• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert all text to shapes - bulk conversion, multiple layers?

Participant ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a lot of goups and text layers inside. I need to convert them all (text layers) to shapes before export to PDF. Can I make some bulk convert?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Do you use Layer filters?

Filter only Type layers

And convert to Shape.  They become individual Shape layers.  Is that OK?

If not, you can filter for Shape layers and merge (Ctrl e)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bryan,

Could you please check the steps suggested here and let us know if it helps?

Batch - Convert shapes from text

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you use Layer filters?

Filter only Type layers

And convert to Shape.  They become individual Shape layers.  Is that OK?

If not, you can filter for Shape layers and merge (Ctrl e)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BryanPS  wrote

I have a lot of goups and text layers inside. I need to convert them all (text layers) to shapes before export to PDF. Can I make some bulk convert?

Hi Bryan,

How can we convince you not to convert your text layers to shapes before exporting to PDF? Not only is it not considered a best practice, it is a bad practice. Keep your text live.

Please read this entire thread, but start with the response from Dov Isaacs​ from Adobe and follow his recommendations.

Re: [Photoshop + Acrobat] "Export As Optimized PDF" distorts / garbles all vector data

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Jane.  Good point.  I did wonder, and should have asked why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ask why and do not do it. This is not a great workflow.

Leaving live text is the correct workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  napisał(-a)

BryanPS   wrote

Hi Bryan,

How can we convince you not to convert your text layers to shapes before exporting to PDF? Not only is it not considered a best practice, it is a bad practice. Keep your text live.

Please read this entire thread, but start with the response from https://forums.adobe.com/people/Dov+Isaacs  from Adobe and follow his recommendations.

Re: [Photoshop + Acrobat] "Export As Optimized PDF" distorts / garbles all vector data 

~ Jane

I have to because I need send it to print. Printing house need all text converted to shapes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BryanPS  wrote

I have to because I need send it to print. Printing house need all text converted to shapes.

Then you are dealing with a “printing house” that is certainly not following best or even prudent workflow practices. The only time where converting text to outlines is really required is for certain sign making equipment that cuts material based on vector data and even that equipment is now moving towards handling text properly via fonts!

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably you are right but all printing houses where I was sending projects throught mamy years (logos, branding gadgets, business cards) always said: "TEXT AS SHAPES" - and they never take projects where text layers is as text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you send PDF, these smarty-pants “printing house” Luddites will have no way to determine whether the content originated from Photoshop text layers or from elsewhere! 

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BryanPS  wrote

Probably you are right

I have been trusting Dov for over 25 years and will confirm that he is right. Is finding another print shop a possibility?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've never had problems with it. I do not care about it, I can send text layers, and I can also send text as shapes They all simply want text as shapes so I have to adapt to this situation. I started this topis because project has lot of goups and text layers but I can't force printing houses requires.

And also I got to tell you (my observations) there is no difference is it small printing house where my customer sending business cards, or large printing house working for one of the biggest garden magazines in my country (like in this case). Always the same:

- Text as shapes

- Multiply for black text layers

- min. 300 dpi

- CMYK

- JPG, PDF or TIFF files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines