Exit

Creating smart object extremely slow when saving document in Ps

Engaged ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

MacBook Pro M1 Max 16'. 1tb ssd and 64gb of Ram. Latest version of Ps 24.3.0

Operation of creating a smart object on the new stamp layer takes extremely long time when in the same time saving the document (cmd S)

First I click on Cmd+S to start saving the doc (bottom left corner Saving % is slowly progressing)  >  Creating a new stamp layer and converting it to Smart object > a dialog box with the forward moving progress bar appears in the middle of the screen and is stuck there between 1 and 2 min sometimes even (much) longer (see screen shot), depending how big the saving file is.

I have also done the full reset& redownload of Photoshop. Didnt help the problem.

However if I fully save the the file first, creating of a smart object is near instant then. 

Anyone knows what is going on here and how to fix this?

Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 20.44.15.jpg

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2023 Mar 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop cannot (at current) save two images simultaneouly but saves one after the other. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont think I mentioned I have a problem with saving 2 images simmultaneously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you think a Smart Object is? 

A document (aka image) that’s embedded in another document (unless it’s a Linked Smart Object naturally). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 29, 2024 Feb 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an annoying problem for me too.  I even went into file handling and turned off compression of psd and psb files, as well as disabling maximize compatability, and its still REALLY slow.
The images im saving arent very big, only 2k x 2.5k.
Whats worse is it is inconsistant.  SOMETIMES it saves and updates within seconds, other times it gets stuck at 99% for up to 60 seconds while pushing my CPU to max the whole time.
Investigating further, it seems to only happen when I drag and drop an image into photoshop and it automatically imports it as a smart object.
If I create a new document, add a new layer, convert it to smart object, open it up and THEN drag and drop my  image into it, it saves MUCH faster.
I can confirm this by converting all of the smart ojects in my file using the above method.  Now it is 10x faster!  I've wasted hours of work waitiong for my smart objects to update, and now i've found a worklaround but this shouldn't be necessary!

There's clearly a bug involving importing images by dragging from an OS window and dropping it onto the canvas.

Adobe, please fix!

Windows 10 Home
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 29, 2024 Feb 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feature Requests (Idea) and Bug Reports are registered at Adobe, otherwise this is essentially a user Forum, though thankfully some Adobe employees do occasionally chime in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2024 Aug 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm that this is the issue, imported (drag n drop) are f-ing slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2024 Aug 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please read this (in particular the section titled "Supply pertinent information for more timely and effective answers”):
https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community/community-how-to-guide-tips-amp-best-practices/td...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines