• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best plug-in option for image enlargement please?

Guide ,
Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I am training somebody who is determined to use a fairly low resolution image (Approx 5000 x 3000) for a large format print. I have tried to persuade them that it's better to shoot at a higher resolution but , you know how it is. Please can you tell me what they're best option is for enlarging. I know they can rescan a print etc but I'm looking for a digital solution. Are there third party plug-ins that will do a better job than Photoshop's built in tools? After Effects has a great "Details Preserving Upscale" effect. Anything similar for Photoshop?

Using the Detail-preserving Upscale effect in After Effects

Thanks a million,

Angie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Angie

There is this from Topaz although I never used it myself

https://topazlabs.com/ai-gigapixel/

Review here

Topaz AI GigaPixel review, image resizing software tested

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 21, 2018 Sep 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use this and find it excellent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't work at all for me. Went through a week with Topaz support and finally got my money back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the Preserve Details Resample methods?

preserveDetailsScr.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we tried these but it looks too “sharpened”. Conversley the Smoother option looks too “smoothed”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Then blend to two together at 50% opacity  and try to add noise/grain, where does that get you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any particular reason upsampling is needed at all? Will this be seen from much closer than normal viewing distance for whatever size is intended?

5000 x 3000 may not be state-of-the-art today, but not many years ago it was. If the file is good quality and carefully sharpened it should still work for almost anything.

The only reason to upsample, ever, is if you can see individual pixels. Even at billboard size, you have to get awfully close before you can make out 5000 individual pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its for a large format art piece so will be viewed close up at a large size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, but then you need to decide just how much. Upsample as little as possible, just enough to avoid visible pixels, and then do a careful round of sharpening afterwards.

If I have to do this, I always use Bicubic Smoother, precisely because it doesn't sharpen on its own. You have much more control if you do it yourself. The ACR filter is excellent for this, since you can control the amount of halos with the Detail slider.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I'll give it a go 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines