Earth Oliver

Yes, but new user without any prior experience with Photoshop, looking for an automated way? That's not very realistic and sounds like a road to disaster to me. It takes a little more than that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I think it's fair to say you can't expect to use Photoshop to automate something until you can do it accurately manually. This may take practice, training and experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a product photographer and I have a number of actions and scripts that mostly automate cleaning up a white background.

Having said that: I have 39 years of photography experience and have been using Photoshop since version 2.5. I know how to properly light and shoot an image to get a white background, and I know how to manually mask an image with path and selection tools if needed.

My suggestion for a newbie would be to look into plug-ins, if you absolutely MUST automate this process. Get the book Light Science and Magic and learn how to light, this will make things SO MUCH easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the OP mentioned that the images are jpg I suspect they are not the one doing the photographing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, working with JPEGs is risky. I do it sometimes but again, I know the limitations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just posted on another related thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/jpeg-with-outline-path-to-transparent...

That thread inspired me to make something that should do the job. It's fresh out of the oven, started only hours ago, so it could have glitches still. Just let me know any problems. Also I'll attached an image. If this solves the problem, I'd appreciate marking it as the answer. Thanks.

http://www.marspremedia.com/software/photoshop/batch-web-images

batch-web-images-02.png

William Campbell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2023 Sep 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello i'm interested in trying a trial of photoshop if can make this.. i have photos with white background but is not uniform so could be less grey in some part of image... i'm testing batch online  software that seems works with limitations for trial... i need to make a PURE white background along many photo that compose for 360 degree image... actually i'm using a free plugin inside wordpress to make white backgroud that works great .. the only thing is that is not automated so need to do each image at time... SO my question is  does exist a script or plugin that makes this result ? thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you expect this to be done automatically, you'll be disappointed. It's not very complicated to make a white background, but it's manual work. At least if you want it to look good and credible.

Even so, I cannot stress this enough: by far the most efficient and time-saving way to approach this, is to shoot it right to begin with, using proper lighting. Anything after that is damage control, and is guaranteed to be at least 10 x as time-consuming.

Above all, expose correctly, or brighten to the correct level first. Trying to put a white background on an underexposed photo is a classic mistake that never looks good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i understand but i already shoot an image in total white background and with  enough light to make it white for above all the image.. only  very few parts are with a small shadow.. not perfectly white..

some software already did the trick  but i prefer to make it with photoshop because i will use alo for other things... however if too difficult i will try to find elsewhere a solution if possible with other software too ...thanks for advices

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on your needs Select > Subject might suffice and could be automated. 

hello i'm interested in trying a trial of photoshop if can make this.. 

You need to use the trial to find out; don’t expect anyone else to tell you if Photoshop can work as you need it when you haven’t even provided a single one of your images to evaluate. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I try another free software (i not mention here obviously)... i hope can do also in photoshop.. in my case only to choose FC then use the bucket fill and all the background is WHITE ... maintaning the small shodow under the object (that i need to preserve) and so perfect result

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The process you are describing seems nonsensical – why involve the Bucket Tool at all?  

Please provide sample images already. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's better i show you with a video

video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If most images are close to white the easiest approach is create an Action to add a Levels adjustment layer (or call Levels) and pull the highlight input to the left to brighten. This will keep the shadow. Select Subject and invert the selection to clear the background would likely not keep the shadow. Once settings for Levels are found that work well enough for most images, and are saved to an Action, then batch process a folder full of the images. Many Photoshop users do this kind of thing, or similar, all the time. It's just a matter of having, and knowing how to use, the available tools.

William Campbell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most of the time, if it's really shot on a white background with proper (diffuse) lighting, it's enough to just increase exposure overall. No selection, no masking.

As I said above, the classic mistake is putting a white background to an underexposed shot. It always looks fake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks i know so i try to put the lighter i can with light and overexposure while shooting.. so i will improve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok thanks will try

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines