Jun 16, 2015 Jun 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you export a animated gif in the new photoshop cc 2015 export options

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Alas, we have not yet ported over animated gif export. We will definitely not phase out Save for Web without this functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2015 Jun 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a note, I am trying to do this without the legacy option

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alas, we have not yet ported over animated gif export. We will definitely not phase out Save for Web without this functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2015 Jun 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

soooo... in the meantime... how do we save an animated gif??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 22, 2015 Jun 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sarah,

None of the functionality of save for web has been removed. The menu has simply moved (shortcut remains the same). So, you should continue to us that for animated gifs.

Joan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2015 Jun 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I'm having the same issue with saving an animated gif and totally get that we should use the save for web legacy. The problem is it's exporting the artboard too.  I utilized the Video Timeline and it won't export it properly.  I may be doing something wrong.  I did however go back and create a regular 72dpi image and not as a web document thus cutting out the artboard middle man. This seems to work, but was trying to utilize as much of the new features as I could. Am I doing something wrong in GIF creation? Thanks!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2015 Jun 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can the Staff member in this discussion list the steps in savings an animated gif with the new functionality (not using the legacy option please). Which also includes different artboards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2015 Nov 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I no longer have this as a menu item.  Has it moved on the menu?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2015 Dec 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears in the Export menu, i.e. File > Export > Save for Web (Legacy).

You can then save as an animated GIF. Worked fine converting a .mov file exported from After Effects.

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use Export --> Save for web (Legacy), I get this error message: "The operation could not be completed. The system cannot find the path specified."

When I use Export --> Export as..., I get the export window where I can select the GIF option, but it only exports one image, the image I have selected in the timeline.

Incredibly, incredibly frustrating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please read this (in particular the section titled "Supply pertinent information for more timely and effective answers”):

https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community/community-how-to-guide-tips-amp-best-practices/td...

What have you done for trouble-shooting so far? 

What are the path and the file’s name? Any potentially problematic letters? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2015 Aug 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the normal save for web

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2015 Jul 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to export 6 frames to an animated GIF in CC 2015. If I just go to "Export>Export As" only 1 of the frames is showing on the left side. If I go to "Export>Save for Web (Legacy)" it shows the animation working in the preview but once exported doesn't animate. HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new Export> Export As workflow does not export animated gifs, at this time. It is likely something that will be supported in the future, however.

To export an animated gif in PS using Photoshop CC 2015, do not use artboards. Please use the Export>Save for Web (Legacy) option without artboards. The Save for Web functionality doesn't support artboards and likely never will. Instead, we will continue to improve and add to the Export As workflows.

For more details, you can go here: Save for Web in Photoshop CC 2015

Joan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Joan! Can't seem to find where you can select an option to save without artboards. Can you please tell me where that is? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 07, 2015 Jul 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Angela,

This is not an option, you just need to remove the content from the artboard and delete your artboard in the layers panel. Save for Web has not changed in this release. So, the way you made animated gifs has also not changed at all. The problem is that if you try to use new features like artboards with Save for Web, it won't work well as we didn't update Save for Web to work with artboards.

Sorry about this.

Joan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2015 Jul 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I will try that next time. Luckily we have a machine with CS6 here so I was able to use that in the meantime. Every update creates changes and you have to relearn how to what what you have always done! Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2015 Oct 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm creating an animated GIF and after reading all of this I need to know how to remove or change the artboard from the layer without having to recreate my animation all over again.  Can you please detail how to do this?  I tried copying the layers, but does not work.  I tried clicking and dragging the layers to a new workspace that is not in artboard format, but no avail.  Thanks for any advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2015 Oct 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had the same problem! You can delete the artboard from the layers panel, the "canvas" remains behind and then you can then resize that to the original size you wanted for the animation and save for web as normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2016 Apr 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While helpful, THIS IS EXTREMELY UNFORTUNATE. I'm now left with the option of rebuilding the gif animation or recreating the elements from scratch???? All discovered AT THE FINAL STEP OF EXPORTING. This is highly unkind. And unprofitable. I'm very disappointed, Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please consider asking your users what features are most used before phasing things out and not replacing them. Making something a legacy feature before creating a replacement makes me think you don't really know what we are using this software for. It's ridiculous that I have the most powerful image processing software available, for which I will be paying a handsome subscription fee for the rest of my professional life, when freely available .gif creation tools outclass what Adobe has to offer me. It might not be as big of a problem if Fireworks was still being developed but as for now–please just take a moment to realize animated .gifs have taken on a new importance on social media and to be hamstringed in trying to keep the production of this file type in my CC workflow while paying for the privilege really kind of gets my goat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Lori,

We did not remove the capability to get animated gifs using Save for Web. Save for Web was untouched (except for the "Legacy" label in this release). For this reason, Save for Web doesn't work with the new artboard feature.

The "legacy" tag is explained in detail in this post:

http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/2015/06/save-for-web-in-photoshop-cc-2015.html

Joan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand what is happening and have read the blog post before commenting here. My point is that designating a useful function as legacy before having a method to replace it within the entire CC suite seems to discount how many of us are using the software.

I do comprehend the reasons behind the legacy status and the perspective of the Adobe developers; I think it's important that they are also understanding of this issue from a user prospective in return.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your perspective, Lori. In retrospect, the legacy label may have been premature and confusing to a user. I think that is why we tried to communicate why we did it in the blog post and enforce the fact that we won't take away Save for Web until Export As has suitable functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it might also be the connotation the word legacy has for those of us who have been through many new versions of Adobe software–updating legacy text and converting older-version files, etc., so it makes it sound like it's being phased out like other outmoded features or formats. Thank you for your response, and it's good to know it will be around until it's replaced. As a user of Photoshop for over 20 years, sometimes a change in a part of my workflow that I have come to depend on and even take for granted just takes a mental adjustment akin muscle memory retraining!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines