Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert Image into Dots

New Here ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe Folks,

I am very interested in turning an image into a series of dots. I want to have the same size dots but just clustered differently if possible. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this with Adobe software? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

defaultovwfkbch51xl_0-1627864160010.pngdefaultovwfkbch51xl_1-1627864170628.png

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

There is some free software, Stipplegen,  which will do this. It processes the image repeatedly, each iteration providing finer results. It ouputs .SVG files, so Illustrator would be best for editing the results.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might be what you are looking for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FajAfmojcvU

Download the photo effect on sevenstyles: https://sevenstyles.com/item/dots-photoshop-action/s/16 This Photoshop tool will automatically create a dot art photo effect in Photoshop in under 2 minutes. Whether you are a Photoshop beginner or professional, this tool will save lots of time. The end ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is some free software, Stipplegen,  which will do this. It processes the image repeatedly, each iteration providing finer results. It ouputs .SVG files, so Illustrator would be best for editing the results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Image->Mode->Bitmap and play around with dithering methods.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2023 Apr 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am more curious how you generated this image on the right with matlab. How did you do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2023 Apr 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know much about Matlab, but I think this involves Voronoi diagrams.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That does seem interesting but the identically sized »dots« at varying distances and angles (depending on the original image’s luminance) (edit: but without overlapping »dots«) seem so far removed from a classic halftone screen that I suspect they are way beyond Photoshop’s default functionality; a Filter or Script might be able to achieve such results, though, I guess. 

But the software @Semaphoric linked to seems like an excellent match already. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if ImageJ has this capability as well?

http://imagej.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2023 Apr 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, @defaultovwfkbch51xl the closest you could get in Photoshop, create a white layer below, then use the Dissolve blend mode, strongly reduce the opacity of the image, then flatten and use Filters>Other>Minimum, with preserve roundness, but it is far from a perfec circle...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2024 Feb 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

PSX_20240212_115607.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines