• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't paste image into layer mask

Explorer ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why, but for some reason I can't post an image into a layer mask. I alt clicked it, it's editable, but pasting doesn't have any effect. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

If you are copying content of layer which is embedded in your document do the following:

• Select layer which content you want to copy in the Layers panel.
  • Ctrl + click on the layer thumbnail to select its content or if content is covering entire document use Ctrl + A.
  • Edit > Copy.
  • Ctrl + D to deselect.
  • Alt + click on layer Mask.
  • Edit > Paste. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2023 Nov 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't read the rest of the thread, but I can tell you that you can't paste an image into a layer mask. 

What you can do is duplicate just one channel into a layer mask.

Ctrl click the channel to load it as a selection.

Select the layer Mask

With black as the foreground colour, use Alt backspace to fill the eselection.

A more useful application is to use Luminosity Masks.  These are very handy for targeting particular tonal values.  I use a free extension by Sven Stork called Interactive Luminosirt masks

https://exchange.adobe.com/apps/cc/12307/interactive-luminosity-mask

I see he has another extension that looks interesting.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2023 Nov 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tested Photoshop 25.1.0 Release, working as described above in my step by step answer. Can you record video or something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2023 Dec 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there, PS 25.3.1. Mac OS. Same problem - I can't paste into the layer mask.  I follow all the advice posted here.  https://youtu.be/uwH5ajzO5Ps

Restarted PS - doesn't help. Tried to different files - same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am testing right now on Windows, it works, I do not think it is Mac related things, it works. Follow instructions and report result:

• Select all
  • Copy Merged
  • Select layer with mask then Alt or Opt + click on layer mask
  • Paste
  • Alt or Opt + click on layer mask to go back to normal mode

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same result https://youtu.be/4UxorCiLVMc

I asked a colleague to repeat this procedure on Windows - same negative result - can't paste. In her case, a new layer was created. I had it, too, in one of my trials. But not onto the layer mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I saw it. And many other videos showing the successful paste onto the layer mask. I don't see any difference in the steps between the successful video and mine. Do you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not watch your video, it is private video, thats what is displayed to me.

Screenshot_2023-12-29-21-45-02-048_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

Yes, I saw it. And many other videos showing the successful paste onto the layer mask. I don't see any difference in the steps between the successful video and mine. Do you?

By @Dmitry34091910x7of

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry!  Here it is https://youtu.be/4UxorCiLVMc . But as I said before I tried it on my wife's computer - and everything works as it should. Mac os the same PS. Something is wrong with my setup.  Should I reinstall?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing. I tried it on my wife's Mac, the same PS version - it works without any problem! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2023 Nov 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Trevor.Dennis 

You can paste any image into a layer mask. All you need to do is target the mask by alt-clicking it, and paste. As Bojan describes.

The image you paste can be any color mode, RGB, Lab, CMYK. It will be converted to your working gray in the layer mask.

I've done it this way for many years. I just tested it to be sure, in case there was a bug in v25 or new behavior. But there isn't. It still works like it always has.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I have the same problem pasting onto a layer mask. Have you managed to resolve yours?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines