• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Connecting Smart Objects

Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2024 Feb 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very specific, but I bought a canvas mockup (side view) and I'm trying to figure out how to do it myself by reverse engeneering, because I need a different size. For context, I upload a picture in the smart object and then it automatically updates the canvas with the image and mirrored boarders (sides of the canvas as a reflection - horizontal flip) so it looks 3D.   

I'm trying to figure out how to connect both smart objects (the front & the sides) together so that when I upload on one smart object, it will add it the the next. It seems almost like a premade function. 

I tried to do this for 3 days straight and I'm losing my mind. With the masks it's so confusing to me. Any information would be helpful. Here is a photo to help.  I add my photo to the Canvas lyout - mirror wrap and you can see it updated under mirror wrap folder at the bottom. and the second "2cm wrap" looks inverted. 

Anyway thank you for your help!!!! 

Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 4.50.42 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 26, 2024 Feb 26, 2024

Does the demo below cover what you want to set up?

(Sorry about the low quality, the forum software seems to degrade animated GIF.)

The steps shown are:

1. Place the file as an embedded Smart Object. I did it using drag and drop, because that creates an embedded Smart Object. (Adding the Option key, or Alt key in Windows, places a linked Smart Object.) But you can also choose File > Place Embedded.

2. Duplicate the layer. I did it by dragging with the Option/Alt key held down.

3. Flip th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what app?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

p.s. i don't think the adobe website, and forums in particular, are easy to navigate, so don't spend a lot of time searching that forum list. do your best and we'll move the post (like this one has already been moved) if it helps you get responses.

<"moved from using the community">

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the Using the Community forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums).
Please tell us what Adobe application you are using so that this can be moved to the proper forum for help.

Scroll down here to see a list of the forums:
https://community.adobe.com/.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

double post 

Connecting Smart Objects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very specific, but I bought a canvas mockup (side view) and I'm trying to figure out how to do it myself by reverse engeneering, because I need a different size. For context, I upload a picture in the smart object and then it automatically updates the canvas with the image and mirrored boarders (sides of the canvas as a reflection - horizontal flip) so it looks 3D.   

I'm trying to figure out how to connect both smart objects (the front & the sides) together so that when I upload on one smart object, it will add it the the next. It seems almost like a premade function. 

I tried to do this for 3 days straight and I'm losing my mind. With the masks it's so confusing to me.  Here is a photo to help.  I add my photo to the Canvas lyout - mirror wrap and you can see it updated under mirror wrap folder at the bottom. and the second "2cm wrap" looks inverted. 

Any information would be helpful.

Thank you for your help!!!! 

Kaitlin5C11_0-1708568590906.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please provide the file or at least post meaningful screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) and the Canvas visible? 

As it is it is unclear to me which ones are instances of the same Smart Objects and which ones aren’t. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes  here is the panel. The first layer (marked in red) is where I upload the original photo, then it automatically appears in the "mirror wrap" folder in both smart object at the bottom (also in red). The first one being the front and the second layer is the boarder as you can see from the picture of my art. Screenshot 2024-02-22 at 10.54.54 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-22 at 10.54.47 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So those three are instances of the same Smart Object? 

Then inserting new content in the opened SO and saving should update them all anyway. 

What exactly is giving you problems? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to know how to automatically use the same photo (used in the smart object) in two layers - one that is the front of the canvas and one that is the boarder. - The boarder is a mirrored effect, so it would have to automatically update into the boarder layer as a mirrored image.

In other words, this is what happens and I want to figure out how to do it myself: -  I add the photo in the first layer (in red) - when I save it the canvas mockup is done (the front and border). When I look at the panel the photo I added to the smart layer is automatically placed into two layers: the front of the canvas layer and inverted in the border layer.

Basically I want to know how to automatically apply one smart object (image) into different shapes (flipped horizontally & vertically)

Hope this is more clear. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When one copies an instance of a Smart Object (Layer > New > Layer Via Copy, cmd-J) the two instances link to the same Smart Object. 

Then one can transform the two instances, apply Smart Filters, apply Layer Masks and/or Vector Masks etc. to them separately. 

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible to communicate the problem you are experiencing? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2024 Feb 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What tool bar? I thought I did? But how do I make it reverse with only one picture?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2024 Feb 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not appreciate snippety screenshots.

Toolbar: Window > Tools

Options Bar: Window > Options

But how do I make it reverse with only one picture?

What does this mean? 

Please provide meaningful screenshots or sketches to clarify. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Merged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 23, 2024 Feb 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SInce you already paid for this, why not go back to the author and request a different size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2024 Feb 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have many as many different sizes as canvas sizes, so it would be better if I was able to create customized mockups on my own. I also want to learn more about smart objects and other techniques to improve my skills.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2024 Feb 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the demo below cover what you want to set up?

(Sorry about the low quality, the forum software seems to degrade animated GIF.)

The steps shown are:

1. Place the file as an embedded Smart Object. I did it using drag and drop, because that creates an embedded Smart Object. (Adding the Option key, or Alt key in Windows, places a linked Smart Object.) But you can also choose File > Place Embedded.

2. Duplicate the layer. I did it by dragging with the Option/Alt key held down.

3. Flip the duplicate. I chose Edit > Transform > Flip Horizontal.

4. The duplicate is supposed to be the mirror wrap border, so limit the width. I did it using a vector mask, for easy editing later in step 6.

5. Skew both layers to set them at an angle, to show the wrap around the corner. I did it by choosing Edit > Free Transform, and holding down the Command key (Control in Windows) while dragging a side handle on the transform bounding box.

6. For the edge layer, adjust its mask for the width I actually want the edge to be after skewing. This requires first unlinking the mask, because in this step we don’t want to edit the Smart Object, just its mask.

7. Reposition both layers. This requires first relinking the mask, and selecting both layers.

8. Swap out another image. I did this by selecting one of the Smart Objects and choosing Layer > Smart Objects > Replace Contents. This one-step swap is what makes it a proper template.

Photoshop Smart Objects canvas wrap reflect.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines