• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing 'background contents' setting in existing PS document?

New Here ,
May 22, 2017 May 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When creating a new Photoshop file you are able to select either white, black or transparent as the documents background. Is there a way to change this after the fact in an existing document? I'm not after other methods - I need to do this for an action.

Cheers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

One additional point to add to the correct answers above.

If you want to change the background to be transparent, as opposed to a pixel colour, or even use the eraser tool on it to make part of it transparent - then you will need to change it from a "background layer" to a normal layer (Layer 0). To do this click on the lock symbol in the layers panel.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. If the background is a separate layer just fill that layer with the color or erase it the pixels for getting transparency. Otherwise, you need first manually select the background.

Marlon Ceballos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Selecting the Background Layer, setting Foreground Color and filling (or changing the Background Layer to a regular one and removing it) should work out fine in an Action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One additional point to add to the correct answers above.

If you want to change the background to be transparent, as opposed to a pixel colour, or even use the eraser tool on it to make part of it transparent - then you will need to change it from a "background layer" to a normal layer (Layer 0). To do this click on the lock symbol in the layers panel.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With newer versions of PSD (2020, for sure), select your artboard using the Artboard tool.  Up in the top bar — right side of Size, Width, Height —is a dropdown from which you can select Transparent, White, Black, or Other…; that's your background canvas setting for the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have just saved me so much time!! Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You save my life too! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This answer should be updated and pinned as the answer. Exactly what I was looking for, the previous answer was such a basic answer with 1 upvote, whereas this has 10 upvotes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So helpful. Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 05, 2023 May 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop Version 24 (year 2023) for Mac, the command you use to set the document background for a regular document (not an artboard) when you create it is found in the File > New window under the name Background Contents.  However, if you are working on a document and do not like the background you chose, you can change it for that document (on Mac) in Apple icon > Settings > Transparency & Gamut (I believe the setting command is named Preferences in Windows.) 

Here, you can change both the size of the boxes in the transparency grid and their color, or choose a solid color in place of the transparency grid.

Screenshot 2023-05-05 at 12.21.48 PM.jpg

Tip:  White backgrounds on my display screen bother my eyes, and I just discovered that changing these settings to the ones shown above knock down the brightness of the transparent canvas noticeably without making it harder to see the contents of Layers panel thumbnails.

Note:  If you only want to change the background contents for one file, you will need to go back and change the default in Settings (Preferences) at some point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines