• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

can't save tif as jpeg

Engaged ,
Apr 09, 2022 Apr 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an action that reduces the size, adds water mark and copyright notice to images and saves as jpeg.

For some reason, one tif stops at the save and offers to save as PSD.  If I manually try to choose jpeg, it is not a choice, only jpg 2000, which doesn't even show up properly. I've looked, and there are no extra channels, layers or paths than any default tiff, and have tried the action steps manually and don't see why this differs from all those that work fine.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Adobe adapted after Apple made changes to the API.

You can find png, jpg, pdf, etc., in Save a Copy (not Save As)

or
you can revert to the previous behavior in Preferences > File Handling > File Saving Options:

• Enable Legacy Save As
  • Do not append Copy to filename

See if this helps with your action. If you need help editing the steps of the action, post a screenshot of the action here. Resize the panel taller and wider, and expand the section for saving.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That will work.

Another way to deal with this in actions, is to include steps that makes the file satisfy the jpeg specification, before it goes to save. Flatten, convert to 8 bit, remove alpha channels. Then Save As will be allowed and Save A Copy is moot.

It should be said, though, that removing alpha channels can be a bit tricky if the alpha channels have different names. The action will record the name.  Someone here once came up with a simple "remove alpha" script that can be called from an action. I used that until I recently lost it, so I'd be grateful if someone could post it again 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if (documents.length) {
	chnnls = [].slice.call(activeDocument.channels); while(chnnls.length)
		/MASK|SELECT/.test((shft = chnnls.shift()).kind) && shft.remove()
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, great - so I just put this in Presets > Scripts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do so and (re)launch Photoshop you'll find related item in File / Scripts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wonderful. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated code to be run only when documents are available, otherwise you'd end with error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my initial post, I tried to make it clear that this was just one tiff, that doesn't have extra channels or layers, or paths and don't see how it differs from all the others that save as tiffs normally.  Now however all my personally created actions have disappeared and only the default ones are there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@robirdman1 wrote:

Now however all my personally created actions have disappeared and only the default ones are there.

If you saved the Action Set (panel menu > Save Actions), then you can choose Load from the panel menu and re-load the .atn file.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines