• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Black in Illustrator = Grey in Photoshop (same CMYK color profile)

Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2024 Jun 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've searched, I've used Chat-GPT, none of the reasons I've found apply in my case because I have confirmed that all my settings from one document to the next are identical. 

But when I File>Place Linked my Illustrator file into Photoshop the black background of my illustrator file appears grey in Photoshop.  

If I add a Curves or Levels adjustment layer the 'black' end of the curve/levels (at 0-black) is grey.  I cannot make it turn black with an adjustment layer, in other words.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Screenshot 2024-06-15 151538.jpgScreenshot 2024-06-15 151633.jpg

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 15, 2024 Jun 15, 2024

There are additional controls in Illustrator:

2024-06-16_10-39-44.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are additional controls in Illustrator:

2024-06-16_10-39-44.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my God you'd think I didn't have over 20 years experience with Adobe software!  Thank you so much, this was really messing with me 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2024 Jun 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lots of people trip over this, so don't feel too bad.

The default setting in Illustrator (and InDesign) is "display all blacks as rich black". But Photoshop doesn't have that option at all, it will always display blacks accurately. And for 100K black, that's more like a charcoal gray.

To be honest, I find the choice of default in Ai/Id surprising. If you're doing work for offset print, you really need to see (and take into consideration) how overprinting 100K black actually looks on paper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2024 Jun 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Illustrator the Separations Preview Panel’s »Overprint Preview« should help visualize the issue regardless of the Preferences »Appearance of Black«-settings. 

Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 09.07.22.pngScreenshot 2024-06-17 at 09.07.29.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2024 Jun 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Correct. That's a bit like proofing in Photoshop - but still something you need to turn on and off. It's more convenient to see it correctly the whole time, as you work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines