• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color management not working with Photoshop and Windows 11?

People's Champ ,
Oct 24, 2021 Oct 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Windows 11, as of October 2021, there seems to be a problem where the color profile of the monitor cannot be obtained from software using the conventional API.

(For correct color management operation, there must be two profiles: the document profile and the correct monitor profile, but since the monitor profile cannot be retrieved correctly, applications that color manage will shift colors.)

Photoshop also has that problem.

SS 2021-10-25 1.34.49.png

*EIZO's web page

https://www.eizoglobal.com/support/compatibility/software/win/windows11/

*The page discussing color management in Windows 11

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-11/windows-11-color-management-not-working-chrome-on-...

(Translated from Japanese by DeepL.

Yamonov
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The profile listed next to RGB should be the name of the display profile the system is using. That "appears" to be what I'm seeing in your screen capture no? Isn't CG277.... the name of the dispaly profile for the display you're using? 

Also see this: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/windows-11.html

We strongly recommend you wait until we have released a compatible version of your app.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CG…は私の使用しているモニタプロファイルで、Color Navigatorによって作成されたものです。私の使用しているシステムはmac/BigSurですから、Windowsバグは関係ありません。皆さんが状態を自ら確認できるように作ったスクリーンショットです。

より詳しい説明はここにあります。

http://blog.livedoor.jp/yamma_ma/archives/56160506.html

AdobeやMicrosoftがこのバグを重大なものと捉えてすぐに行動することが大事です。参考blogにもあるように、うっかりアップデートしたり、Win11がプリインストールされたマシンを買った人向けに早くこれが周知され、また早くバグ修正されるとよいですね。

Yamonov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, apparently a bug in Windows 11. This is why it's never a good idea to jump on a new operating system. Wait until these things are ironed out.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/yellow-background-in-new-images-in-ph... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There seems to be a bug in Windows 11 causing this issue, you'd be better to check online for issues with applications before upgrading the operating system. Apologies that this advice com,es too late for you as you've already taken the plunge.

You can see here also that Eizo have not yet provided W11 compatibility.

https://www.eizoglobal.com/support/compatibility/software/win/windows11/

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management
[please only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order of posts]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, am seeing this issue when working with Capture One, then editing in PS, and back to C1. The image looks great in C1 on my calibrated monitor (NEC PA series), then looks oversaturated/etc. in PS, then when back in C1 after PS edits, looks fine again (in C1). If Adobe wasn't aware of this issue, then their regression testing isn't up to snuff as I'm running a new computer, latest versions of software, Nvidia graphics card, etc. - pretty standard configuration. And why smaller companies such as C1 and Affinity Photo (who also does NOT have this issue) can have their stuff working at launch vs. Adobe with all it's resources? C'mon guys - and it would have been nice to see a notification from Adobe that there is an issue (I spent over an hour on a chat with Adobe support only to come to the conclusion that this was a bug - hard to believe I'm the first person to uncover this given that Win11 has been out for a while...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are several Win32 API functions to get monitor profiles, but among them, the GetICMProfile and EnumICMProfiles functions have a problem that does not work properly on Windows 11.

Photoshop seems to be using GetICMProfile in the Adobe Color Engine DLL. I guess that's why Photoshop can't get the correct profile of the monitor.

I am not sure about Capture One, but Affinity Photo uses the WcsGetDefaultColorProfile function, which works fine in Windows 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - that makes sense! I've tried messing around with the color settings options in PS, but either they do nothing or make the image look fine in PS, but then when saved and viewed back in C1, they then look washed out. I hope Adobe realizes this is a SIGNIFICANT bug and is working with MS to address? Makes color editing in PS a non-starter - or even using freq sep to fix color issues - 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barry, looks like you are right and this IS a significant issue between Photoshop and Win11. Please keep us posted here if you get a fix as I am sure you're not the only one.

IMO it’s a Microsoft issue as they appear to have broken a long established method for developers to call the display profile. 

However, try reporting the bug here please: 

credit to: Jean-Claude Tremblay

Below is my list of user-voice links for submitting bugs and features requests to Adobe.

Adobe Photoshop & Lightroom https://feedback.photoshop.com/

also 

You can also report it as a bug here

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/categories/photoshop_family_photoshop

I hope this helps neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management [please only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order oI hope this helps
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure Adobe is already aware of this. I've reported it in various places to reach the developers.

The reason I bothered to write here, after the report was made, is that Adobe's official support page does not clearly state what kind of problem will occur when using Photoshop on Windows 11.

As of November 23, it still doesn't say.

Since it's a big problem that "Photoshop can't do color management", I think they SHOULD announce "wait for the update because of this problem" as soon as possible instead of vague "Win11 is not supported yet".

Yamonov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Since it's a big problem that "Photoshop can't do color management", I think they should announce "wait for the update because of this problem" as soon as possible instead of vague "Win11 is not supported yet"."

yep, that’s fair comment

I hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2021 Dec 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still having a problem with Windows 11 and Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop.  Using Eizo CG319X and updated ColorNavigator 7.1.6. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The change in programming has apparently happened in W11, the protocol previously used by Adobe to call for the display icc profile has apparently been removed  - I would hope that there will be an update for that from Microsoft.

Early adopters beware

I hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 05, 2022 Feb 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This got fixed in "January 25, 2022—KB5008353 (OS Build 22000.469)".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone else verified this, or does it show up somewhere on Adobe's website? I don't want to go thru the hassle of upgrading (again) to Win11, only to have to roll it back if it hasn't been addressed. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it's not fixed, still got the same oversaturated colors in Photoshop and Bridge. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it did got fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It did get fixed - mine is working as it should and has been for a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Uneternal wrote:

No it's not fixed, still got the same oversaturated colors in Photoshop and Bridge. 

The Windows 11 bug is fixed and has been for a long time. You have some other problem, but lacking any information it's impossible to say what.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2022 Jul 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the list of fixes that Microsoft is testing for Windows 11 c build 22000.466.png

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2022 Dec 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been an absolute nightmare, why is this not resolved???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From user reports and Microsoft's information it HAS been fixed.

What issues are you seeing?

I hope this helps neil barstow,  colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer

google me "neil barstow colourmanagement"  for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@iamsikora  It was resolved - I use Windows 11 here (v22H2) without issues using Eizo monitors and Color Navigator 7.1.9.19

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done every update for graphics drivers, windows, photoshop, you name it. New color profiles, erased old ones, changed them, this is killing my workflow. I don't know how or when it was fixed but it was never fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines