• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blurry PDF when importing into Photoshop

New Here ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've encountered a huge problem with trying to import PDF files into photoshop.

What I have done is to export PDF files from either AUTOCAD or illustrator. When i exported the files the lines are all very crisp and clear (example below)Capture.PNG

when i place the file into photoshop, it instantly turns grainy... it is very obvious when i print it out on paper(example below)

212.PNG

i have already tried so many methods

such as making sure its 300 ppi, changing pixel sizes, checking anti aliases.
Have even tried with the CS 5 version, 2017 and 2019 versions

Please do help:(((((((

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you have zoomed in over 100% after placing to get the second screen shot? If so, just don't. You are giving up being vector, and the resolution is fixed into pixels at the moment you import. I assume the first screen shot is zoomed in using Acrobat, which is fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldnt say that i have zoomed in too much as you can see from the screenshot when i printed it out there is a stark contrast between both exported from the illustrator and the one from photoshop (dpi300)
1222.PNG

12331.PNG
I am wondering if this happens frequently for importing pdf or other formats into photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd open the PDF in Photoshop as min. 600dpi - can you try that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok the quality definitely improved following your suggestion of 600 dpi and also 1000 dpi however the file size definitely shot up from 200 mb to 500mb to 1.3gb

600.PNG600 dpi

1000.PNG1000dpi

are there any other options to look out for?
also is there a difference between setting the dpi when creating a file and opening the pdf directly with photoshop then setting the dpi from there?
thank you for your advice though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inevitably, the higher the resolution, the larger the file size. But why do you want to rasterize a vector file (i.e. open vector PDF in Photoshop) in the first place? If you want to print with crisp line, why not just print the PDF...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do you open vector pdf files from photoshop, I believe i didnt rasterize the image

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, if you multiply the resolution by 2 you multiply the file size by 4. What are you trying to achieve - the big picture? What you are trying to do may have an entirely different approach that is not going to need impossible file sizes, and might not be done in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have zoomed in too much for screen viewing. It will be poor quality above 100% as all images will (except simple rectangulasr boxes).

Printing is a different story. Printing vector art accurately requires high resolution, perhaps 600 ppi, perhaps the device resolution in demanding cases (e.g. 2400 ppi, a file size for you in the dozens of GB). This is why it is not done with Photoshop. Illustrator and Acrobat are the right tools for working with vector art.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the zooming was done with aim to show how grainy it is..and also I have encountered such issues before without checking it properly which led to printing grainy drawings as an architecture student.

I have also been using 300 dpi as my template for quite awhile now..but i am not sure as to why i am encountering such problems now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The other way is to create a Smart Object by File > Place Embedded... (or Place Linked...). This way, you would retain the vector data.

> i would like to add pictures or colors e.g. paint bucket

Ah... that's a wrong approach I am afraid...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you rasterised it. That's what Photoshop does, it can't import a vector PDF as vectors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please take a step back. You seem to expect Photoshop to do something that is just impossible. Please tell us what you want to do, or accept that Photoshop will do this. All the signs are that you are trying to use Photoshop to do something that Photoshop is not suitable for. As we have asked: WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS STRANGE THING?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the issue is i that i would like to add pictures or colors e.g. paint bucket etc into the drawing which is way faster than illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be faster in Photoshop, but it isn't the right tool. Find a way to do it in Illustrator. (Which is NOT however, a general PDF editor!! Use it only for Illustrator PDFs. We cannot offer you a solution for editing AutoCAD documents nicely in any app except AutoCAD.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as a sample, this is an example of what i did in the past which was simply adding colors from the paint bucket tool aaa.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you create a Smart Object like I said previously, you can paint bucket a layer underneath the Smart Object (if that makes sense)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried doing so but it is equally as grainy which would make the colors grainy as well unless I increase the dpi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2018 Nov 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suddenly remember I actually do similar thing from time to time myself

The way I do is this: In Illustrator create a white rectangle that cover the whole drawing. Then select everything > Pathfinder > Divide. This will create areas surrounded by the lines in the drawing as white vector shapes. Now you can now set the colour/gradient of the area as you like. Hope this makes sense...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I understand what you are trying to do and why, what you need to use is the "Live Paint Bucket" tool in illustrator. This will keep all your items vector and allow you to drop paint into the areas as you would do in Photohop.

I would suggest taking a look here. Illustrator Tutorial - How To Use The Live Paint Bucket Tool - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. This is because Photoshop is the wrong tool. What you need is a colour mapping/CAD tool. No Adobe tool can be used to do this well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and WHY should someone place a rasterized PDF inside Photoshop in good times of Smart-Objects?

give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

option 1

from acrobat DC open file

export it any format you want and any resolution

if you don't have DC

option 2

1. if you have illustrator  open it there

2. razstersize it the highest resolution

3. auto trace it full color - regardless that its low color

4. if looks decent - rasterize again at 300 dpi this time and export it as a .png and choose  large dimensions

5. now open that in photoshop

option 3

open in photoshop

change it to bw , then change to bit map - set a large resolution

2. save .bmp

3. open .bmp in IL

3. rasterize image 1200 DPI

4. Autotrace

5. expand

6. save as .pdf or any format you like

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you are overzooming - export it as a .svg and open it in your browser and you will see it will be 100% no  loss

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AutoCAD & Illustrator are Vector based softwares. When you Import it in Photoshop it converts to Pixels or Vector but based on the document resolution.

So you can just increase the document resolution but also you will see these pixels when you make over 100% zoom in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines