• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Boycott Creative Cloud?

Advocate ,
May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you haven't heard, CS6 is the last CS version. From now on, you have to rent your applications via the Creative Cloud. I don't like the new subscription model. I have bought every CS upgrade since version 1, but it looks like CS6 is the end for me, even if it means keeping an old computer around just to run CS6 applications.

Perhaps Adobe would change its mind in a few months if most everyone avoided signing up for the subscription. In any case, they've created a real opportunity for competitors.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 417 Replies 417
LEGEND ,
May 28, 2013 May 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gary,

I never said I wouldn't sign, nor that I didn't sign.  What I said was "signing that petition is just an exercise in futility…"

I still say it is/was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 31, 2013 May 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

station_two wrote:

Gary,

I never said I wouldn't sign, nor that I didn't sign.  What I said was "signing that petition is just an exercise in futility…"

I still say it is/was.

I see. Thank you for the clarification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2013 Jun 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a whole bunch of us for whom CC is a giant rip off. We are artists or small business people on a shoestring budget.

Amen!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 02, 2013 Jun 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phi Phi Island is a great place that has little to no internet access. So much for CC to function.Screen shot 2013-06-02 at PM 09.27.43.png

Oh well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2013 Jun 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike Ornellas wrote:

Phi Phi Island is a great place that has little to no internet access. So much for CC to function.Screen shot 2013-06-02 at PM 09.27.43.png

Oh well.

Oh but Adobe say users without internet can use 3G or go into an internet cafe when the software needs to check their subscription status because it is a fast and light process, lol. Maybe nobody at Adobe has heard of Phi Phi Island. I've just had a mental image of someone lugging their 26" iMac or descktop PC into an internet cafe so as their Photoshop can check their CC subscription status 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, this is the whole reason why there is a move to get Thomas Knoll to build a new application to cater to photographers on location. To be honest, I could care less about internet access when I was there. Literally this place is in the middle of nowhere Asia.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.phuketthailandtrip.com/images/sub_1280145602/koh%2520...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe no longer has "customers", they now have "subjects" . . . as will all the others who wil
follow their lead and switch to rentals exclusively, if we allow it. I'll continue to fight this, long after
the fight seems over! This could be the begining of a dim future for software users, again, if we allow it.

SICKENING

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not a subject. You are a minion now.

http://www.adobe.com/misc/subscription_terms.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike Ornellas wrote:

You are not a subject. You are a minion now.

http://www.adobe.com/misc/subscription_terms.html

I doubt anyone who has subscribed to this toxic cloud so far has read those legal terms.

One would need to have an IQ below room-temperature range—in degrees Celsius—to agree to those terms consciously and knowingly.

Any corporate counsel that would remotely allow his/her corporation to go anywhere near that contract would be incompetent and criminally negligent.

We'll see whether the market can regulate and correct itself in this grotesque caricature of excessive capitalism or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

European monopoly laws are going to have a field day with Adobe layers. I wonder if the CEO took into account all the law suits Adobe shall bare with their new pricing structure on CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 04, 2013 Jun 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any further information? Huh? Real? I´m interessted in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 04, 2013 Jun 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL
Agree

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2013 Jun 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just scanning through the terms and this little gem jumped out at me...

"...For Your Shared Material that’s Shared in a public forum (such as discussion boards or public galleries that may be browsed by anyone with an internet connection, etc.), you grant Adobe a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, transferable, and sublicensable license to adapt, display, distribute, modify, perform, publish, reproduce, translate, and use Your Shared Material for the purpose of operating and improving the Services and enabling your use of the Services....."

So if you upload an image to a discussion board such as the one you find yourself on, Adobe now will have the right to a "worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, transferable, and sublicensable license"...?!! Holy Sh¡t!!! Not only can they appropriate your image to use for themselves, but they can also sublicense it to third parties! This just gets better and better.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2013 Jun 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And......even if you decide to pull said 'Shared Material' off of said discussion board because you would rather not have Adobe (or its sublicensees) use your work, you're probably gonna be outta luck!

"...Upon removal of Your Material from the Service or upon making your Shared Material no longer shared, Adobe shall have a reasonable time to cease use, distribution, and/or display of Your Material. However, you acknowledge and agree that Adobe shall have the right but not the obligation to keep archived or “backup” copies of Your Material or use Your Material pursuant to Section 15 (Investigations)....."

Wow...Adobe sure does have some smart lawyers...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2013 Jun 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If CLOUD technology takes over, all software companies will follow ADOBE model and in 2 years, this is gonna be monthly bill for any average PC. (very same for MAC)

INTERNET..............................................................$ 50.00 / month

Windows................................................................$ 30.00 / month

AnttiVirus...............................................................$ 35.00 / month

MS Office...............................................................$ 40.00 / month

Adobe....................................................................$ 50.00 / month

Media Soft (CyberLink/Nero/Roxio)........................$ 25.00 / month

Plug Ins (20 at special price $ 2.00/each)..............$ 40.00 / month

1 more unspecified soft..........................................$ 30.00 / month

Monthly TOTAL to run PC....................................$ 300.00 / MONTH......................pretty much same as leasing a new car 

Enjoy your CLOUDY days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That´s it! Great Post.

----------

CC = Cash Cow = Terminating the word "Archive" in digital future = Lifelong dependency = NoGo = Never

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you upload an image (or write) to a discussion board such as the one you find yourself on, Adobe now will have the right to a "worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, transferable, and sublicensable license" (to adapt, display, distribute, modify, perform, publish, reproduce, translate, and use Your Shared Material)...?!! Holy Sh¡t!!! Not only can they appropriate your image (and writing) to use for themselves, but they can also sublicense it to third parties!

ya, very scary

i recall reading that Micro$oft has the legal authority (by agreeing to their software installer licensing terms) to come to your house or business and seize your computers if they have evidence you are violating the agreement... and there are news stories that seem to validate they actually do this on a regular basis

personally, i'm not too worried about Adobe plagiarizing my pros (enough people steal from me on a daily basis i would go nutty going after all the thiefs), and i've always used legitimate licenses to fear knocks on my door

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brad - intellectual property created under non disclosure agreements means law suits for Adobe in the cloud. Actually, the lawyers are dumb as they are smart in their wording. This is the end of Adobe no doubt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is another petition at Whitehouse.gov asking that the DOJ investigate Adobe . . . problem is, it's 4 months old and hasn't come close to it signature goal, I think mainly because you have to create a whitehouse.gov account to sign . . . also, I believe it's for US citizens only . . . still, here it is:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/ask-doj-investigate-adobe-systems-inc-recent-announcement-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Competitors are already ramping up for an attack on Adobe market share. Phase One just cut its prices to hook some of you. I believe I will go for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well...Phase One and all the other Photoshop competitors aside (and I already own CaptureOne Pro 7), as I sit here working on a file with 37 layers weighing in at 1.1GB, I don't see them as something to fall back on when it comes to image editing. Perhaps in the future, but certainly not now. Unless Adobe sees these other software companies as a threat down the road, 'The Cloud' seems to be the only platform most professionals like myself will be working on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike Ornellas wrote:

Well, this is the whole reason why there is a move to get Thomas Knoll to build a new application to cater to photographers on location. To be honest, I could care less about internet access when I was there. Literally this place is in the middle of nowhere Asia.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.phuketthailandtrip.com/ images/sub_1280145602/koh%252...

any idea what corporation owns that yacht on left ? they might have Wi-Fi, and i need to use it...........................................to send my NO!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think all of you are nuts. You complain about the price, but now anyone can have PS for 20 bucks a month. You say you don't want to pay Adobe for the rest of your careers, but you already do that now. I think this will open the door for more users who can't afford the full cost, but would gladly pay a monthly fee. Go find another app. I've used PS since version 3, and I've never found anything to compare. So good luck finding something better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alan3984 wrote:

I think all of you are nuts…

Well, I think you are stupid.  So, there! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2013 May 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take your hands off your hips, and quit pouting. It makes you look silly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines