• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can the interface menus and icons be set a little larger in 64bit Photoshop version CS6 ????

Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2012 Mar 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can the interface menus and icons be set a little larger in 64bit Photoshop version CS6 ????

It would be very helpful if the tools and font size choices were enhanced to Larger, Largest or custom enhance. Anyone know if that is an idea we can send to Adobe?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Mar 26, 2012 Mar 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want my little red 'X' back...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Mar 26, 2012 Mar 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rprevost wrote:

Joey,

In addition to what Noel wrote, there is also your monitor resolution that can be tweaked. Spcifically, if you're using Windows 7...

• Right-click on the desktop
  • Select "Screen Resolution"
  • In the Screen Resolution dialog, there are 3 options in the lower center.
  • Click "Make text and other items larger or smaller"
  • Chose one of the 3 pre-set sizes <OR>
  • In the left column, click "Set Custom text size (DPI)"
  • Then scale the ruler until the text size suits your needs.

Word of caution: Most of the screen text will increase in size, but the dialog boxes and fields, and labels, and buttons and bows, etc. Oh my! may not.

Since you're using PS, I'm assuming you know how to calibrate your monitor color. You may also need to adjust the clear type text and screen contrast if you haven't done it in a long time. Title bar and (some) dialg box text can also be manipulated by clicking "Personalization" and fiddling with the Windows Theme text.

Another word of caution:  (if I may) If you're prone to tinker, like I am, wait for a day less busy. Once you get in there and see all the glorious things you can change, you might catch the "Let's see what else I can change" bug. And it won't be pretty. . . . .at first.

Hope this helps ya'

Randy.

Changing resolution is useless on LCD monitors because they have one usable fixed resolution which is listed as (recommended) - changing to other resolutions  gives useless distortions of the display. Only CRT monitors were capable of different perfect resolutions which I was able to change on the fly but CRTs are now history.

Using Windows 7, once I tried the steps you are suggesting to change the size of the text from smaller (the default) to larger and I got unreadable menus with deformed characters which I wasn't able to revert back to normal by any other means but system reinstall.

Clear type doesn't make any difference on higher resolution monitors like mine (110 ppi). Clear type makes difference on low resolution monitors which natively display text quite large and don't have the problem in question.

So, for this problem I don't see any help on system level using Windows.

The best solution is the UI designers and software companies to have in mind the variety of screens available today and create options for optimal display on the different monitors. I do struggle and strain my eyes with many UI elements using various programs. I use Photoshop with the large size text option in the preferences which helps a lot and makes PS easier to use than other programs like Illustrator for example but it would be much better if it was possible to adjust all UI elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2012 May 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got to agree. The window labels are extremely small and hard to read. It goes against everything Accessibility is all about. Companies and developers who take the position that it works for them and to heck with the other are not playing well with others. Target Co. tried to ignore complaints from it's special-needs clients and they were sued for millions. For those of us over 60, the new CS6 interface is user-hostile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

chilldave wrote:

…For those of us over 60, the new CS6 interface is user-hostile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I AGREE.  I AM NOT BUYING CS6, AND WON'T BUY AGAIN UNTIL I CAN READ WHAT IS IMPORTANT IN USING PHOTOSHOP.  ADOBE IS MAKING A BIG MISTAKE BY NOT GIVING US THE CHOICE OF LARGER FONTS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doreintl, can you please be more specific about what you can't read?

I mention this, because some parts of the UI are customizable.  Just not certain other parts, like the main menus.  I just want to make sure you've noticed the settings I mentioned in my March 26 post above.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think most users and professional users are aware and understand there are UI settings in the Prefs menu. The issue is with the choices and the definition of small, medium, and large UI Fonts for HD monitors.

That needs to be an option at maximum resolution.That's it. This should be done. I believe it can be done as an update for HD monitor users especially on a 64 bit system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANKS.  I SPOKE WITH ADOBE TECH AND THEY SIMPLY SAY THAT IT ISN'T IN THE CODE AND THEY CANNOT INCREASE ANY SIZE OVER AND ABOVE WHAT IS ALREADY THERE.  THEY DO AGREE THAT IT WOULD BE EASIER TO READ IF THE TEXT WERE LARGER

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2013 Sep 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MAKE IT ALL BIGGER ADOBE! 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2013 Oct 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might be of help. I found the instruction in another page but no need to link. I'm only 21 and my eyesight is pretty good, esp wearing glasses, but I had trouble reading the text.

Windows 7: In Photoshop go to Edit> Preferences> Interface. Then set "UI Font Size" to Large. I previously had it set to Medium. Hope this helps. Obviously as mentioned in the dialog you need to restart Photoshop afterwards

I'm using the same version of Photoshop though in Creative Cloud (CC) so might be slightly different with minor incremental improvemements.

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing I have said over and over again, and no fault of yours, Motion0w22, its all good, is that the current settings to increase UI components do not satisfy hi resolution moonitors. The small icons are bc the pixels are small and their fixed ratio for those icons are going to adjust to their engineering. I've been thru this before, this is not a difficult fix. Its a scaling issue. Hi rez monitors give us the advantage to see more realestate AT HI REZ  when zooming in and out and to have that supports the workflow more than ever. Adobe has a new CC collection out, why was the scaling issue not supported? What agendas are they prioritizing before this,...its not very comfortable to work when the icons are so small on hi resolution monitors. I DO NOT HAVE A VISION PROBLEM. I have whatever most healthy 40 year olds have,..but its difficult to work. period.  If Adobe can make large icons in the Layers panels why not the tool bar and the menu bars and their components. NEED HELP HERE PLEASE, ADOBE!!!!!!

Thank you,

-Lamps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel your pain, Joey -- or rather, your eyestrain headaches.

There must be some reason why Adobe is ignoring this issue, an issue that was once so important in software design -- an easy & quick to read UI. I guess this issue is going the way of the tactile keyboard, when marketing "cool & different" is more important than usable features.

Sales/marketing drives product development as does keeping costs low. It would probably cost Adobe less than $1 per customer to do something about this issue by rewriting some code, but the bean-counters have nixed it to keep profits high. Adobe is now a monopoly and is simply behaving like one, as the CC model is a classic example.

So it's up to users to help each other the best we can. Here's how I'm dealing with the problem. I have resorted to using dual monitors -- a high rez 24" "image editing" monitor and a low rez (1280 x1024) 19" "palette" monitor where I have all my tool panels and the tool icons. That has helped a bit, along with configuring my Wacom tablet's keys & radial menu w. commonly used PS menu items.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 26, 2013 Oct 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you deal with the difference in mouse speed across the two different monitors, *Photonic?  I think that would drive me bonkers.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 27, 2013 Oct 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

How do you deal with the difference in mouse speed across the two different monitors, *Photonic?  I think that would drive me bonkers.

-Noel

Good point Noel. Could be an annoying problem using a mouse, but I use a Wacom Intuos tablet which works differently than a mouse. The change in cursor speed doesn't seem to be as noticable.

One challenge though is the change in very wide aspect ratio when two monitors are registered on the more square layout of the tablet. Drawing a circle tends to be an ellipse, and a line can track differently from you hand motion when drawing. Fortunately Wacom allows you to set up a quick-key on the tablet to toggle mapping the tablet between dual monitors and the single monitor you are editing upon. As with learning to use a stylus pen instead of a mouse, it takes a while to get used to, but works fine for me now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 26, 2013 Oct 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I switched from Photoshop to Photoline one of the first things I noticed was that the icons could be set to three different sizes, and it still amazes me that this is still not addressed in the newest version.

Anyway, another solution: use an iPad as a Photoshop controller:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/adobe-nav-for-photoshop/id426614130

If you do not own an iPad a bit of an expensive solution 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 05, 2014 Mar 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just want to add another voice to this request for UI tool icon sizing options. Just signed up for CC and am feeling like I need glasses...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amen, Alexas.  I do wear glasses and I have specialized computer monitor glasses, and I still have to strain my eyes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old thread and I have replied to it before, but I've just noticed that this has to be the most politely phrased request for a fix for high dpi and the Photoshop UI, we have seen to date.  None of the vitriol and rants at Adobe for being no better than they ought to be, and arbitrary statements that the OP once read a book on Basic programming and could fix the problem in a couple of hours if they worked for Adobe.  I can only think that the OP must be a Brit to have such nice manners, and come across so politely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2014 Dec 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have CC also, and migraines by the middle of the afternoon at work. I got some magnifying eye glasses at CVS and it helps with the icons. But of course, now the problem is I can't tell the actual size of the elements I am creating and have to flip the glasses up and down constantly. About a 5% improvement.

In a nutshell, Photoshop and Dreamweaver are not cross platform applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2014 Dec 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indesign CC and Illustrator CC both work perfectly. How can that be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2014 Dec 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've fixed it: in the Settings of Photoshop CC there is an option "experimental" The you can set 200%.

Works1 perfectly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2014 Jul 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Necroposting on this to bring a fix, of sorts. Check it out over here:Re: Illustrator CC 2014 interface size too big.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2014 Nov 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is a nightmare. I can't use Dreamweaver (CC 2014) for more than about 2 hrs a day because of the eye strain and ensuing headache. Work bought me a copy last week and I love it, for 2 hrs a day. Unfortunately, I work 8 hrs a day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today i recieved my Asus NX500 with a 4k screen. Illustrator, indesign menus are perfect. The menu of Photoshop CC is simply not readable anymore

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Adobe trying to pressure us to give up and buy a Mac?

My whole company is on Windows. They will buy me a Mac, but they won't support it, I'm on my own. I can't do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines