• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Batch PSD to PNG action not saving to PNG (need help)

New Here ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when I record an action: open PSD, save as PNG, close

then run it in batch, it still saves the files as PSD

it seems like it doesn't record the "save as png" action

any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post meaningful screenshots (the fully expanded Action in the Actions Panel etc.). 

Have you tried Image Processor Pro instead of Batch-ing? 

https://sourceforge.net/projects/ps-scripts/files/Image%20Processor%20Pro/v3_2%20betas/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i cant install the extention : https://prnt.sc/uvbotj

my PS info : Adobe Photoshop Version: 21.2.4 20200922.r.323 2020/09/22: 8e8e91e8543 x64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post meaningful a screenshot of the fully expanded Action in the Actions Pane? 

Try this link

https://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2011/05/new-image-processor-pro-script-for-cs5.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be best to post your action  a video is not going to show you action steps step by step.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tested with Photoshop 21.2.4 on Win.

Everything works fine. We need more info like action steps and configuration in Batch dialogue although that should be easy to set up, just check Override Action Save As command.

here are exported files in my batch, just as expected

png exported.jpg

And here is simple action recorded for testing purpose

save as png.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having this problem. =( Saved a "save copy as PNG" recording three different times. Finally caught the script saving once as a PNG, then overwriting the new files as PSDs again somehow. It was super bizarre. "Include subfolders" was specifically turned off during the batch action. 

Have not found a resolution yet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Finally caught the script saving once as a PNG, then overwriting the new files as PSDs again somehow. "

This is strange because PSD should not overwrite PNG file. You can overwrite PNG but not using file with PSD extension. Something else is going on there. Can you post screenshot of batch dialogue and action expanded so we can see action steps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Figured out the problem. The "save as PNG" action forces me to define the folder PNGs are saved to. Correct configuration for batch-saving a PNG was as follows: 

- Start recording new action
- File > "Save a Copy"
- Save as file type: PNG
- Save to a folder you don't mind being your permanent PNG deposit folder for batches
- Stop recording action. 

When USING the batch record, VERY IMPORANT: 
- Select the folder full of PSDs

- Tell it to run the PNG action

- Pick "SAVE AND CLOSE". Do NOT tell the batch option to save to a new folder, or it will generate a ton of duplicate PSD files with weird name extensions. 

- After the batch runs, gather your PNGs and move them to the correct folder. 

I was accidentally overwriting the PNGs because my destination folder was nested inside the PSD-holding folder, and I told the batch to include sub-folders, and I told the batch to "save as" instead of save and close. I just didn't understand the logic the computer was using. Took half an hour of troubleshooting. 

Hope this helps someone else!

- Laura

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines