• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changes to Pantone Color Books

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of the Pantone Color Books that are pre-loaded in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign will be phased-out from future software updates starting in August 2022. To access the complete set of Pantone Color Books, Pantone requires customers to purchase a premium license through Pantone Connect and install a plug-in using Adobe Exchange.  

For more information, please refer to the following FAQ pages:

HelpX: Pantone FAQ (Photoshop) 

HelpX: Pantone FAQ (Illustrator) 

HelpX: Pantone FAQ (InDesign) 

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

go back to a previous installation (or a backup) in the application folder > Presets > Color Books

For Photoshop you're looking for files with the ACB extension.

Illustrator and InDesign can create swatches from ACO and ASE files.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: 

Photoshop versions released in August, September, and October 2022 will continue to render Pantone colors Gray/Black unavailable. Updating to the November 2022 version of Photoshop will fix this workflow.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/pantone-color-books-photoshop.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kevin stohlmeyer wrote:

UPDATE: 

Photoshop versions released in August, September, and October 2022 will continue to render Pantone colors Gray/Black unavailable. Updating to the November 2022 version of Photoshop will fix this workflow.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/pantone-color-books-photoshop.html

To be clear, this works for spot channels created with the older, original versions of the Pantone color book files (e.g. Pantone+ Solid Coated, Pantone solid coated (lowercase)).

It does not work with updated color book files (ACB) from Pantone. (e.g. V4)

(If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say they "baked in" the tables they were licensed to use. There still is no "swatch" with color attributes. It's still a live table reference.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pantone+ CMYK Coated and Uncoated Libraries are incorrect after last update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

actually what I should have said is the Pantone+ Solid Coated and Uncoated Library just disappeared after last update and appears to have been replaced with the CMYK library... or it was just removed altogether. Now textile printers have nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exact version/build are you on?

Do you mean that they now open with the correct name and colour, but if edited they are then mapped to a hopefully "similar" hue/colour from another book such as APNA (rather than being displayed as black)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I should have stated was teh Pantone+ Solid Coated and Uncoated has been removed or replaced with the CMYK library.. Now textile printers have nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

they were there the day before yesterday before last "update"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read the post I submitted in response to your query - Pantone has removed their libraries starting with this year's Adobe updates. You can either subscribe to Pantone Connect or download your previous .acb files and load them in your current Adobe installation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thansk Kevin, I'm actually using Photoshop primarily... I know most of the other Pantone libraries were removed a few weeks or months ago but Adobe stated they were keeping the Solid library and it has remained and I've been using it throughout several updates since then, until the last... what a nightmare for printers.. the workflow for selecting solid pantone colors with the dropper tool within a photoshop file is quite a task now. It seems to me one should just be able to purchase the libraries and load them into the app if money were the only issue. Are you aware of the reason behind the divorce? Pantone wants too much money or Adobe may be planning their own color library? system..? 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cant say for sure but I would point the finger at Pantone. Adding the color books into the appropriate Photoshop folders restores the functionality, but also Adobe has taken steps with the latest updates to preserve existing Spot Colors in Photoshop specifically based on the blowback from users.

Not pandering, but really do appreciate that they did that after unjustly taking hits for Pantone having a half-baked solution after removal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats great Adobe is preserving existing spot colors now.. thats was a drag re-converting colors and a real headscratcher. If I might ask, how do I find and load the appropriate color book into the appropriate folders.. is there a link you could direct me to?.. I was looking for a work around but never found a resolution. I have the Pantone subscription but havent been able to find out how to get those libraries back in Adobe apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

go back to a previous installation (or a backup) in the application folder > Presets > Color Books

For Photoshop you're looking for files with the ACB extension.

Illustrator and InDesign can create swatches from ACO and ASE files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks DCardillo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but Adobe stated they were keeping the Solid library

By @chad17509998t292

Back in September, Adobe advised:

After November 2022, the only Pantone Color books that will remain are:

• Pantone + CMYK Coated
  • Pantone + CMYK Uncoated
  • Pantone + Metallic Coated

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/adobe-color.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my oversight... as I mentioned the Solid library was available after all the others dropped off so I must have assumed those were the ones they were keeping - without actually reading closely 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pantones were always the bane of my existence. Doing ad design for a newspaper, I'd get clients that submit images or PDFs that would go overboard with the Pantone and we'd have to convert it to something we could use, because we didn't have permission to use it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ORRRRRR, you could use some software that doesn't require you to become a complete slave to the money requirement for creativity. Just a thought...

https://www.culturehustleusa.com/products/freetone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines