• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing brush size shortcuts(Ctrl+alt +second click and drag)

Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2017 Mar 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, is where any way to change brush size/hardness shortcut (CTRL + ATL + second mouse button drag) to something else? It is extremely uncomfortable while using a graphic tablet. Sadly can't find anything similar in Keyboard shortcut menu.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 04, 2017 Mar 04, 2017

Can you not just use :

[   ]  to decrease/increase size

{  }  to decrease /increase brush hardness

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For reason or other, either of these suggested ways not working on my Mac. When using Ctrl + Opt +drag L/R, it seems to duplicate image. Using [], nothing changes on screen. 

What could be the problem? Any other settings I have accidently created somewhere?

Thanks in advance for hints.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Barb Binder 
When you are comfortable doing something a certain way it's easy to believe that way is good enough for everyone. In this case it just is not true. When painting in PS the ability to visually scale the brush in large percentages with one click and without putting down the Wacom stylus is a HUGE time-saver. Adobe just needs to make the existing "Cntrl+Opt+Drag" shortcut work as it used to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2021 Sep 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed the brush resize shortcut keys from '[ ]" to 'z' and 'x'. That way the keys I use most often are at my left hand and I dont' have to look at the keyboard when I am working.  This  removes the shortcut from 'zoom' and 'backround\foreground colour' but I can live with that. I use 'a' instead for 'background\foreground' (and 'd' to go to the default black and white) and never used 'z' and the zoom tool to zoom anyway ('alt/cmd/space') is much easier.   I also use the 'alt cmd' to drag the brush size for large brushes but find it is too inaccurate for precise brushes.   I find it is harder to teach people keyboard shortcuts that don't have some relationship between the key used and the result ('b' for 'brush' or 'e' for 'eraser' for example) and I think that is why these shorcut defaults survive. You don't have to stick with the set P'shop gives you - change it to what is convenient to your workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not the "Right" answer to this question. The question is "Why doesn't the dynamicly scale brush feature work like it used to?". 

Yes, there are keys that will incrementally change the brush size up and down, but they are a very poor substitute for dynamically changing the brush size to ANY size in a single drag. This feature worked flawlessly in PS 2018. In PS 2020 it is completely unreliable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@rcraighead wrote:

This is not the "Right" answer to this question. The question is "Why doesn't the dynamicly scale brush feature work like it used to?". 

The OP's question that was posted on 04 March 2017 was asking if the Ctrl+Alt+second click and drag shortcut could be changed.

~ Jane

B12EE9F2-2520-4536-8ACC-E742A0B73DC1.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

If you use a wacom tablet you can change the right click button to ALT+ right click in the stylus tab in the wacom properties menu :

Keyboard > modifiers.... Unfortunately you'll lose the possibility to just right click with that button.

Matthieu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

matthieug43873433, the best solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

thx for the solution!

I changed my wacom pen to that, but that only works till the pen hits the tablet, at this point i have a "left click" !!!

ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm not sure I understand well your problem...

If you release the stylus button without touching the screen, it will work, no need to hit the tablet to validate the brush size.

Did you select "floating click" in the wacom properties "Options..." window ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys,

I see on youtube guys are having current values of size/hardenss of brush while doing the adjustment.

How can I turn it on?

I work on PS CS5.

Will be gratefull for help.

Regards,

Marcin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I know this is an old thread, but I thought I could update, as I found a solution that worked for me. In case anyone else stumbles in here.

I'm mostly a Mac and iPad user, and I've just started using Photoshop on Windows and am going crazy by the CTRL+ALT+RIGHT BUTTON resizing, as I'm used to only having to use only the keyboard. And I don't want to bind my pen buttons.

My solution was to use my Logitech G110 gaming keyboard which comes with lots of customizable keys, and bind my G12 button to CTRL+ALT+RIGHT BUTTON. That way I only have to press one key and move the mouse / pen to change brush size!

While I was at it I bound the G11 key to SHIFT+ALT+RIGHT CLICK to have only one key plus pen to quick change colors.

If you don't have a Logitech keyboard I noticed that Microsoft has a way to rebind keys. Not sure if this will work with mouse clicks as well, but could be worth a try. Otherwise I'm sure there are software you can get that does this with any keyboard.

Logitech G110 on Amazon:

https://amzn.to/36IhSqe

Microsofts software solution: 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4052277/accessories-how-do-i-reassign-hot-keys-for-my-keybo...

A third alternative I Googled for you:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/map-any-key-to-any-key-on-windows-xp-vista/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you get yourself a gaming mouse you can set the mouse wheel sideways buttons to [] and to {} with mouse g-shift

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been years and they are still incapable of grasping why people demand the remap of those hardcoded shortcuts. As usual adobe devs have no idea about the real world use cases of their products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't find that to be true at all about the Photoshop developers. If you want to tell them, though, the best place is:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

As users on this forum, we can only answer questions and help find solutions.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got into painting with a Wacom tablet and Illustrator. Now this... Still no fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi TokinG,

Is your question about Photoshop or Illustrator?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi i'm writing to You because i have no idea what else i suppose to do to fix my problem. The issue i'm facing is that i can't increase od decrease the size of brush and quick selection tool as well using combination alt+right mouse button . The alt button is kind of dead when i'm using these tools. Any ideas what i suppose to do to get it like it used to be? Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it quit easy with a  Wacom Pen bottom button set to Alt+Right Click

image.png

With a brush tool active I just hover the pen above the tablet and press the button and adjust the brush tip size and hardness by moving the pen Up, Down, Left, and Right observing Photoshop Brush Tip preview.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an old thread but still relevant. I just updated from PS 2018 to PS 2020 and find "Control+Option+Drag Left/Right" (Mac) now conflicts with "Control+Click" to open Brush panel. If the sequense of keys is not precise the Brush Panel will open. This was not the case with 2018. Is there any way to disable the "Open Brush Panel" shortcut in 2020 I never use it, don't even know if it existed in 2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those hot keys or keyboard shortcuts don't always work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2022 Dec 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My alternative solution is very specific, but maybe it helps some of you. I'm using a Wacom Pro Tablet, where I've configured the three lower left buttons to the shortcut (CTRL + ALT + Right Click). Now I can easily resize the brush with the tablet pen.

Best, David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2024 Feb 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the older versions of Photoshop, it was possible to change the brush size by holding ctrl + alt together with holding your left mouse button and the move your mouse left to decrease and move your mouse right to increase?

Could anybody help please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2024 Feb 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just so it's on the table - you can make custom single key shortcuts for brush size and hardness.

Open Keyboard Shortcuts and go to the Tools tab. Scroll down a bit and they're there. I use N and M for hardness, comma and period for size, just because they're at the bottom of the keyboard and easy to get to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines