Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Could not open "filename.psd" because the file is locked

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not able to open open a few psds, getting this error

Could not open “RAM5DC_LH_edit.psd” because the file is locked, you do not have necessary access permissions, or another program is using the file. Use the ‘Get Info’ command in the Finder to ensure the file is unlocked and you have permission to access the file. If the problem persists, save the document to a different file or duplicate it in the Finder.

What we tried for this error resolution - 

1. Gave photoshop full disk access under the preferences

2. The issue is only for a few files and if the file is copied to a different location on the same file server, the issue is resolved.

3. Update the Photoshop to the latest version.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Yes. All the time. It is because the server and Photoshop are still communicating and it thinks PS still has the file open.

If you are the only one accessing the file, do this as a test.

1. Quit Photoshop
  2. Unmount the server share
  3. Remount the server
  4. Open the file

Does the error still occur?

If it doesn't that points directly to the read/write speed issues on your server and Photoshop. Hence why Adobe does not support working across a network.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drag the files to your local HD and they should open.

Opening off a server via Photoshop is sketchy at best.

Between server permissions and read/write speed - the official Adobe position is to never work directly on a server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response. I have always been able to open a .psd file from the server, it has never been an issue. I cannot possible drag every image I need to look at onto my desktop. If I have to work on it, yes I agree off the server is best. 

Has anyone had this warning come up?

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 1.21.12 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. All the time. It is because the server and Photoshop are still communicating and it thinks PS still has the file open.

If you are the only one accessing the file, do this as a test.

1. Quit Photoshop
  2. Unmount the server share
  3. Remount the server
  4. Open the file

Does the error still occur?

If it doesn't that points directly to the read/write speed issues on your server and Photoshop. Hence why Adobe does not support working across a network.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin, do you happen to know what version of photoshop this started occuring with? as I'd like to install an older version that doesn't have this issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its always been this way its not a specific Photoshop issue. We have the same issue with Excel docs too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My server connection is via thunderbolt 3 to an array that is way faster than any internal drive, with 8 disks giving me about 2 gigabytes per second (or 16 gbits per second). So speed is not the issue, it's photoshop programming. My photoshop files are around 1.5Gb and have many linked psd's and psb's, so this is not possible to move files to my local drive for editing and move back when done, as the links reside in various folders. I'm also editing in Premiere Pro and After Effects all the time, and have no issues with those apps with file access. This is a serious fault from Adobe with photoshop, which never used to exist, as I've been on this current server setup for several years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not just speed, it's different and unpredictable server configurations. Working directly off a server has never been supported by Adobe and is at your own risk.

You can bang your head against the wall and keep insisting it should work, or you can adjust your workflow to a safe procedure. We all have to do that. I deal with two different server setups at work and this is just a basic precaution.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/networks-removable-media-photoshop.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been an issue since I've been working in the industry over 25 years ago. It's not a new issue that "never used to exist". Working directly off removeable media or network servers has never been supported by Adobe. I've learned the hard way to not do this by losing/corrupting files more than once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been working with photoshop since the early 90's on version 1.0, although only on removeable media/ servers since 2005. Never had the problem until recently, in the last year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can usually get away with working directly to server - until you don't.

It has always been at your own risk. Nothing has changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will say that it has gotten significantly worse since Mac OS Catalina for Mac users. Each update (Big Sur, Monterey) has increased the security and really screwed up our connections to servers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue.  I am working with a 2.66 GB Photoshop file.  I can work off from the server on my MacBook Pro (2015), but I can not work off the server with my recent purchase of the Mac Studio (2022).  The MacBook Pro and Mac Studio have Monterey 12.4.  The MacBook Pro has Photoshop 23.2.1.  The Mac Studio has Photoshop 23.3.2.  I tried opening other large files files on my Mac Studio and get the same "Could not open “[file name].psb” because the file is locked...".  This seems to point to the idea that Adobe is the problem and not Apple.  There seems to have been a programing change in the software somewhere between Photoshop 23.2.1 and 23.3.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry this is solely an Apple issue as much as people want to point the finger at Adobe. The sheer size of that file would give me hesitation of working directly off a connected server. AFP and SMB protocols have become increasingly worse with each security update.

There are so many factors that affect connections - speed (incoming/outgoing), server usage, what type of drive, connection issues, etc.

It's so various and uncontrolled at scale that Adobe's official position is to not work directly off remote servers period.

If you truly believe it's just an Adobe issue do not attempt to work on Excel documents on a Mac from a Windows server with various users. It will corrupt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kevin stohlmeyer I am wondering how the Video teams deal with this issue, now that they endorsed productions, that rely on servers (sometimes remote).

Granted, even if they deal with gigabytes of files, the edits are made on a project, not on the files themselves, unlike Ps that might save back to the files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We also obviously have cloud enabled editing and file storage. Client-server is a mostly-solved problem, it just takes software on both ends to work together (remote databases with hundreds of clients is a reality in every large company, for example.)

OTOH, go someplace like Spiceworks and look at IT folks needing help with Exchange and Outlook.

I think the difference is whether Adobe can promise that files won't be corrupted or lost if the network breaks. That's a lot easier with packet-based data that can be incrementally saved vs 300MB files that are saved all at one time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem since we bought the new macbook pro (M1pro chip)
We have 4 imacs 27 (intel chip) and 1 new macbook pro (M1 pro). The problem accourd only on M1 pro.

Someone else has a similar comparison?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Ive got the same problems....4 new Macbook Pro M1 with all the same "saving or opening" problems....still got one Designer on a 2020 Intel iMac 27" and runs without any problem. I hope there will be a fix soon....got 4 frustrated Designers 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no "fix" coming. This has been around for decades. It's the nature of the limitations of the physical hardware. Drag local, edit, save then drag back to backup on a server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been an issue for literally decades. It works until it doesn't. I've seen it with pretty much every combination of Windows and Mac clients, with Windows, Mac, Linux, Solaris, and Netware servers. USUALLY you can work off a remote server but eventually, something breaks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2023 Jun 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enough with the this has always been the case, it's simply not true... maybe there was a similar issue, but this one is APPLE SILICON based... end of story. Since I migrated to M chips, this has become a plague on my workflow, if i return to Intel or even a VM for testing, this DOES NOT happen. Same files, same MacOS and PS versions... 

I thought I had fixed this issue using DAS or DAS connected to other M1 servers... but it still happens 😞
Apple sucks, never happens on PC. Dunno what it is that triggers this on M chips, but you'd think after 2.5 years they would address the issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen this as well on Mac with M1-chip and compared it to another with Intel. The issue can be avoided by disabling the preview column in Finder or changing to a view without preview. Most likely something is changed in Finders preview for M1/M2. 

Best regards
Adrian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats one fix. You also cannot use quick view (space bar) or access directly from the server and save back to the server. The OS maintains that "another application or user currently has the file open" the next time you try to access or act on the file. That is until you restart your Mac and break the connection between the OS and the server/network share.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't work for me unfortunately, the disconnect and reconnect to share does but I don't think jumping through hundred hoops is a fix :(... I'm totally losing confidence in Apple if they ignore pros.... pros work on networks, end of story. And Adobe's stance to not support this is such a cop out too... if they got involved with Apple, they'd get it fixed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Darthsaiyan this has been an issue with Macs for over a decade. I don't expect a solution from either anytime. The permanent solution for businesses is to invest in a DAM system to allow checkout/checkin of assets without read/write issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines